gisa

• Airline Operative
  • "You can have it all but how much do you want it?"
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: March 15, 2009, 03:22:40 am
Thanks for the extra information. :)

8)

Gisa ^^
Gisa Airlines: Gateway Into South Africa!
Sky Knights: The sky is the bottom limit!

MrOrange

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: March 20, 2009, 01:56:59 pm
I was thinking about putting it the wiki, however it seems that many people don't look at the wiki before asking questions on the forum, as the answers can often be found there.
I am also unsure as to what qualifies for the wiki. I was under the impression that the wiki was more for facts (such as "The maintenance for a terminal is 75% of gate rental") as opposed to what are essentially my opinions (such as "You might be better off buying aircraft rather than terminal gates if you don't need the gates right now.").
That said, if people feel that anything here would be useful on the wiki, feel free to put it on there. I might try to put in some links to the wiki later on, that may get more people reading it.
You brought up a good point there. The wiki is, indeed, meant to be an un-biased game manual, which doesn't force players to play the game in a certain way. Opinions, therefore, would mostly be out of place in the wiki, not so much in the Game Strategy forum which is meant for discussion on various strategies. However, in your first post you list pros and cons, which IMO would be good in the wiki.

Also, we have this in-game manual thing, the expansion of which is still on my to-do-list. I'll definitely check this space to see if I've overlooked things. (And maybe blatantly steal several lines from your first post, if you don't mind)

pseudoswede

• Airline Manager
  • Play to win, not imitate.
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: March 27, 2009, 03:25:01 pm
The Wiki does not have to be a simple, un-biased resource of information. Sure, the majority of it should be; however, there can be sections that do state opinions and common strategies. Remember, the Wiki relies on user contributions to make it better.

Speaking of the Wiki, TTA and I have been doing some major overhauling of it.

http://www.airlinemogul.com/manual/index.php/Main_Page

We welcome any suggestions on how to make it better.

Planet Express Airways
Member of the FT Alliance
ID: 3446

Opinions expressed in my posts are suggestions to achieve maximum airline value and top rankings.
If you do not wish for either, then feel free to ignore.

MrOrange

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: March 27, 2009, 06:35:35 pm
I like the wiki. Good work on that, both :D And as I said, mostly, opinions shouldn't be in the wiki, but there are cases where it is definitely justifiable.

trimotor43

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: March 27, 2009, 06:54:13 pm
Thanks for the extra information. It certainly is helpful.

I do have one question though, if I'm building a terminal what's the incentive to move my flights to my owned gates? Say I have seven gates rented, and build a terminal which is five gates initially. Does the game let me keep all seven rented gates, or are five rented gates returned because I've built five gates? Either way makes sense, I'm just still a bit confused on how this works.

pseudoswede

• Airline Manager
  • Play to win, not imitate.
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: March 27, 2009, 08:41:32 pm
Thanks for the extra information. It certainly is helpful.

I do have one question though, if I'm building a terminal what's the incentive to move my flights to my owned gates? Say I have seven gates rented, and build a terminal which is five gates initially. Does the game let me keep all seven rented gates, or are five rented gates returned because I've built five gates? Either way makes sense, I'm just still a bit confused on how this works.

The Wiki knows...

Planet Express Airways
Member of the FT Alliance
ID: 3446

Opinions expressed in my posts are suggestions to achieve maximum airline value and top rankings.
If you do not wish for either, then feel free to ignore.

CHR

• Brokers
  • Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: March 27, 2009, 10:08:00 pm
The wiki looks good now. The pictures really help it.

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: March 27, 2009, 10:12:13 pm
Many thanks to pseudoswede and SirMoo who persisted with getting me to turn on image uploads, and for contributing recently.
Stephen Murphy
Airline Mogul Chief Developer

XeniaAirways

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: April 14, 2009, 12:43:49 am
Interesting... I swear I heard that AirM factors in commonality into maintenance expenses... I guess a moderator could move this to the suggestions page then? :D
Xenia Air Holdings Ltd.

Current worlds:
None.

Past worlds:
Xenia Airways - W9 and W10
Zenith Airlines - PW133
AsiaExpress - PW465
silversky - PW705

ID#14564.

LGTM

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: September 12, 2009, 04:52:17 pm
So... My Fleet of A340s its craping my airline? :-\ I have 22, Why couldn't this planes can be profitable if they have less expense per passenger???

Obmit

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: January 12, 2010, 08:40:28 am
The maintenance on larger planes is heaps more than smaller ones, and generally the more seats above 300 an aircraft is, they seem to lose money.
I normally use planes with 100-200 seats for routes under 2000nm, and 200-300 above. The real reason though is the maintenance. Its a killer. And make sure you replace your aircraft after about 3 years of service, cause the maintenance will keep on rising.
Skywest PW1217

Virgin Serbia

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: January 01, 2011, 09:48:41 am
I only use aircraft with around 50 seats. Much more profitable.
O0 Lotus Airlines of India (PW#2650) •

Lord Voldemort

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: January 16, 2011, 06:42:23 pm
Do building terminals decrease your Airline Value?
I swear when I first built them it didn't, but extending them seems to.

caoimhin

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: April 09, 2011, 10:55:21 am
I have searched the Wiki and this thread but i cant find the answer to my question, How do you calculate the money you make on leasing planes deducting the maintenance?

CHR

• Brokers
  • Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #29 on: April 10, 2011, 03:01:04 am
As the person leasing in the plane, or leasing it out?
It's fairly easy to work out for the person leasing in. Simply multiply the daily profit by 24 - giving you the monthly profit - and compare it to the leasing fee (which is always monthly). Maintenance is paid by the owner, so you need not worry about that. The only other cost is gate fees - which are fairly minimal, and can be estimated based on which airports you fly to. If you're calculating them, consider that firstly they are monthly, and secondly the fees can be "shared" between aircraft if multiple ones are using a single gate.

In terms of leasing out a plane, you can't really calculate anything because the individual maintenance fees for aircraft aren't given (due to the way maintenance is calculated). You need to consider two things: the duration of the lease and the amount you're charging.
I tend to go for 10% of aircraft value and generally not much more than 5 years (i.e. ensure it is off lease at around 5 years - so if its 3 years old already, only offering it on 2-3 year leases).
You may also wish to try the higher turnover option - leasing aircraft for more like 2-3 years, and selling them second hand as soon as they are returned. You will often be able to get a decent amount of their value back (esp. in larger public worlds). As a rule, I assume that people will keep the lease until it expires - not that they will return it early - and plan accordingly.

Leasing in planes is a fairly risk free venture - as you have minimal investment required (less than buying planes) and you can get rid of the planes whenever you want. By contrast, leasing out planes is fairly risky - with considerable upfront and continuing costs - and no way to stop those costs other than waiting out the duration of the lease. It is quite easy for planes to become a burden (i.e. cost) for you if you don't choose the right conditions early on. That said, it can be a easy way of making money (no continual editing of routes!), if you get things right, and can provide some more interaction with other players in the game.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk