Airline Mogul Forum

Flight planning

oddward

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
on: May 28, 2011, 02:05:15 pm
this is just an idea but i think it would be useful if there was a map which had every airport on it and you could select one of your bases from a list then type in the range of your aircraft and it would hide every airport that could not be reached this will help as you can see which airports can be reached rather than just one at a time as the route research does other filters could be enabled such as minimum passenger number and runway length (when/ifit is in use)

Cue criticism from virgin serbia about how dificult this would be

Virgin Serbia

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 02:18:31 pm
Do you mean like premium route research?

I like the idea. Premium route research as it is doesn't let you type in the precise range, only to the nearest 500 nm.

I don't know about the map though, with too many airports located in Europe it would be one big red blob ???

Cue criticism from virgin serbia about how dificult this would be

:lol: :lol: :lol:
O0 Lotus Airlines of India (PW#2650) •

GPWestjet

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
    • Blaine's View
Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 02:44:07 pm
Do you mean Gate search, because in Route Research, you research for a single route.

But ya I think that would be helpful to be able to put in your own numbers, such as 1352nm because you are limited to the increments of 500nm.

The map though might be cool, but Virgin Serbia does have a point which is if you search for all routes within a distance, then it would be a big ref blob, but if you only search for >1 million passengers in a airport than that might be useful.

oddward

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 04:04:16 pm
yeh i mean if you are able to narrow the search fields maybe even by country and limits then you can see if your aircraft can make the trip. i see what you mean about red or what ever colour spots but if it were on a google map type which alread knows where the airports are i believe then you can zoom in and generally it would be used to find the limits of your plane as you don't want to buy a plane that can't cover the area you want it to. an alternative would be that when you buy the plane a map is shown showing up to where you can fly it but you have no control of it except for zooming and the engine type.

1993matias

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Senior Manager
  • Play to have fun!
    • View Profile
    • Train pins and tie clips
Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 04:56:06 pm
I like the idea of having the option to type in the range intervals. I do also like to be able to choose country, as sometimes I want to do domestic, but I get many other countries too.

The map part, go to www.gcmap.com and type in the range for the aircraft, and you'll get a map with the area you can fly to (e.g. 1800mi@LHR for a range of 1800 nm out of London Heathrow). You can also make paths and measure their lengths.

oddward

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 04:59:56 pm
The gcmap works but the point of my idea is that you an see which airports are in the range

pseudoswede

• Airline Manager
  • Play to win, not imitate.
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 02:43:16 pm
The gcmap works but the point of my idea is that you an see which airports are in the range

GCMap does that, too.

Planet Express Airways
Member of the FT Alliance
ID: 3446

Opinions expressed in my posts are suggestions to achieve maximum airline value and top rankings.
If you do not wish for either, then feel free to ignore.

Mporcel

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 05:18:28 pm
It would be useful to create routes more easily. In the research route screen after you have selected the origin and destination airport there should be a "create route icon" that automatically rents a gate at the origin/destination airport and all you have to do is select the aircraft and set the price.

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 05:23:49 pm
I agree we can make it easier and perhaps move things a little away from the Gate Search method to airline growth. I will have a play around with the AMMap that was created and see what I can do with the software.
Stephen Murphy
Airline Mogul Chief Developer

pseudoswede

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 08:09:19 pm
It would be useful to create routes more easily. In the research route screen after you have selected the origin and destination airport there should be a "create route icon" that automatically rents a gate at the origin/destination airport and all you have to do is select the aircraft and set the price.

This feature is kind of implemented in the premium Gate Search, except you also have to click on OCP to rent a gate. It should remain as a premium feature.

Planet Express Airways

Opinions expressed in my posts are suggestions to achieve maximum airline value and top rankings.

GPWestjet

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
    • Blaine's View
Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 10:41:40 pm

This feature is kind of implemented in the premium Gate Search, except you also have to click on OCP to rent a gate. It should remain as a premium feature.

It doesn't do everything in Premium Gate search.

Now this is my idea:

3 gate searches

Basic: FREE what is currently available for free
Premium: 60 tokens, What is available now for 60 tokens
Premium+: 70-90 Tokens: Which would have some of the features we are talking about like:
Putting in own numbers for fields, instead of drop down menu
Map, to see which routes are available
Limit by country(Right now you can only go by continent)
Runway length (If it were implanted)
Route Demand
+ all features in Premium Gate search
Comments are welcomed.

pseudoswede

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 01:55:47 pm
Why is a map needed?

There is already functionality in the Gate Search to tell you which airports you have gates rented at as well as if you already have a flight to that airport.

Planet Express Airways

oddward

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: June 02, 2011, 02:39:07 pm
when i created this i had never used gate search now i have and it seems that the principles of my idea could be implemented into the current gate search. the main example being that you can't put a distance into gate search which would be useful especially if you could type in a custom distance therefore the suggestion of the map shows a visual reference but is not essential to the function of the idea, which i guess could be implemented without a map.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk