1993matias

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Senior Manager
  • Play to have fun!
    • View Profile
    • Train pins and tie clips
on: February 09, 2013, 01:37:09 pm
Hi guys,

Is anybody in? For newcomers, a realistic world means a world where you try to follow a realistic airline operation, as far as it is possible in AM:
Description: This is a continuation of “Realistic World” in which players emulate real world scheduling. Very few airlines today fly to one destination, once a day. Though it is the easiest and most profitable way to play Airline Mogul, it makes the game boring after a few game years. But, this game is different. We have a group of players who all agree to use realistic approaches on their airlines. What does this mean? Well the biggest is that we don’t use one time frequency flights (excluding international). Instead, we try for 3-4 flights per day to a single destination. Why in the world would we do this? A few reasons. One, it gives Airline Mogul an new challenging appeal. Second, it slows the game down. Third, its FUN! We don’t base success off how valuable an airline is, rather how well they accomplished realistic scheduling and aircraft usage.

I think we should do a late 90's/early 2000's world, that would be very interesting. A good length would be ~7 years - not too short, but not too long either.
Do you have any input or ideas? Let us hear! :D

Earlier realistic worlds:
#4: http://stephenm.org/smfforum/index.php?topic=13095.0
#3: http://stephenm.org/smfforum/index.php?topic=12678.0
#2: http://stephenm.org/smfforum/index.php?topic=12169.0
#1: http://stephenm.org/smfforum/index.php?topic=12054.0

Currently interested:
1993matias
haliu
Vamerica
jameswyhk
provost32
lederhosen

World info:
Starting aircraft: 3x Super 580 (52 seats, 310kn, 2301 range)
Starting year: 2000
Game length: 6 years (can be extended)
Bases: 20 (one foreign only)
It will be  a full world - all airports, and all aircraft will be available. Starting area limited to EU; see below.
The world will be created on March 1st. Be sure to join in! Password is v5

PLEASE NOTE!!!
All airlines must be based in Europe! Europe includes western Russia and Turkey. If basing in Turkey, please remember the game treats it as being in the Middle East, thus limiting your Continental EU bases to 1.
If airlines base outside the restricted area, they will be reset without prior notice. If enough players join, US and Canada will be opened too - make sure people join!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 10:14:54 pm by 1993matias »

haliu

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 03:29:40 pm
I would love to join a realistic world. I've never been in one so this will be very fun for me.

I think starting in 2000 would be good with some sort of 90 seat plane.

I do have some questions though. Would you be deleted for flying to airports nobody in real life flies to (i.e. an airport with zero yearly passengers)? Would you be deleted for flying aircraft that nobody uses in real life (i.e VardaxServ-AeroHotter)? Is there a minimum frequency for international flights (i.e. New York to Tokyo)?

1993matias

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Senior Manager
  • Play to have fun!
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 06:39:34 pm
The rules we used in the previous worlds were not imperial - i.e. it is up to the player how much the rules are followed. The whole idea of doing this world is because all of the joined airlines want to fly a realistic airline. If you want to make a bush airline, it would not be a problem to fly the AeroHotter, but it would not be okay to fly it on LHR-CDG. We haven't really had any of the problems you mention in the earlier worlds.

In short: do as you please within realistic measures. The world will have a password so only dedicated players can join.

pilotguy121a

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 07:57:13 pm
I'm busy in another world unfortunately. Plus, whenever I seem to get some free time, I start playing AM again. Then just as I'm getting into it, my free time disappears!

Anyway, everyone should give one of these worlds a chance, they really are something. Very different from the traditional games played in AM.

Vamerica

• Airline Senior Manager
  • Welcome Aboard Virgin America
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 01:15:09 pm
I'd be ready for another one! :)

1993matias

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Senior Manager
  • Play to have fun!
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 09:54:05 am
What should the starting aircraft be? Some big jet, a rj, or a turboprop?

jameswyhk

• Airline Supervisor
  • So inactive...
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 01:04:15 pm
I am interested. How do I join?

------

1993matias

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Senior Manager
  • Play to have fun!
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 02:57:09 pm
The world has not been made yet, but if you are interested, I'll make sure to notify you when it's made :)

haliu

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 09:49:07 pm
I think the starting aircraft should be 2 Dash 8-400s plus a million euros

1993matias

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Senior Manager
  • Play to have fun!
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 09:12:51 am
I am just a bit against giving out mainstream aircraft as starting aircraft, as that will make players a bit biased towards that manufacturer. Maybe something like the Hawker Siddeley Super 748 or a refitted Convair 580? The latter has a bit more range, but both have around 55 seats.

Vamerica

• Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 09:36:19 am
I can't agree with you more! So many times the most bought aircraft is that of the starting plane. So I really do love your idea of a lesser name airplane! Any of those would be great choices

Vamerica

• Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 02:20:05 pm
What I also would like to suggest is maybe limiting it to a curtain area, like the US. Increasing competition and fare wars! Just like in real life. Imagine multiple of us fighting at key hubs like JFK and ORD! Would be very cool I might offer

1993matias

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Senior Manager
  • Play to have fun!
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 02:28:23 pm
That sounds interesting, it might me a big challenge to both have multiple frequencies and fare wars! It's just that many people might prefer a full world. Maybe we could do a full world, but limit the starting areas to Europe and North America?

Vamerica

• Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: February 14, 2013, 01:02:57 am
That's what I was thinking after I said that. Allow it to be a full world, but make it for people to base in a curtain area(s). Allowing them to do international flights still, but with the added competition still.

Vamerica

• Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: February 14, 2013, 08:55:52 am
Here's what I have planned so far with what has been said. I will operate as 'Optimum Airlines.'

I will be based in(depending on hub limit)-

Chicago O'hare
New York JFK(Newark*)
Dallas Ft. Worth(Houston*)
Denver
Los Angeles
Charlotte

*Cities that may be changed to, if requested by partner/alliance

I'll be an operator of A318/A319/A320/A321/A330

This leaves the opportunity for an airline to fly to low key cities from my hubs with no competition, even allowing them to maybe be a partner/feeder for the Optimum brand. I am fully up for competing at these hubs, so please don't feel like I'm trying to claim them in anyway, I am looking forward to turf wars!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk