Airline Mogul Forum

Why would anyone want to become a broker???

myefre

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: December 31, 2007, 05:46:44 am
Quote from: "MrOrange"
Quote from: "pocketbookbrando"
I was thinking about this today.  Why would anyone want to become a pretend middleman for pretend airlines in a pretend airplane game?  Isn't that becoming a little abstract?  Perhaps next we'll have pretend copier repairmen who service the pretend copiers of the pretend brokerage that brokers pretend deals for pretend airlines.  Anyone else puzzled by this?

Because when the game gets boring and you don't want to update 200+ routes every day, you need something else to do.

How about finding a woman?  :P

Jps

• Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: December 31, 2007, 06:04:28 am
As MrOrange said, he has enough time to hang out with his friends.

So that pretty much answers your question myefre

ID: 5000 ~ Flying Beyond The Stars

pocketbookbrando

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: December 31, 2007, 07:47:11 am
"Why would anyone waste time indoors coding a game which he gets no financial benefit out of? Wink That someone surely must have a rather dull and pointless life and should just go out and watch paint dry. Very Happy"

That's quite easy.  There are plenty of millionaire software engineers in this country.  Learning how to create, debug and deploy code is both a fun creative hobby and also a rather lucrative trade.  Coding something like this easily builds up a resume.

"Being a broker, leasing/buying pretend airplanes as you nicely put it, is in many respects the same as playing AM, but it is much more dynamic and extensive. "

Yes, but how can you play a game if there is no objective?  It's like playing Battleship with yourself.  It's not a game if there is no competition.

"What is the difference of being a broker?"

Except that AM is a competition.  Being a broker is well, being a broker.  You're not even playing game as it were.  You're providing support for people playing the game.  It'd be like being a physical therapist in a Madden 2008 football video game.

Jps

• Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: December 31, 2007, 07:51:00 am
There is an objective for selling planes  8) . How many planes can you sell in a day? Beat my record, 240 ATR-72-500.

Except that AM is a competition. Being a broker is well, being a broker. You're not even playing game as it were. You're providing support for people playing the game. It'd be like being a physical therapist in a Madden 2008 football video game.

There's 4 brokers. They are racing to get the most customers. That's the competition. There is also other competitors in the market.

And the brokers are just trying to help make the game more enjoyable for everyone  :lol:

ID: 5000 ~ Flying Beyond The Stars

MrOrange

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: December 31, 2007, 10:07:50 am
"Why would anyone waste time indoors coding a game which he gets no financial benefit out of? Wink That someone surely must have a rather dull and pointless life and should just go out and watch paint dry. Very Happy"

That's quite easy.  There are plenty of millionaire software engineers in this country.  Learning how to create, debug and deploy code is both a fun creative hobby and also a rather lucrative trade.  Coding something like this easily builds up a resume.

"Being a broker, leasing/buying pretend airplanes as you nicely put it, is in many respects the same as playing AM, but it is much more dynamic and extensive. "

Yes, but how can you play a game if there is no objective?  It's like playing Battleship with yourself.  It's not a game if there is no competition.

Except that AM is a competition.  Being a broker is well, being a broker.  You're not even playing game as it were.  You're providing support for people playing the game.  It'd be like being a physical therapist in a Madden 2008 football video game.

What's the thing with you and weird comparisons? Could you please explain me why you don't see that, as broker, you have different objectives? AM is not even a competition. You can play it that way, but in essence, it is not. Games don't particularly need competition in this respect, although it does make the game more interesting for some. If a game needed competition no matter what, why would people play, for instance, the free-ride mode in Test Drive Unlimited? There's no competition in that. It's just driving around a big island. But is it a game? Yes, it most definitely is. Why? Because the meaning of a game is not in its competition, it's purely in its replicating of a situation.

Even if we were only providing support, so what? Just the fact you might not be happy providing support, doesn't mean nobody could be happy providing support.

Air Elbonia

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: December 31, 2007, 11:13:38 am

competition, enjoyment, and the goals and objectives of the game tend to be as objective as what the "best" flavor of ice cream is.  There is competition in being a broker, you're still in the rankings, you're still facing undercutters and varying demand for your product [in this case planes for sale/lease], you're still interacting in various ways with other players [be the competitive such as undercutting leases, or friendly, such as brokering with a discount].  your goals are as self defined as you like, maybe Orange's goal is to be the highest ranked of the game brokers... maybe not. who cares if anyone else he's claiming as competition sets the same goal?

The basic goals set forth in AM, which are as freely ignored as taken seriously, are daily passengers, airline value, loadfactor for either a continent or the whole world. if you don't like that rat race, feel free to set your own goals in game.  maybe it's just as simple as get a higher ranking then the last game, or XYZ over your last age.  Brokerage was put into the game to supply a function i tended to see in a few competitors games that was never officially put in [brokering aircraft].  Players choose how they want to play in this little digital universe, some like to emulate real life as closely as they can, others find sheer joy in flying routes otherwise impossible or illegal, and others just want a place to burn off a little spare cash for the short term.
Air Elbonia, First in Time Travel since 2073!  (AEB ID in Game: 333)

CornField

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: December 31, 2007, 03:45:05 pm
Quote from: "dktc"
Just want to point out playing is pretending to be an airline CEO, and in reality responding to meaningless data and inputing meaning data to the computer somewhere in the world to generate more meaningless data for you to respond to. What is the difference of being a broker?

Wow..... :shock:   You just sucked the fun out of the rest of my day off of work.  Thanks, now I'll have to go work on my addition.....

Your  Favorite Hometown Airline

dktc

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: December 31, 2007, 03:51:30 pm
Quote from: "CornField"
Wow..... :shock:   You just sucked the fun out of the rest of my day off of work.  Thanks, now I'll have to go work on my addition.....

That is my true self ("depressed" as quoted from digifreak, and "unimaginable" as quoted from MrOrange :P ). Reminds me of Dogbert (wish I could get as powerful + wealthy as he is though :P )
D Express (id 616) 8)
AM Membership Officer / Official Broker

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk