Airline Mogul Forum

Cargo Idea

oddward

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
on: July 25, 2011, 07:19:03 pm
Just as a possibility there was at one point a plan to CONVERT a320 and a321 passenger jets into a freighter version although never finished because of high demand for the frames you may want to consider that when you have implemented the freight system you could set up a system in which an owner of a plane can convert their jet from freight to passenger or passenger to freight for a sum of money as some people might have bought an aircraft a while ago and realised it isn't needed but don't want to spend all the money on a brand new freight plane when they can convert them to cargo. I know it would be a painstaking task to work out how much cargo each plane could carry but it could be possible to base it on the number of passengers or the size of the plane, i dunno though

Virgin Serbia

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 09:47:44 am
It would require the aircraft age to be re-set during conversion.
O0 Lotus Airlines of India (PW#2650) •

oddward

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 06:20:57 pm
Surely that isn't impossible even if it means giving it a new number, there could be an option that just changes the type of plane or one that does complete overhaul

Virgin Serbia

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 11:21:07 am
Surely that isn't impossible even if it means giving it a new number, there could be an option that just changes the type of plane or one that does complete overhaul

Agreed. Some of us have tried to push this idea before, but I believe the mods found it impractical to introduce. Overhaul for any aircraft would be nice.
O0 Lotus Airlines of India (PW#2650) •

danio100

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 01:55:41 pm
Good idea!! I love it!! ;)

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 02:15:36 pm
To be honest we'd have to come up with a cargo loadfactor algorithm which would be difficult enough. The way cargo works is more about individual one-way flows between certain destinations that airlines optimise by doing multiple stops on each end-to-end journey. The hub and spoke type model is more effectively used by integrators like UPS, DHL, FedEx either for bulk or parcels.

Time could be better spent improving the passenger loadfactor algorithm which is a priority, but it would add some extra depth by adding in cargo. Its just a matter of resources which are quite limited as you may have noticed.
Stephen Murphy
Airline Mogul Chief Developer

oddward

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 09:35:44 pm
When you say resources do you mean man power?

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 11:26:55 pm
When you say resources do you mean man power?

Pretty much yes. :)
Stephen Murphy
Airline Mogul Chief Developer

oddward

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 11:47:50 pm
fair enough, you use Apache don't you

p17br0w

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 08:17:45 pm
Apache has nothing to do with it. It is only the software on the servers. The passenger algorithm can be incorporated into the cargo algorithm say 1 person is 4 8kg, 6cmX30cmX60cm boxes. Only an example but it could be the starting point

oddward

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011, 01:30:23 am
i am getting confused with something else. i don't think it would be sensible to use the passenger algorithm as the building blocks of cargo, it would be more sensible to start over, the passenger loadfactor can be temperamental for me at times anyway.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk