Airline Mogul Forum

Maintenance costs & Setting prices

Kevjet

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
on: July 12, 2013, 05:21:42 pm
Hi! I would like to know if I can see the maintenance cost of each aircraft? If its not possible, Whats the best way to set a leasing or sell price?

Thanks!

dktc

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 04:53:17 pm
At this time, you cannot see the maintenance for each individual aircraft. In fact, your mx is calculated as a whole.

The best way to set a leasing price is based on acquisition cost. That is (or at least should be) one of the evaluation potential lessee will use when they look at the market.

The best way to set a sell price is based on the value of the aircraft. That is what the potential buyer will look at for the most part.

Of course you could get a premium at start of a world, but this generally works.

Or, another way would be to look at the aircraft market for comparable aircrafts, if the market in your world is active.
D Express (id 616) 8)
AM Membership Officer / Official Broker

Kevjet

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 03:56:18 pm
But for example, if I have a Boeing 737-500 (Age 1 / Cycles   2525 / Airframe Hours 10100 / Profit       €298,995) that I want to lease out, should I multiply the daily profit by 24 (month) to set the lease price?

In this case, €298,995*24 = €7.175,880 so €7.000.000-€7.200.000 Lease rate or is it too high?

Thanks!

1993matias

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Senior Manager
  • Play to have fun!
    • View Profile
    • Train pins and tie clips
Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 07:19:44 pm
I use the value to set a price. Try to have the aircraft pay for itself after around 75% of the lease term - longer lease term, lower rates.

dktc

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 02:28:49 pm
It really depends on your perspective.

If you are looking at buying aircrafts to lease out as an investment, you should always look at acquisition costs and period of return (IRR actually irl, but this is AM...).

Some people (like Matias) also takes lease terms into consideration. This is quite realistic, but would not work in AM. The reason being that AM does not have any early return penalty. It really does not guarantee that the lesee would not return within 6 months, even if the terms were 120 months.

I usually look at recouping the investment within 10-12 months.

Looking at the revenue is another way. That is exactly how your potential lessees would evaluate a lease. The issue with this method is that revenue on the same plane varies according to the hub/focus city it flies from, and the distance of routes it flies. You will end up with a range, rather than a rate.
And of course, in the above example, you would not be leaving any profit for the lessee, and thus there will be little incentive for anyone to lease your aircraft. If you use this method, you need to make sure your base (benchmark) is set appropriately. That means your base should have similar number of pax as with the majority of airports the other players in your word base / hub in. Then, you need to decide how large a share of profit you want to allow the lessee to keep.

And fyi, in AM, leasing planes out will always yield a lower return than flying them (assuming you do them in large scale).

737-500 usually goes at about 3 to 4 mil per month... back when I ran huge brokerage business. (So yes, it doesn't make sense to lease in/out larger planes.)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 02:33:52 pm by dktc »
D Express (id 616) 8)
AM Membership Officer / Official Broker

Ulaidian

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 08:07:54 pm
When putting planes up for lease, how do you differentiate between damp/wet/dry leasing?

1993matias

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Senior Manager
  • Play to have fun!
    • View Profile
    • Train pins and tie clips
Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 10:18:57 pm
Right now there is only damp lease available, so don't worry. But we will make sure to make it clear when we implement the different leases :)

Ulaidian

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 10:12:19 am
Good job :D If there were penalties for early return as well (or at least the option to apply that), it would be great :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk