davecummings

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
    • Plane Spotting for the digital age
on: November 10, 2011, 08:06:06 pm
Hi all,
I am currently in the below world:

Airline Mogul - See my airline

I have at current 5 gates at LHR and three A/C on order so this time tomorrow I will have approx 6+ gates. My question is when is the best time to build a terminal in this world?

regards
dave
Plane Spotters Log
-------------------------------------
www.planespotterslog.co.uk

1993matias

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Senior Manager
  • Play to have fun!
    • View Profile
    • Train pins and tie clips
Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 09:07:32 pm
The terminal feature was originally made to avoid gate shortages at big airports, back in the times when there was only one world for thousands of players. Today, in the half-empty worlds, there is no need for terminals, as there is always free gates at the big airports.

The terminal costs 75% less per gate compared to renting gates. E.g. you have five rented gates worth 350,000 each. That is 1,750,000. With terminals, you will pay 75% of that amount if you have five terminal gates; 1,312,000.

My recomendation would be not to build a terminal. With those high costs associated with building a terminal in your empty world, it wouldn't be worth using money on it. If you really want to build a terminal, do so when your airline has grown to be bigger, with a DOC of around 15-20 million.

To read more about terminals, go to the Game Manual here.

davecummings

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
    • Plane Spotting for the digital age
Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 09:20:58 pm
cheers for that pal! If the world starts to get busy I wil build me a terminal!
Plane Spotters Log
-------------------------------------
www.planespotterslog.co.uk

pseudoswede

• Airline Manager
  • Play to win, not imitate.
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 03:26:31 am
Keep renting until you reach 25 gates. Then build a terminal.

Planet Express Airways
Member of the FT Alliance
ID: 3446

Opinions expressed in my posts are suggestions to achieve maximum airline value and top rankings.
If you do not wish for either, then feel free to ignore.

mark4051997

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 01:00:03 pm
I build a terminal as soon as I get 5 gates so I can get my investment back faster and make profits higher

cjp

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 03:28:53 pm
One thing to keep in mind about building terminals, since the minimum purchase is 5 gates, you should plan your build so you have enough planes/routes to be able to use at least 41 of the 50 slots created before the automatic gate return kicks in the month after next. Otherwise you will end up losing rented gates and have to extend the terminal earlier. After you build a terminal, you can no longer rent gates.

jayceon

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 05:24:08 pm
Check out this calculation; no matter where you're building your hub (350k, 300k, 250k it's all the same), you will start making a profit within 9 years. So if your world lasts for at least 9 years, it's a good investment :D Only if you got the money laying around though, if not, buy planes instead.

Quick example, I want to build a terminal at CDG
Rental costs: 350.000/month = 1,75m/month for 5 gates = 21m/year.
Terminal building costs (5 gates): € 46,397,750
Rental costs w/ terminal: 1,31m/month = 15,75m/year
Profit: 5,25m/year

The more gates you build, the faster you make it back since building additional gates only cost ~2,5m at 350k airports. If you build 20 gates, you'll make the money back within 3 years 8) If you see any faults in my calculation, feel free to comment :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk