Airline Mogul Forum

The stupidity of Multifreq

CHR

• Brokers
  • Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #30 on: March 01, 2009, 11:40:50 am
That's true, you can set up more than one 0.5 if you change bases. I just usually don't changes bases to avoid complications when changing aircraft.

gisa

• Airline Operative
  • "You can have it all but how much do you want it?"
    • View Profile
Reply #31 on: March 01, 2009, 11:42:53 am
TY again CHR.

I might be new, but Dasha, it's inefficient to run at 3-4 frequencies.  You could still make a profit out of it (and a lot of enemies lol) but if money is how you expand and make more money, then you are limiting yourself.  Worse, some of the big boys have the money, DOP and experience to deal with these types...

*Must get bigger...to survive in pond*

Believe me, I have one competitor who I'm thinking of going up against just out of spite (by expanding to HIS hubs and setting up multifrequencing on HIS routes) but he's bigger than me for now.  Now, I must be patient...

Still, if operating like real life floats your boat, go for it.  I aim for a mix between the two.  And I can tell you that on one flight from Incheon to Busan (where there were 3 daily flights) the plane was maybe 15% filled and they had already combined the flight with another airline to try to save money.  Different circumstance I know, but I do see the realism in the business model that supply affects demand which therefore affects profits.

8)

Gisa ^^
Gisa Airlines: Gateway Into South Africa!
Sky Knights: The sky is the bottom limit!

yourefired

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #32 on: March 14, 2009, 11:44:31 pm
It's a valid but stupid strategy. Obviously, most of the people that do 10-frequency flights here don't understand the concept of opportunity cost. Or supply and demand for that matter.

Air Canada, LLC (Private W224)

speedbird

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #33 on: March 17, 2009, 12:42:21 am
I understand people saying it is best to have one frequency per day on a route as this will generate the most money, but why is the game set up this way. On short haul flights with a demand of say 1000 people unless you schedule one A380 to do this 300 mile flight which would be unprofitable why can't you schedule 5 A321s of 180 capacity with the same price as 1 A321 a day on that route. I understand more competition will reduce the price but you are not competing with yourself for passengers and if the supply is lower than the demand then why should the price need to be lowered.

I am in a game in 1920 and the amount of passengers is at 21st century levels with 14 seater aircraft. The demand is way over the supply by 100 or 1000 times yet with 2 flights I have to slash the price to get 100% load factor and the same profit as one flight. It seems crazy with 28 seat supply and over 1000 passenger demand it shouldn't make a difference on the price for one or two flights.

It isn't very realistic for everyone just to have one flight a day to each destination. Long haul maybe short haul definatly not. Look at the London - New York route with over 30 flights a day between them and prices aren't £2.50 but probably would be on this game play.

skumfrik

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #34 on: April 04, 2009, 04:56:02 am
I agree with Fitch. In the real world, one should be able to fly more than 1 frequency daily between for example OSL-ARN. If you try more they aren't profitable. 2 freqencies may bring in a little 5 percent more cash, while 3 will make less than 1. What's the deal?
Another example: there are about 20 daily roundtrips between OSL-BGO flown by SAS and Norwegian, but in AM there is only room for 2 or 3, if flown by different flights/airlines.
In this case, it would also be nice with a transfer system, as I know people tend to travel domestic from the smallest airport, via the larger one to the largest, or directly to the largest. I doubt that it's only in Norway this is the case.
Thanks

trimotor43

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #35 on: April 04, 2009, 05:09:35 pm
I think you've got part of it as to why multi-freq's don't work right. Passengers do not have connecting flights, so the amount of passengers is actually less than the numbers indicate. One other thing that may help is the reduction in hubs that are allowed for our home regions along with a transfer system. Once AM passengers can have that connecting flight through ORD so they can get from IAD to MSP then there really won't be a need for airlines to have up to five hubs in their home region. So perhaps at that point the number of domestic hubs allowed could be limited somehow. Right now such a limit wouldn't work. We need a transfer system first.

skumfrik

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #36 on: April 04, 2009, 08:21:53 pm
Hopefully it will work out for everyone at last:P

MrOrange

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #37 on: April 07, 2009, 05:21:31 pm
It's a valid but stupid strategy. Obviously, most of the people that do 10-frequency flights here don't understand the concept of opportunity cost. Or supply and demand for that matter.
There are multiple situations in which having 2, 3 or more frequencies would make for a both valid and smart strategy. If I have a plane flying AMS-LHR when 5 years into a round, and the plane has 3 hours left, why not strengthen my position on that route? I might make a few less €'s compared to if I created a second route to another airport (a route that I would probably already be flying), but if I can't create a new route because I'm already flying to all nearby airports, why not maximize my airplane's potential and make some extra cash? Besides, if I'm paying for 10 slots while not using 9 of them, I might as well pay for 10 and not use 8 of them.

mashimaro_1

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #38 on: April 22, 2009, 07:31:13 am
Hehehe, what is the best way to push your competitors out of the market?  8)

What plane, how many frequencies?
Jesters Airways

CHR

• Brokers
  • Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #39 on: April 22, 2009, 08:52:15 am
There is little point in trying to push someone out of a market using multi frequencies.
Firstly, it is true that you will hurt them a little, but you will hurt yourself a lot more.
Secondly, if you do manage to push them off a route, they can just set up a route to a different airport, and return to the initial route once you have stopped the multi-frequency.

However, if you still want to push people off a route, you need to maximise the number of seats you dump on the route. You could do this by using a really big aircraft, or using multi-frequencies, or a bit of both.
If it is a short haul route, try to find a plane with a really low range, because they will be cheaper, then put on lots of multi-frequencies.

nwadeltaboy

• Airline Senior Manager
  • AM's official Spammer. Check my post counts.
    • View Profile
Reply #40 on: April 22, 2009, 09:02:49 pm
I've always wondered; does putting a plane with, say, 50 seats on a route with 3x frequency have the same effect as putting a 150-seater with 1x freq?

I feel like a noob :-[ :lol:

iranair777

• Brokers
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #42 on: April 24, 2009, 02:38:59 pm
Ali,

Constructive debate on this topic is permitted. If you have nothing to contribute to the thread, there is no need to make a post.
Stephen Murphy
Airline Mogul Chief Developer

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk