Airline Mogul Forum

Good time to create another base?

gisa · 26 · 7883

Cheung Airlines

• Brokers
  • Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: May 16, 2009, 01:04:58 pm
I'ld recommend you to open a new base in a 150k/150k+ airport. 100k is tough for airlines, but as I have said, the best time to create another base is not in terms of routes or DOC, but the longest distance that your route covers. If there are only 40 airports in 1000nm, It'll be time to open a new base and begin your expension out there.

My ID: |||||||||  - ||||||||||||||||
             A M ID:  1  02 5   2    (0)

ATE24

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: May 21, 2009, 06:30:22 am
I'ld recommend you to open a new base in a 150k/150k+ airport. 100k is tough for airlines, but as I have said, the best time to create another base is not in terms of routes or DOC, but the longest distance that your route covers. If there are only 40 airports in 1000nm, It'll be time to open a new base and begin your expension out there.
150K and 200K are far too bad for the expansion of an airline, I can say, especially when you are going to open routes to 50K airports, you are just losing money to the high fly maintenance fee and also to those attacking by "bleeding to death".

Thus, from my point of view, it is NOT suggested, and something valued 250K or even higher are STRONGLY suggested, though I'm not quite satisfactory on the performance of a 250K site.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 06:38:30 am by ATE24 »
W737 - EASC - The convergence of great European airlines

NorthSky Airlines

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: May 21, 2009, 02:11:42 pm
I just created another base 322 nm from my first base. Both airports have a gate rental price of 250k, and I had a DOC of about 5 million. When I created the base, my airline value increased dramatically (Almost tipped 1 billion), and my DOC increased by about three million in a matter of hours (I had two planes ready for use at that airport before I created it). My expenses also became "smaller" because I created routes from the new base to the destinations I allready had, which makes the gates at the destinations "cheaper" because you make more profit of that destination, if you understand

BTW, competition is more likely to be harder the higher gate rental price there is
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 02:15:48 pm by NorthSky Airlines »

pseudoswede

• Airline Manager
  • Play to win, not imitate.
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: May 21, 2009, 02:20:47 pm
150K and 200K are far too bad for the expansion of an airline, I can say, especially when you are going to open routes to 50K airports, you are just losing money to the high fly maintenance fee and also to those attacking by "bleeding to death".

You're probably using jets and expensive planes. Super-cheap props (25-50 pax) are all you need on routes to 50k airports.

Planet Express Airways
Member of the FT Alliance
ID: 3446

Opinions expressed in my posts are suggestions to achieve maximum airline value and top rankings.
If you do not wish for either, then feel free to ignore.

pck

• Airline Supervisor
  • Apportez-moi partout!
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: May 21, 2009, 02:27:07 pm
I normally open bases when i feel like too, but of course, i would need money first, but never save up for a base. Thats my principle. Dunno why. I mean like, if you don't have the cash to make a new hub, that means you aren't fully utilising your home base.

I reckon that 250k airports are the best. Why? (not cause Kuala Lumpur International Airport, my fav airport, is in that category :P) If you go to 300k+ airports, you'll meet the sensitive nature of competition. If you go 200k-, the airports are a bit too small, but as pseudoswede said, super-cheap props are good for those airports.

ATE24

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: May 21, 2009, 03:06:08 pm

You're probably using jets and expensive planes. Super-cheap props (25-50 pax) are all you need on routes to 50k airports.
While I'm maintaining 5 250K bases in #506, I found that none of them are really good for me~

But, while others are using jets, if you don't do the same, you will lose in the competition. :(

Cheung Airlines

• Brokers
  • Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: May 21, 2009, 03:17:16 pm
Ive tried 250k airports twice. SZX and JNB. To be honest, SZX is quite good for it is close to HKG, yet 200 times  :lol:  less competition. I believe CAN could be better, but CAN, at that time, was crowded too. (like what LAX usually becomes at the later times of a world) Thats why I choose SZX. My Caravelle and 737-200Adv. could get a 1m DOC there, not bad at all, and there were only three airlines basing there.  ^-^

pseudoswede

• Airline Manager
  • Play to win, not imitate.
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: May 21, 2009, 04:16:00 pm
But, while others are using jets, if you don't do the same, you will lose in the competition. :(

Really? You were complaining about high maintenance costs when using jets to small, 50k airports. That should mean those competing airlines will suffer from increasing maintenance costs while you enjoy modest profits and very low maintenance costs.

Use planes that fit the route.

Even from EWR to 50k airports, there were geniuses that were using A320's and A321's. I experimented with all sorts of aircraft for those routes. In fact, the F100 provided the most profit, and it was almost half the price.

Planet Express Airways
Member of the FT Alliance
ID: 3446

Opinions expressed in my posts are suggestions to achieve maximum airline value and top rankings.
If you do not wish for either, then feel free to ignore.

Cheung Airlines

• Brokers
  • Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: May 21, 2009, 04:20:43 pm
As most of us know, the Caravelles/F-100 is the best planes for AM..... ^-^

ATE24

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: May 21, 2009, 04:23:54 pm
As most of us know, the Caravelles/F-100 is the best planes for AM..... ^-^
Be more specific, the Cara Super 10B :lol

XeniaAirways

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: June 18, 2009, 08:12:07 am
I start a new base as soon as most of the profitable routes (usually about 150 flights, varying by airport and region) are gone.  After I max out my hubs, I go back and fly the less profitable regional routes, albeit with smaller aircraft. :D  I always operate a mix of aircraft just to right-size each market.
Xenia Air Holdings Ltd.

Current worlds:
None.

Past worlds:
Xenia Airways - W9 and W10
Zenith Airlines - PW133
AsiaExpress - PW465
silversky - PW705

ID#14564.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk