Airline Mogul Forum

Raise fuel consumption or fuel costs

Virgin Serbia

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
on: May 05, 2011, 06:59:04 pm
Having played the game for some time, there is one thing that keeps nagging me. Fuel costs. They are almost completely insignificant. You can buy the biggest fuel guzzler, and you will hardly notice it on the costs. Shouldn't fuel costs be much higher?

It would make it far more interesting to buy new planes. You would have to take fuel consumption into consideration. 
O0 Lotus Airlines of India (PW#2650) •

pseudoswede

• Airline Manager
  • Play to win, not imitate.
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 07:10:20 pm
Historical fuel prices are being used in the game. Granted, it is only an annual average.

I remember paying about $0.18/litre for gasoline back in 1999. Those were the days...

Planet Express Airways
Member of the FT Alliance
ID: 3446

Opinions expressed in my posts are suggestions to achieve maximum airline value and top rankings.
If you do not wish for either, then feel free to ignore.

Virgin Serbia

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 07:55:32 pm
Historical fuel prices are being used in the game. Granted, it is only an annual average.

I remember paying about $0.18/litre for gasoline back in 1999. Those were the days...

Yes, but what if the planes use too little fuel?

Paying €10 per litre is nothing if your plane only uses 200 litres pr. flight, compared to 200.000 litres (€2000 vs €2000000)
O0 Lotus Airlines of India (PW#2650) •

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 07:57:12 pm
Yes, but what if the planes use too little fuel?

The problem is in a lot of cases the planes are using exactly the right amount of fuel yet the costs don't always come out realistic. It is a problem that I haven't fully gotten to the bottom of.
Stephen Murphy
Airline Mogul Chief Developer

CHR

• Brokers
  • Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 06:32:18 am
Are the historical prices adjusted for inflation? You earn ticket revenue at modern day rates - so costs should be at it too.

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 10:35:46 am
Are the historical prices adjusted for inflation? You earn ticket revenue at modern day rates - so costs should be at it too.

They are. Should in the value of money around the 2000's somewhere.
Stephen Murphy
Airline Mogul Chief Developer

AirbusGuy350

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 07:31:15 pm
I agree with this suggestion I really think that fuel should be the largest cost and that maintenance should go down. This would make it it easier to keep long haul aircraft longer. Especially for airlines that are based in small islands where they don't have the doc to keep up with maintenance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk