Airline Mogul Forum

Total newbie - beyond the basic tutorial??

Docklander

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
on: September 28, 2012, 10:16:52 am
Forum code: Airline Mogul - See my airline
World Info URL: http://www.airlinemogul.com/airlinemogul/world_info.php?wid=2444
Current bases: Melbourne(Tullamarine)
DOC:€ 129,898

Goals: just want to learn how to play the game so that I don't make as many mistakes the next time

Ok signed up to this yesterday and so far I like what I see.
However after following the basic tutorial to get a route operating (now have 4 routes) I am not really clear on how to continue growing?
Should I look at getting more aircraft to operate from my single base?
Am I better off establishing a second base (or more), or just working from the one base?
Where can I see how efficiently I am using my one aircraft and if there is spare capacity for another route?
Is it worth setting up routes to smaller regional airports close to my base, or should I concentrate on larger cities that are more distant?

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, but I did try searching for bits of info without much success, hence the post  :-[
thanks for any help or suggestions  :)

1993matias

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Senior Manager
  • Play to have fun!
    • View Profile
    • Train pins and tie clips
Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 01:53:00 pm
Hello and welcome :D

For starters you can return all your unused gates. Why, you say? Because each gate gives you ten slots, and a flight with a daily frequency of one uses one slot. Having four gates for one flight is therefore not economically reasonable.

In order to expand, you will need enough money to purchase more planes in order to open new routes in order to earn more money in order to purchase more planes....... ;)
The first planes you buy should be cheap, but as time goes on you will be able to purchase bigger planes. With your current DOC, you will earn ~€2 million a month, so that is a cheap 20-seater each month. Remember to check these three important things when purchasing aircraft:
 - Range: Make sure it can fly where you want it to fly.
 - Speed: Make sure it is fast enough; not really important in the beginning.
 - Seats: Make sure it has enough seats to fulfil your needs. Generally speaking, the more the better.

The strategy that earns the most money is to spam routes within ~500 miles of your base until there are no airports left. Then you either expand to another airport and repeat, or expand out to 1000 miles. This is not realistic at all, so you might want to fly some longer routes too - it is entirely up to you.
Why spam routes, you say? Let's say a plane can fly a 1000 mile route in 10 hours earning 50k, but it can fly two 500 mile routes in 5 hours earning 35k each - total 500 mile profit: 70k. Thus the short routes give the biggest total profit, even if the individual route earns less.

A new base costs four gates plus 60x the gate rent fee of the desired airport (e.g. the gate rent fee is 300k, a new base then costs 300k * 60 = 18,000k). It is entirely up to you when to establish a new base, but 6-12 months is not a long time. You could also stick with one base all the time, there is nothing preventing you from doing that.
When creating a new base near one of your current bases, you will be able to create routes to airports you already have gates at. This means you save money on gate rent.

Back to aircraft:
Try to keep the remaining time on aircraft less than one hour. You can see how much time your aircraft have left by clicking on Aircraft -> View Aircraft. There is a column called 'Hours', it shows how many hours and minutes your plane has left.

Useful tools in the game:
OCP - is an abbreviation for One Click Purchase. It is a button you click to rent a gate immediately without having to reload the page. OCP is very useful when using Gate Search or when in need of some more gates in general. In order to activate OCP, go to your Admin panel and click on 'Visit the Features Market'. There wou can activate Improved OCP.

Improved gate search - Search for nearby airports and create routes with one click. Improved enables you to order the airports by passenger numbers, distance, name, country, etc. You also get a range of different useful options to help you choose the right airports.

I hope this wasn't too long :P
If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask, I will try to keep it short :lol:

Docklander

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 01:59:31 pm
Thanks that gives me some more ideas to work with :-)
Can I 'return gates' or do I just have to wait for them to be closed at the end of the month due inactivity?
I am sure there will be heaps more questions, but I will absorb these tips first and see how far that takes me - thanks again ;-)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 02:03:34 pm by Docklander »

1993matias

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Senior Manager
  • Play to have fun!
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 02:08:51 pm
You can return gates by going to Operations -> View Gates, check the boxes in the right side of the list and click on 'Return Gates' at the bottom. Remember to select the amount of gates you want to return!

I also forgot to tell you to check on the Aircraft Market in order to get cheap aircraft, it is often worth it - especially for a start-up airline!

Docklander

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 10:28:04 am
Is it good practice to run 2 acft on the same route?
Is it better to send the 2nd acft to another destination?
Are there any tips about longer routes vs shorter routes? By that I mean am I better running for example 7 return short routes or 3 return longer routes with the same acft?
Sorry to bombard you with questions but I am keen further my understanding and progresss.  :)

1993matias

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Senior Manager
  • Play to have fun!
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 10:34:08 am
The optimal frequency is one flight daily for medium and short routes. Don't fly more than one aircraft on one route, as you will be competing with yourself.
Let's say a plane can fly a 1000 mile route in 10 hours earning 50k, but it can fly two 500 mile routes in 5 hours earning 35k each - total 500 mile profit: 70k. Thus the short routes give the biggest total profit, even if the individual route earns less.

No problem, I'm sure other players will benefit from this thread too :)

Docklander

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 06:49:22 am
Another couple of extended newbie questions please?

1/. If cancelling a lease early are there any associated fees? I searched the forum and could not find anything on this more recent than 2010??

2/. If I have two bases and run a flight from Base 1 to Base 2 (frequency 1), and another flight from Base 2 to Base 1 (frequency 1) are they competing against each other?

thanks, Graham  :)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 07:06:13 am by Docklander »

Hal

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 09:05:19 am
1. there is no penalty for returning a/c back
2. yes they will be competing
Central Europe Brokerage, official broker, ID15523.

RGomes

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 08:10:27 pm
OK, reliving the topic....

Questions:

1) In the first aircraft I bought many gates, which carry 10 slots. I use only one for now. What is the best strategy to use the remaining 9 slots ??
2) I guess the main index of "success" is airline value. How exactly is it calculated, so I can work to increase it?
3) At what server time does the month "change"? I guess this is important so I always have money in the bank at that time, right?

Thanks for now :)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 08:13:20 pm by RGomes »

squaregatescrub

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 02:23:01 am
Thanks for all of the contributions everyone.  I am a new user and this has been very helpful!

First thing I did, returned all unused gates!

norge

• Airline Supervisor
  • Partially Inactive
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: August 01, 2013, 01:56:49 pm
OK, reliving the topic....

Questions:

1) In the first aircraft I bought many gates, which carry 10 slots. I use only one for now. What is the best strategy to use the remaining 9 slots ??
2) I guess the main index of "success" is airline value. How exactly is it calculated, so I can work to increase it?
3) At what server time does the month "change"? I guess this is important so I always have money in the bank at that time, right?

Thanks for now :)

Possibly late, but anyway...

1. You could always fly more routes to those destinations to use more slots, or you can increase frequency on your existing routes. A 1.0 frequency will use 1 slot, a 1.5 will use 2, a 2.0 will use 2 slots, and so on.
2. What "success" is depends on your ambitions. If you have a nice airline with a nice, young fleet flying to most major destinations, then at least IMO that's a success. :) I'm not completely sure how airline value is calculated, but I think it's 'Value = Cash + Aircraft value + Terminals + Gates'. Possibly some more factors in there.
3. It depends on the world. A new day starts each hour, and there's 24 days (hours) in each month (RL day). In some worlds a new month starts in the middle of the night or in others a new month starts during dinner. Or any other timeslot of the day.

Hope this clarified some stuff :D

squaregatescrub

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 03:25:05 pm

1. You could always fly more routes to those destinations to use more slots,

Wouldn't that cause competition to yourself?

norge

• Airline Supervisor
  • Partially Inactive
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: August 01, 2013, 03:45:46 pm
Not if you fly from different hubs. :P I forgot to add that in.

1993matias

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Senior Manager
  • Play to have fun!
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: August 01, 2013, 04:00:07 pm
If you increase frequency, you earn less money per aircraft hour than if you keep the frequency at a minimum ;)

norge

• Airline Supervisor
  • Partially Inactive
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: August 01, 2013, 05:35:30 pm
That must be second after the new maintentance formula - a new frequency formula.  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk