Airline Mogul Forum

Core 2 Quad or Core 2 Duo?

Poll

Which do you think, is best overall (Performance, value etc)

Core 2 Quad
3 (60%)
Core 2 Duo
2 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 5

killian320

• Airline Operative
  • Killiarney :P
    • View Profile
on: March 11, 2009, 06:09:19 pm
Hey guys, a little debate running between myself and a few of my friends, so I ask you, which do you think is best overall; the Intel Core 2 Duo, or Core 2 Quad?

I myself have the Core 2 Quad, and it performs excellently, but how does the Core 2 duo stand beside it?

Pavel

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 06:15:30 pm
Core 2 Quad is a quad core processor, Core 2 Duo os a dual core processor. So yeah, Core 2 Quad is like twice as better.
Pavel

pseudoswede

• Airline Manager
  • Play to win, not imitate.
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 06:41:03 pm
It depends what you want to do with your computing time...

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000942.html

Summary: For encoding, rendering, coding, etc., quad-core is best. For gaming, a higher-clocked dual-core.

Planet Express Airways
Member of the FT Alliance
ID: 3446

Opinions expressed in my posts are suggestions to achieve maximum airline value and top rankings.
If you do not wish for either, then feel free to ignore.

Pavel

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 09:10:22 pm
It depends what you want to do with your computing time...

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000942.html

Summary: For encoding, rendering, coding, etc., quad-core is best. For gaming, a higher-clocked dual-core.

Dude, seriously. If you get a 2Ghz Dual Core processor, that means total power is 4Ghz.
If you get a 2Ghz Quad Core processor, that means its total power is 8Ghz. That's why they call it Quad, 4 cores. Jeez, how hard is that to understand. And if you're saying dual core is better, why the hell are quad cores are more expensive?

And if you're still in doubt, ask that question to neowin.net
I already did before.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 09:24:47 pm by new-at-flying »
Pavel

pseudoswede

• Airline Manager
  • Play to win, not imitate.
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 10:14:10 pm
Dude, seriously. If you get a 2Ghz Dual Core processor, that means total power is 4Ghz.
If you get a 2Ghz Quad Core processor, that means its total power is 8Ghz. That's why they call it Quad, 4 cores. Jeez, how hard is that to understand. And if you're saying dual core is better, why the hell are quad cores are more expensive?

And if you're still in doubt, ask that question to neowin.net
I already did before.

Wow. That's all I can say.

A dual-core processor means it has two channels to process instructions. Each channel can process the instruction at 2 GHz. You cannot combine both channels to process the same instruction at twice the speed!

And if it was what you think it is, wouldn't Intel advertise the chip as 4 GHz and not 2 GHz? It doesn't even say 2 x 2 GHz. It would be like Ferrari advertising: "Yes! Our car can go 80mph!"

Planet Express Airways
Member of the FT Alliance
ID: 3446

Opinions expressed in my posts are suggestions to achieve maximum airline value and top rankings.
If you do not wish for either, then feel free to ignore.

iranair777

• Brokers
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 11:29:47 am
Depends what quad core processor your talking about; normal Q4 like the Q6600's etc or the i7?

i7 is far best in terms of performance without overclocking it with games, but about 100 notes more expensive, but the rest are better than the dual cores in some cases.

I'm planning to build a system during this summer with a i7 920 and a GTX 260 and cant wait  :D

killian320

• Airline Operative
  • Killiarney :P
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 03:30:33 pm
Depends what quad core processor your talking about; normal Q4 like the Q6600's etc or the i7?

i7 is far best in terms of performance without overclocking it with games, but about 100 notes more expensive, but the rest are better than the dual cores in some cases.

I'm planning to build a system during this summer with a i7 920 and a GTX 260 and cant wait  :D

I wasnt counting the i7, but its right to put it in there.

I hear the i7 920 can easily be overclocked to 3.8GHz LOL

Pavel

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 04:27:10 pm
What do you want me to say?
Pavel

AirHanoverInternational

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 08:12:04 pm
Perhaps: "A quad is not twice as fast as a duo!"

Have it a look this way: when two people running side by side their speed will not be twice as much as if one of them was running alone. They could carry probably twice the weight (assuming they are in the same shape) but they have to synchronize their speed to run parallel. It is probably not the best comparision but it should give you the idea. ;)
an (AirHanoverInternational ID:5980)

Pavel

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 08:12:48 pm
yeah yeah, I misread something wrong...
Pavel

DkCr

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 08:28:29 pm
Quad Core does not translate to 2x the speed of Dual Core. There may be a significant boost in performance depending on the type of applications you are using but it wont be 200%.  Generally speaking Quad Core are useful for people that needs to have multiple programs running at the same time, those are programs that require lots of computing power.  Some high-end games will enable you to make use of all of them. Some will opt for dual core where they see little gain in performance with Quad Core for the kind of work/play they do and maybe use the extra money to get a higher clock or invest on other parts.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 08:30:54 pm by DkCr »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk