Airline Mogul Forum

Maintenance Cost, Different Aircraft Types

pf94 · 7 · 2757

pf94

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
on: November 04, 2011, 02:30:54 pm
Hello,

I would like to ask if their is a relationship between maintenance costs and having different types of aircraft.(e.g. 2 Airbus 2Boeing 2Gulfstream 2ATR 2Lockheed; instead of 10 Airbus) I know that this is the case in real life, but I am not sure if also in the game.

I looking forward to your replies,

Paul

1993matias

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Senior Manager
  • Play to have fun!
    • View Profile
    • Train pins and tie clips
Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 03:12:20 pm
The game does not take into account the aircraft model, but only its value and age when calculating your maintenance costs. So fleet commonality does not have an impact on your maintenance costs.

Thanks for asking, I'm glad to help :D

pf94

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 03:27:59 pm
Thank you very much for your fast reply!

jm_london

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 07:21:01 am
I have a similar problem and maintenance bills are killing me. (About 50% of my total monthly income!) 
Is there a way to look at the maintenance costs for each aircraft so that we can get rid of the most expensive first?

1993matias

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Senior Manager
  • Play to have fun!
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 10:13:24 am
No, the maintenance costs are calculated using the total aircraft value and the average aircraft age. There is no individual aircraft taken into consideration.

To lower your maintenance costs, you have to either lower the total value of your aircraft or the average age. The last option is the easiest.

If you click on the button 'Aircraft' on the top menu bar, you can see you daily maintenance costs and average aircraft age. Note both to watch your progress.

Go to 'View Aircraft' and sort them by age (Or ID, they are practically the same), and order replacement planes for the oldest planes you have. You can click on the little plus sign to the left to see the age of the specific aircraft. Anything above three years is to be replaced.

Wait for the new planes to arrive, already now the average aircraft age should be lower, but since you have many more aircraft, the maintenance won't be lower yet. Replace as many aircraft as possible, and get rid of them asap. (A little tip to when you are re-creating routes: Aircraft with the highest ID are the youngest aircraft. Use the youngest aircraft first, you want to get rid of the old ones!) You decide if you want to sell them or scrap them, but it is until you don't own the planes any more that they don't cost you in maintenance.

Check you aircraft average age, and note it has fallen lower after getting rid of the aircraft. But the maintenance costs won't change until the month change, because it is calculated monthly.

Things that does not affect aircraft value:
Cycles and hours of aircraft. Though it is planned that it will.
Fleet commonality (e.g. only fly Airbuses instead of a mix of Boeing, Airbus, Fokker and Tupolev)
Individual aircraft age - you can have one 15 year old aircraft, and it won't really impact your maintenance if you have a huge fleet (300+ a/c)

I hope this little guide helped, may you have fun playing AM!

Oh, btw, can I get a link to your airline? Thanks :D
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 10:16:44 am by 1993matias »

jm_london

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 02:30:13 pm
Thank you very much Matias for your sound advice.

Your message devastated me, though, as I had assumed that, as in the real world, lessees and not lessors paid the maintenance bill. I have been very "smart" and have leased out every unwanted old aircraft at ridiculously low rates. Now I understand why, despite operating a reasonably young fleet, my monthly bills eat up almost all the money I make, and push me several places down on the main ranking at the end of the month.

And I guess there is NOTHING I can do but wait for the leases to expire and then scrap them ASAP?  In the real world I would display my great customer service skills and offer the lessees to replace their aircraft for brand new ones for the rest of the contract, but I guess this is not an option here.

Don't know how to paste a link to my airline in this post, but I'm SUPERFLY. Have a look at the bills, they are insane!!... lol

1993matias

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Senior Manager
  • Play to have fun!
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 09:09:06 pm
Thank you very much Matias for your sound advice.
You're welcome! If you have any more questions, don't hesitate asking.
And I guess there is NOTHING I can do but wait for the leases to expire and then scrap them ASAP?  In the real world I would display my great customer service skills and offer the lessees to replace their aircraft for brand new ones for the rest of the contract, but I guess this is not an option here.
You could send them a PM asking them to exchange the aircraft for newer ones (perhaps offer them a slight discount for the effort). Otherwise just try to keep you own fleet as young as possible. But don't worry, I have an airline with a fleet age of around 19 years, and I still get a slight profit - from Hawaii!

Don't know how to paste a link to my airline in this post, but I'm SUPERFLY. Have a look at the bills, they are insane!!... lol
View airline page:
Use the forum code.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk