Airline Mogul Forum

Help at beginning airlines

MrOrange

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: April 07, 2009, 05:24:12 pm
Okay, well I got 25 out of 64 destinations in Europe now so with 2 more planes I could bring that up to 40-45 destinations and than when DOC won't grow that fast anymore open a new base in central europe.
You'll quickly notice that, the more routes you create from your existing bases, the less routes you'll be able to fit in a plane. What I mostly did, when basing in Europe, was to create a new base as soon as I hit 60 routes from all my other bases, or if I had 4 or less routes on an airplane and had used all its hours. That's just a personal thing, you'd be best off trying different strategies and combining them to get something you feel comfortable with.

Exangelus

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: April 07, 2009, 05:32:58 pm
Okay, well I just checked some routes and it turns out that on the ATR I can only do 3 routes from Stansted and 4.5 on the F70 if I give the shortest to the ATR so I probably will allready make a new base for those planes to fly to the same destinations I fly to now from Stansted. Just another question? Is it neccesary to take a airport with 45m + pax for a base or will a smaller with 20m + will do good aswell, is it a big difference?
MaddoxAir Private world #398 - Sniller Public World #461

MrOrange

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: April 07, 2009, 05:57:44 pm
An airport with 45m+ pax is bound to attract loads of airlines wanting to base there, which means you're gonna get massive competition to cope with. If you like that, go for the 45m+ airport. If you don't, try to go for the smaller, not-so-wanted airports.

Exangelus

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: April 07, 2009, 06:03:33 pm
Good point, thx!  :D

Exangelus

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: April 08, 2009, 08:02:49 am
Well I started another base in Paris Orly now, works fine I'm the only one there and I got my doc up to 4.4m.
I currently have alot of leases and I'm thinking of either replacing them now plane by plane until all the aircraft I use are fully mine and than start expanding or keeping the leases for now and buying more planes to open the remaining routes in europe (+- 15) and than when I got europe completely start replacing the leases?
My fleet now is: F70, ATR72, B737-3
Leasing: B737-2, 3x F100, EMB120.
Either way I'm gonna replace the embrear because it has only 30pax and it fly's some very profitable routes so I rather have another F70/100 on those routes.
But what with the rest? Expand further or replace the leases?

MrOrange

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: April 08, 2009, 12:26:58 pm
Well, at 4.4M/day you don't really have the cashflow to start ordering proper replacements for your leases yet, except for the Emb120, so I'd keep them for a little while, get some expansion going and then start replacing your leases. That does depend on the lease rates and the ROI of the leased planes.

Exangelus

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: April 08, 2009, 01:12:12 pm
I pay 3.3m for the B737-2 and 2.2m for each of the F100's. I make +- 600k on the F100's and 800k on the 737-2.
Not sure how to calculate the ROI of a lease but I make alot of net profit on them each month.

Severnaya

• Airline Operative
  • The truth is more important than the facts.
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: April 08, 2009, 01:40:25 pm
I pay 3.3m for the B737-2 and 2.2m for each of the F100's. I make +- 600k on the F100's and 800k on the 737-2.
Not sure how to calculate the ROI of a lease but I make alot of net profit on them each month.

24*800,000=19,2m/month and you pay 3.3m, so why would you want to replace that one already? (don't forget the maintance fees which you'll have to pay once you own the plane).

24*600,000=14,4m/month with a lease of 2,2m = 12,2m profit.

I don't really see the sence to replace the leased aircraft with your own planes as these lease-rates are quite profitable for you.

CHR

• Brokers
  • Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: April 08, 2009, 01:50:30 pm
737-200
Monthly cost: 3,300,000
Monthly revenue: 800,000 x 24 = 19,200,000
Monthly profit: 19,200,000 - 3,300,000 = 15,900,000

Fokker 100
Monthly cost: 2,200,000
Monthly revenue: 600,000 x 24 = 14,400,000
Monthly profit: 14,400,000 - 2,200,000 = 12,200,000

That shows how to calculate the profit a plane makes.
ROI (return on investment) is the amount of money you make relative to the amount of money you have to spend to get that profit.
To put that into practical terms, ROI is the profit you make relative to the cost of the plane.
In the early parts of the game, the investment is the initial lease fee you have to pay to get the aircraft, in the example of the 737, it is 3.3 million. When we compare this to the return, (15.9 million monthly), we see the ratio is quite high.
Now, assume that you bought the aircraft, say it costs 40 million. If we ignoring the costs of maintenance etc., we can assume that you get all the money the plane makes. Therefore, investment is 40 million, return is 19.2 million monthly.

Initially, one might look at this an say 19 million is more than 16 million, therefore buying a plane is better. However, what if we consider it this way - for the initial investment (40 million), you could have acquired leases on 12 aircraft. 12 x 16 million is more than 19 million. This leads us to conclude leasing is more profitable.

However, there are three reasons to stop leasing.
1 - You can't find anymore planes to lease.
2 - You run out of highly profitable routes and can't pay off the leasing costs (this will require you to service a very large number of airports, although it does depend on how many airports are near by)
3 - You have spare money.

Number 3 requires more explanation. The ROI stuff is based on the idea that you will spend all your money - i.e. that instead of paying 40 million to buy an aircraft, you will in fact rent 12. Once your airline becomes very big (assuming there are still planes available to rent), and you are making lots of profit, you will find you do not have enough time to put all these aircraft you are leasing on routes.
So you have the following options (assuming you only have the time to put 5 aircraft on routes): buy 5 aircraft and put them on routes or lease 5 aircraft and put them on routes. Do the calculations, and clearly buying aircraft is more profitable.

In summary, lease aircraft (assuming you make a reasonable profit per plane) until you have too many planes to put on routes, then start to buy aircraft. The worst thing you can do is have money lying around  - because you aren't using it to make you more money.

You have to spend money to save [or make] money.

Exangelus

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: April 08, 2009, 02:14:33 pm
Ok, thanks CHR that clarifies alot. For now there are routes to be flown but no leases avaible altough I'm expecting some offers today.
Please advice: I'm thinking about either buying a F70 now or wait till tonight and than purchase a F100 or B735 to replace the EMB120? In both ways I keep about 10m so I'm also able to lease some more planes if they get avaible.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 02:26:46 pm by Exangelus »

CHR

• Brokers
  • Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: April 08, 2009, 02:24:10 pm
As another a little side note, you generally make more money on lots of small planes flying lots of routes than one big plane flying less routes - so your probably better off buying the smaller planes.

peterkirby

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
    • NetWorld Alliance
Reply #26 on: April 09, 2009, 03:37:12 am
As another a little side note, you generally make more money on lots of small planes flying lots of routes than one big plane flying less routes - so your probably better off buying the smaller planes.
Advice also given in first reply...  ;)
Airline 23317 (KirbAir / KRB)
Public World 461 and 506
Private World 82, 452, and 503

Exangelus

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: April 09, 2009, 11:04:22 pm
I got another one. Currently I have about 13 F100's/B737's spread over 3 europe bases but a concurrent created a base at the same airports as me. He's a little larger than me(I got 22k pax and he got 25k pax) and we continiously drop down our fares 1 euro below each other to keep it at a 100% loadfactor but is this the way?
Is this the beginning of the tough world were people keep nailing each other routes until somebody goes red and has to break off or are their ways to outsmart him, yesterday I read some stuff about multifrequencing the routes you share to put him out of business but is that an effective way or are there other better strategies?

Please advice  ;)

pseudoswede

• Airline Manager
  • Play to win, not imitate.
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: April 10, 2009, 12:13:50 am
yesterday I read some stuff about multifrequencing the routes you share to put him out of business but is that an effective way or are there other better strategies?

Adding frequencies rarely forces competitors off a route. You are better off simply flying to destinations your competitor isn't.

As for fares, do what you want. You'll eventually reach a point where both planes will have 100% load factors. How quickly you want to get there is up to you (and your competitor).

Planet Express Airways
Member of the FT Alliance
ID: 3446

Opinions expressed in my posts are suggestions to achieve maximum airline value and top rankings.
If you do not wish for either, then feel free to ignore.

CHR

• Brokers
  • Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #29 on: April 10, 2009, 01:05:21 am
When you increase the frequency, you hurt the other player a little and yourself a lot. It only really works if you are a lot bigger. Try lowering your fares by more that $1, say $20 or $50. You will reach a stable point much quicker.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk