Airline Mogul Forum

Private World #2396 - Real World (Creating Real-World Airlines)

steex · 48 · 16577

steex

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
I have opened a world where the purpose is essentially to model a real-world airline.  Frequency won't be a focus, but the idea is to generally replicate the fleet and routes of a real carrier to the extent possible.

To that end, it would probably be best not to pick very small carriers - however, if you find yourself reaching the size of the real airline with a lot of time left, I might encourage one/all of the following:
1) If creating an airline that has regional affiliates and/or subsidiaries, create those routes as well (I plan to play as United Airlines and include United Express; if someone played as Qantas, it might be reasonable to include the JetStar family; Singapore Airlines could include SilkAir and Scoot; etc.).
2) If the airline has no such affiliates, it might be sensible to add any airlines that may be closely associated or tightly-knit partners (merged-but-separate carriers like BA/IB, AF/KLM, and LAN/TAM come to mind, but this might also include relationships like someone who was American or Delta also building Alaska Airlines as a last resort).
3) If the airline has previously closed hubs, you could include those past operations into your current system (such as someone recreating the peaks of CVG and/or MEM for Delta).
4) Finally, if all else fails, create reasonable growth of your carrier that doesn't exactly replicate the real world.  Perhaps a Scandinavian carrier might operate additional holiday charter flights or have an additional hub in Sweden, but it's not likely that it would open a hub in Beijing.  

My intention isn't to be the police, but I would request that folks only join if they intend to abide by the spirit of this world!  Let's try to keep it fun for everyone.

At any rate, here is the starting info:

Start Year: 2000
Game Length: 10 Years
Starting Gate: 3
Start Aircraft: 5x 737-700
Unlimited Bases/Unlimited Foreign
Starting Cash: 500,000
Maximum Players: 65
Password: rw

The purpose of the unlimited domestic bases is for someone who may be bold enough to undertake a Southwest/Ryanair type carrier, and the unlimited foreign bases are so we have the ability to open overseas focus cities to allow fifth-freedom flights and tags (I'll need a ton of them to recreate UA's NRT and GUM ops, not to mention the GUM-HNL island hopper!).

Based on discussion in the previous thread (http://stephenm.org/smfforum/index.php?topic=13020.0), the following are anticipated players and their proposed airlines.  I'll try to keep the airline list up-to-date as the world goes on to avoid duplicates, so it might be helpful if additional players post their intended carriers as a reply to this thread.

Africa
- EgyptAir / Ethiopian / South African

Asia
- Air China
- Air Asia
- Japan Airlines
- Korean Air

Australasia
- Ansett Australia

Central America
- Volaris (combined with Southwest)

Europe
- Air Europa (combined with Czech Airways)
- AirBerlin
- British Airways
- Brussels Airlines
- Czech Airlines (combined with Air Europa)
- EasyJet (combined with Emirates)
- AF / KLM
- Lufthansa
- SAS

Middle East
- Emirates (combined with EasyJet)

North America
- Air Canada
- American Airlines
- Delta Airlines
- JetBlue
- Southwest Airlines (combined with Volaris)
- United Airlines

South America
- LATAM Group (merged LAN and TAM)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 11:51:25 pm by steex »

cygnusalfa

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile

steex

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Hi Im in  8)

I will orientat me on this Lufthansa sites for fleet and rooutmap
\

Sounds great!  I assume you're just planning to do Lufthansa routes since we have other members planning to fly as SAS and Brussels Airlines?

cygnusalfa

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile

Sounds great!  I assume you're just planning to do Lufthansa routes since we have other members planning to fly as SAS and Brussels Airlines?

Well SAS is not Lufthansa family airline as fare as i know.
Brussels Airlines is surely a daughter but i have no interest in Brussels Airline.But will he take Brussels or the predecessor the 3 time deaths SABENA ;-)

Lufthansa is much to big with all daughters.

If someone is in Swiss or Austrian/Tyrolean its also ok for me.
BMI isnt Lufthansa Anymore.

I will focus for the moment on Lufthansa  and Lufthansa Regio ( Lufthansa CityLine)  not shure about the daugthers/franchise partners/joint Ventures  like Air Dolomiti, Augsburg Airways, Contact Air, Eurowings, Germanwings, SunExpress, Luxair,JetBlue,PrivatAir, Lufthansa Cargo, Aerologic, Jade Cargo International  and the now closed Lufthansa Italia.
Maybe if i need some of their routs to connect or fill a flight schedule.

The whole Lufthansa Group sounds to much for me.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 06:29:20 am by cygnusalfa »

cygnusalfa

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 06:20:18 am
no text
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 06:22:23 am by cygnusalfa »

Hal

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
I am interested to join this world, if will be possible i want play Southwest Airlines.
Central Europe Brokerage, official broker, ID15523.

Rifqi_dd

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Hi,I want to join this world,and i want to play with Delta Airlines :D

danio100

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Just joined as AirBerlin.

Hal

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
I joined world, i am not now in rankings, as game set me automaticaly as broker, i sent PM to StephenM to move me to the rakings. 
Central Europe Brokerage, official broker, ID15523.

1993matias

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Senior Manager
  • Play to have fun!
    • View Profile
    • Train pins and tie clips
I will not join until mid-August. But I will join! :D

sunflowerair

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 11:27:03 pm
I'd like to jump in flying for British Airways... but since they're supposedly picky about real world names & logos, I'm going with "British Air".  Give me a wave when you land at Heathrow...

1993matias

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Senior Manager
  • Play to have fun!
    • View Profile
    • Train pins and tie clips
Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 03:21:08 am
Could I join as Egyptair? Would it be possible to extend as all Star Alliance members in Africa? 10 years is a bit long for Egyptair.

danio100

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 07:38:33 am
Sure

Zach21GF

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 01:57:30 pm
Sorry I have forgot, are we supposed to use a 737 on the routes they are used of can we use a different aircraft in the fleet? Like a 739, A321, F100

steex

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 02:55:27 pm
Could I join as Egyptair? Would it be possible to extend as all Star Alliance members in Africa? 10 years is a bit long for Egyptair.

Seems reasonable for one person to cover EgyptAir / South African / Ethiopian.

That also reminds me - I do intend to create Star Alliance at some point and obviously all real-world members will be cleared to join.  Use of alliance slots should obviously be limited to those necessary for real operations (for example, United would probably want to use an Ansett slot for SYD-MEL rather than opening a focus city at SYD for that one route).  I assume someone will create SkyTeam and oneWorld at some point as well.

Sorry I have forgot, are we supposed to use a 737 on the routes they are used of can we use a different aircraft in the fleet? Like a 739, A321, F100

I think you can fly your aircraft on whichever routes you see fit - the idea is to create accurate routes and fleets, but not necessarily have the real aircraft on each individual route.  That would almost certainly make for very inefficient aircraft utilization.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk