Airline Mogul Forum

Rotating Starting Aircraft

Fitch

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
on: June 23, 2013, 08:38:22 am

It would be really great if we could have starting aircraft that change as the world gets older.

I'm in a couple of full length games. Both started as early as possible, one starts you with a pair of Bristol Pullmans and the other with Farman F.60 Goliaths.

Now the problem is, when you get into the early 40's, those planes have been made obsolete, and then as you get into the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's..etc. You get my drift.

Is there not a way to tell the game that, from 1928 to 1935 starting aircraft are the Bristol Pullman, and from 1935-1960 it's the DC-3, 1960-1970 is....and so on.

It's just weird for a person to join a long game in the early 80's and have to start routes with a pair of Bristol Pullman Tri-planes.

1993matias

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Senior Manager
  • Play to have fun!
    • View Profile
    • Train pins and tie clips
Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 08:57:06 am
I agree with you, but I'm actually not sure whether it is on our to do list.

A workaround can be that the world owner request us to change the starting aircraft as the time goes by. It will cost some tokens, but it is not really that expensive.

dktc

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 12:43:17 pm
This has been discussed amongst staff before, but we are still open, largely, to new arguments.

We see the logical sense that airlines launching in 60's / 70's would likely not use the same launching aircraft as those launching in 40's.

On the other hand, how do we ensure that everyone starts on a fair playing field in the same world, regardless of era? Assuming that the 40's starter aircraft is obsolete in the 60's, shall we use something that has the same configuration (ie. still obsolete), or something more suitable in the 60's (ie. a better plane than those who started in the 40's used)?
D Express (id 616) 8)
AM Membership Officer / Official Broker

Lord Voldemort

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 06:52:26 pm
This has been discussed amongst staff before, but we are still open, largely, to new arguments.

We see the logical sense that airlines launching in 60's / 70's would likely not use the same launching aircraft as those launching in 40's.

On the other hand, how do we ensure that everyone starts on a fair playing field in the same world, regardless of era? Assuming that the 40's starter aircraft is obsolete in the 60's, shall we use something that has the same configuration (ie. still obsolete), or something more suitable in the 60's (ie. a better plane than those who started in the 40's used)?

I don't see this as that big of a deal, because even 5 years in game is more than enough of a head start - by that point, any airlines that are still actively participating should be huge compared to any incoming airlines, so any difference in starting aircraft shouldn't matter. Honestly, I believe that if the starting aircraft get slightly better it might help to keep longer worlds slightly more competitive over time.

JT2126

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
    • Fernex International
Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 10:41:41 am
I Like this idea. I dont think its a big deal either. I would rather play a world that people remain interested and competitive. Also as what was said by another post it would be a disadvantage because airlines with about 5years are way ahead. If somebody with a airline 5years in front falls behind a new player, they need to edit there airline and adapt to the new market. Rotating Starting aircraft will be a great idea to implement into the game.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk