Airline Mogul Forum

Public World #2208 - Egypt

TheKevinShow

• Airline Operative
  • Please refrain from using ethnic slurs.
    • View Profile
on: February 14, 2012, 06:19:38 am
The world is supposed to be Middle East only, yet the map includes six airports in Egypt. Why are these available when Egypt is listed under Africa in other worlds?

1993matias

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Senior Manager
  • Play to have fun!
    • View Profile
    • Train pins and tie clips
Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 09:37:43 am
That would be the Sinai peninsula. It is considered a part of the Middle East. I've marked the border between Africa and Middle East here, it goes through the Suez Canal:

Also, take a look the wiki article (link), where it says it is part of Asia (Therefore also Middle East).
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 09:41:46 am by 1993matias »

TheKevinShow

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 09:45:51 am
I thought of that, but according to the in-game map of the region's airports, they're not all in the Sinai.

1993matias

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Senior Manager
  • Play to have fun!
    • View Profile
    • Train pins and tie clips
Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 09:50:34 am
That's weird. Especially since Cairo, Aswan or Alexandria isn't there... That would be a bug then.

TheKevinShow

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 10:17:22 am
Yeah, quite a bit of the airports are buggy. I'm based in Iran and a lot of the airports in Iran end up redirecting to Gorgan (GBT/OING) when I try to research them.

dktc

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 01:15:20 pm
Egypt is classified as Middle East to balance out the number of airports, and the pax number for full worlds. This is a historical factor before the time of foreign base.
D Express (id 616) 8)
AM Membership Officer / Official Broker

Virgin Serbia

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 03:18:45 pm
For political reasons, it would make sense. Egypt is more Arab than African. I don't think anyone would dispute the fact that Denmark is considered Scandinavian, despite not actually being part of Scandinavia from a geographic point of view.
O0 Lotus Airlines of India (PW#2650) •

TheKevinShow

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 07:24:41 pm
Ok, that makes sense, but why not include all of the Eyptian airports, then? The random smattering of Egyptian airports seems weird.

Also, is there something that can be done about the bug I mentioned?

wishfulanthony

• Airline Operative
  • Owner of Volcano Airways
    • View Profile
    • My personal blog
Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 08:44:18 am
Technically speaking, Egypt is located both in Africa and in the Middle East. More appropriately, it is at the junction of the Sahara (in Africa) and the Arab World in the Middle East, separated by the Suez Canal. I'd say it's a bug then to see Egyptian airports popping up in Middle Eastern airport lists than African... but I believe that Egyptian airports should be listed in one group rather than two. It makes me think that Egypt is a divided country. That brings me to the argument of Turkey and other transcontinental states: Russian and Turkish airports are listed as European and Middle Eastern airports, respectively. Why not put Egypt in the African airports list instead of breaking up into two?
Proud owner of

ID: 30954 · Owned Private Worlds 1596, 1757, 1936, and 2180 · Sojourner Dream · Need help on AM? Read my guides here

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk