Airline Mogul Forum

Zero Tolerance

Pacific

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #135 on: October 19, 2007, 12:51:37 pm
Quote from: "JM1878"
On that note, I also think there should be a limit to how many new routes you can open up each game day. As this is a game people arent here 24jrs a day. By not letting someone move into a new area and wipe out the competition literally while they are sleeping :)

I had an arse in the "blue" game who would purposely wait for me to sleep before opening a whole load of new routes.  That game had a buggy load factor script so I woke up with a whole bunch of routes with 0% loadfactor.

Jps

• Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #136 on: October 19, 2007, 12:52:31 pm
Quote from: "Pacific"
On that note, I also think there should be a limit to how many new routes you can open up each game day. As this is a game people arent here 24jrs a day. By not letting someone move into a new area and wipe out the competition literally while they are sleeping :)

I had an arse in the "blue" game who would purposely wait for me to sleep before opening a whole load of new routes.

That guy must be smart  :lol:

ID: 5000 ~ Flying Beyond The Stars

LOT 737-300

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #137 on: October 19, 2007, 01:11:00 pm
Quote from: "Jps"
Quote from: "andylawrence"
The .05 routes absolutely suck, for those of us here for a SIMULATION, not a game, you cant compete against 68 .05 routes.  At this point i dont think they should be allowed unless your just using them to round out a planes flying hours.

Tell me what freq you can use on AMS to BOS... if you ever find a plane (in 1950) that can do 1 freq.. tell me

Well, one argument could be that (regardless of actual history) this is very early in the game, so perhaps not having 0.5s and thus not long haul would naturally slow down expansion a little bit which I think would be a good thing. I am new and looking at how quickly airlines expand in a few game months is insane to me.

But, what about (as a short term fix) limiting 0.5s to over a certain distance. I know this isnt perfect (as there are justifications for short haul 0.5s) but for now this would allow people to get these long haul routes up and running with the current planes, but cut out someone setting up 70 short 0.5 routes in one go to all routes from a major airport.

On that note, I also think there should be a limit to how many new routes you can open up each game day. As this is a game people arent here 24jrs a day. By not letting someone move into a new area and wipe out the competition literally while they are sleeping :) and holding back their expansion a bit, this would allow competition in the area to react with a little more realism. It would mean players could try and alter their strategy gradually to fend off a new threat, rather than logging in after work and seeing that they have to change everything in one swoop.

Just some thoughts from a newbie - so I am sure more experienced players will have plenty to disagree with! :D

I would also say that this solution wouldn't work. Some of us have some 2 hours on our planes and could very well use a .5 on a short route. a 2x max per plane in my opinion is very reasonable, despite the small issues. I also think that wouldn't been helpful too, all those airlines that have like 68 .5s were able to operate some 15-30 routes within their first day, while those who didn't could only do some 4-20, so they could naturally take advantage of a larger amount of routes and get the higher DOPs.

Jps

• Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #138 on: October 19, 2007, 01:12:35 pm
Actually you get more DOP if you do 1 freq flights... loadfactor script changed by Will

Pacific

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #139 on: October 19, 2007, 01:15:27 pm
What LOT means is, it's far more efficient time-to-money wise to do a whole load of 0.5s.

Jps

• Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #140 on: October 19, 2007, 01:16:26 pm
Quote from: "Pacific"
What LOT means is, it's far more efficient time-to-money wise to do a whole load of 0.5s.

Sure is but you're carrying less passengers.. that can affect your airline value too..  :lol:

JM1878

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #141 on: October 19, 2007, 01:30:42 pm
As I said, I thought some more experienced people would disagree  :lol:

I also said it wasn't perfect and wasn't the final solution. And, part of my thoughts are to slow down expansion - going from 500k euros or whatever we started with to 1000,000,000 in just a few game months is too quick in my opinion. So I think slower progress would be a good thing, with the efficiency of your planes (ie the extra hour or two they have left over if you cant fit them into round trip routes) improving over time.

I myself have got my DOP up to two million in 6 months - I dont know how this rates to others but I think that is too much too quick, so I would be all for measures that limited routes and things early in the game.
nion Air (ID 4809)

Pacific

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #142 on: October 19, 2007, 01:38:26 pm
Very true.  Last round, I entered late and it took me 2 weeks with better equipment to reach the amount of DOP I have right now.

It took 6 days on these rubbish planes to do it this time.  If I had Dash 8-300s and 717BGWs at my disposal, I may be able to do it in 4 days.

NewYinzer

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #143 on: October 19, 2007, 01:55:03 pm

I also said it wasn't perfect and wasn't the final solution. And, part of my thoughts are to slow down expansion - going from 500k euros or whatever we started with to 1000,000,000 in just a few game months is too quick in my opinion. So I think slower progress would be a good thing, with the efficiency of your planes (ie the extra hour or two they have left over if you cant fit them into round trip routes) improving over time.

I myself have got my DOP up to two million in 6 months - I dont know how this rates to others but I think that is too much too quick, so I would be all for measures that limited routes and things early in the game.

It is true that you can get rich quick, but the challenge is maintaining that wealth. Pan American became the biggest airline in the world rather quickly, but the airline fell into disarray and lost control of that title very quickly, eventually declaring bankruptcy. The only difference between this game is there is no route regulation or price regulation. You can go from Tokyo-Osaka ten times a day and charge 10 euros if you want, but to become successful, you have to keep changing to respond to the market.

Jps

• Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #144 on: October 19, 2007, 01:57:59 pm
Quote from: "NewYinzer"

It is true that you can get rich quick, but the challenge is maintaining that wealth. Pan American became the biggest airline in the world rather quickly, but the airline fell into disarray and lost control of that title very quickly, eventually declaring bankruptcy. The only difference between this game is there is no route regulation or price regulation. You can go from Tokyo-Osaka ten times a day and charge 10 euros if you want, but to become successful, you have to keep changing to respond to the market.

This is a game... there is no "staff strike" in AM..  :lol:

andylawrence

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #145 on: October 19, 2007, 05:35:25 pm
Quote from: "Jps"
Quote from: "andylawrence"
The .05 routes absolutely suck, for those of us here for a SIMULATION, not a game, you cant compete against 68 .05 routes.  At this point i dont think they should be allowed unless your just using them to round out a planes flying hours.

Tell me what freq you can use on AMS to BOS... if you ever find a plane (in 1950) that can do 1 freq.. tell me

The long haul routes aren't the problem.   Its the airline that uses almost exclusive short hops, with 68 flights daily that 99 percent are .05 routes.  They could easily be round trip routes.  It just sucks the fun out of a simulation.   I understand the need for long haul .05 routes especially at this point in the time frame, perhaps I was too hasty earlier.  In any event something has to be done.  I don't have a problem using the routes to round out a particular aircrafts schedule but to just use .05 routes from one point for an entire aircrafts schedule is just plain cheating.
img]http://www.airlinemogul.com/airlinelogos/panambs.png[/img]
Airline ID 140

empedocles

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #146 on: December 18, 2007, 12:04:50 pm
Quote from: "pseudoswede"
Here is where we need clarification...

If a single plane is doing more than two x.5 routes (that includes 0.5, 1.5, 2.5, etc., then it shouldn't be allowed, right?

This question has never really been definitively answered here, and now that we have someone questioning it, a little revisit seems in order.

dktc

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #147 on: December 19, 2007, 02:29:36 am
Quote from: "empedocles"
Quote from: "pseudoswede"
Here is where we need clarification...

If a single plane is doing more than two x.5 routes (that includes 0.5, 1.5, 2.5, etc., then it shouldn't be allowed, right?

This question has never really been definitively answered here, and now that we have someone questioning it, a little revisit seems in order.

With reference to this post, http://stephenm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=32234#32234

I would admit that there is a grey area in this rule. We have always been talking 0.5's while we are referring to all .5's. All of the n.5 flights would give considerable advatange when compared to the relevant (n+1) flight. The n.5 flights are technically the same as 0.5 vs 1.0. In my most recent reminder post, I have used .5's instead of 0.5's to reflect this fact, as well as the mentality of the admins.

However, seeing that there exists a grey area, we ahve not been enforcing this rule when it concerns flights with frequencies other than 0.5's so far. The one complaint we have had is a result of a miscommunication.

We will be modifying the wordings of this rule and make sure all our players are aware of it by the next reset.
D Express (id 616) 8)
AM Membership Officer / Official Broker

bibi974

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #148 on: December 28, 2007, 08:26:37 am
the fact is that, in the last round, you could make a better DOP with 0.5 flights rather than 1. when you tried to put a 1.0 frequency, you had to lower the price so much that it ended up to the same than 0.5 or not so much more
Maybe if you remedied that.... making round trip flights more profitable than .5s flights
URL=http://www.airlinemogul.com/airlinemogul/view_airline.php?id=5435][/URL]

You never rose that high!

john123

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #149 on: February 19, 2008, 07:59:49 am
What are the benifits to having 0.5's on routes and why are they is it so strongly discouraged to have more than one .5 per route? How big a difference is it?
ohn

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk