Airline Mogul Forum

Servicing small Alaskan Airports from Anchorage.

Dobbins

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
on: June 12, 2011, 04:08:08 pm
Has anyone ever hubbed in Anchorage?  I am creating a worldwide legacy carrier, and I currently have service to every single airport in the USA...except the Alaskan airports.  I opened up a hub at Anchorage and am serving about a dozen of the largest ones.  I am not making a ton, but they are profitable.  Here are a few details.

The current year is 1924
I am using Bristol Pullmans, 14 passengers.
Some of the rural Alaskan airports have as few as 0 passengers.

Can it be profitable to serve these airports from Anchorage?  If so, do I need a smaller plane, say 8 seats, or a larger plane with more like 30 seats?

Currently a flight from Anchorage to an airport in Alaska with 0 passengers with the Pullman will generate about $2300, which will just cover the gate cost.  I'll never make the money to cover the aircraft.

Or should I just serve them all from Seattle when cheap, small, long range aircraft become available in the 70s?

LOT 737-300

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 11:16:28 pm
Has anyone ever hubbed in Anchorage?  I am creating a worldwide legacy carrier, and I currently have service to every single airport in the USA...except the Alaskan airports.  I opened up a hub at Anchorage and am serving about a dozen of the largest ones.  I am not making a ton, but they are profitable.  Here are a few details.

The current year is 1924
I am using Bristol Pullmans, 14 passengers.
Some of the rural Alaskan airports have as few as 0 passengers.

Can it be profitable to serve these airports from Anchorage?  If so, do I need a smaller plane, say 8 seats, or a larger plane with more like 30 seats?

Currently a flight from Anchorage to an airport in Alaska with 0 passengers with the Pullman will generate about $2300, which will just cover the gate cost.  I'll never make the money to cover the aircraft.

Or should I just serve them all from Seattle when cheap, small, long range aircraft become available in the 70s?
I can't speak for all the Alaskan Airports, but I think you can get a good, decent profit from ANC with an aircraft like that (don't know it's costs, so I can't say more, some more stats on the aircraft could be helpful, as the only aircraft I have good experience with are aircraft availble between the 1950s- early 1970s). For anything less than 5000, I usually go for anything in the x<20 seat range, maybe even x<15. If you can get the aircraft for under 1 mil, it is an even larger plus. I would look at first getting all the airports around the 600nm range that have more than 500 passengers first though. At least to help cover some of the costs here.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk