Airline Mogul Forum

Another rant: Clueless price-matchers

pseudoswede

• Airline Manager
  • Play to win, not imitate.
    • View Profile
on: March 03, 2008, 11:36:06 pm
Hypothetical example...

You got yourself a BAe-146-100 and you're setting up a route from your 350k airport to a 300k airport. Oh noes! Someone is already on that route, and he's doing 3x @ €300 with a BAe-146-100! What a goofball! He should know it's a poor ROI to have more than 1-frequency on a route!

Q: What should you set your fare at?

A: NOT 1-frequency @ €300 or €299 or €299.99!  :x  :x  :x

99.9% of the time, you can charge higher since you aren't flying as many passengers to that airport!

I actually think it's people like these who help rapidly bring down fares between routes--even quicker than the multi-frequency people.

Do they seriously not even try to see if charging a higher fare (at 1-frequency) even works? Ugh.

Disclaimer: If you match frequency and fare, go for it. I won't complain about that (well, I have in the past, but oh well). It's part of the game, and I can live with it.

(Obviously, all bets are off when there are lots of competitors on the route doing all sorts of crazy things.)

Q: Same situation, but you don't have a BAe-146-100. You have a shiny new Fairchild FH-227D. What do you do?

A: See above.

[/rant]

Planet Express Airways
Member of the FT Alliance
ID: 3446

Opinions expressed in my posts are suggestions to achieve maximum airline value and top rankings.
If you do not wish for either, then feel free to ignore.

air1

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 11:42:06 pm
its just a video game

u mad?

pseudoswede

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 11:58:01 pm
Quote from: "air1"
its just a video game

u mad?

This is a video game?

Dang. All I have are still pictures. I guess I need to return it to the store.

In all seriousness, we will eventually (again) have threads on here with people complaining that the game is oversaturated, people charging €1 on routes, etc., etc., etc. I'm just pointing out some reasons why it gets to be that way so quickly.

Honestly, I don't care how people play this game. I'd just like to point out some tips to the novice players.

Plus, I was in a writing mood, so I decided to post a rant. That's all.

Planet Express Airways

Opinions expressed in my posts are suggestions to achieve maximum airline value and top rankings.

MusicAIR

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 12:03:02 am
Quote from: "pseudoswede"
its just a video game

u mad?

This is a video game?

Dang. All I have are still pictures. I guess I need to return it to the store.

No kidding.

This is a game, but this is a multiplayer game where the actions of others affect you.  If there is a player who doesn't educate themselves on proper yield management, then the work another player puts in to research & plan their routes is affected negatively.

The point of these posts is to give those kids some learnin' (as in, educate them on how to SUCCEED in the game, not do poorly and bring everyone else down with them).
img]http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/778/musicair2jo0.gif[/img]
[size=18]Our fares are crazier
than Britney Spears!
[/size]

MX - ID#9068
Proud partner airline in the FT Alliance.

air1

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 01:38:26 am
Quote from: "MusicAIR"

No kidding.

This is a game, but this is a multiplayer game where the actions of others affect you.  If there is a player who doesn't educate themselves on proper yield management, then the work another player puts in to research & plan their routes is affected negatively.

The point of these posts is to give those kids some learnin' (as in, educate them on how to SUCCEED in the game, not do poorly and bring everyone else down with them).

So do you all start whining when people do stupid things in real life or do you FTBSDO

Triple_7

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 01:59:29 am
Theres been a few of those people around my base.  Why anyone thinks that just because someones 3 frequency €300 is the only one on the route so that must be the price to charge I have no clue.  In the beginning, had a $250 4 frequency guy on a route I wanted to open, same aircraft at 1 frequency I was able to charge more like €550 and have a 100% load.  Still...if he was only running 1 frequency the price could have easily topped a €1000+ but thats another thread :?

To add to the rants....people who pointlessly drop prices not by €10-€50, but more like €200-€300 a pop.  If you (Airline A) and only one competitor (Airline B) are on the route, using the same aircraft and same frequency, then why drop it so much...its stupidity  :x  Its been happening to several routes a day, theres no sense in dropping the price €300 just because your upset you have someone else on the route.  Even the eventual €1 idiots...how much competition do you actually drive out by doing this?...generally none...eventually everyone drops to those pathetic levels, people quit the game leaving accounts open, and then theres no way to jack it back up to where it should be.  It may be a strategy...but generally its a pointless and useless strategy, all you and everyone else will eventually do is loose money in a game where its all about making the biggest profits :roll: As for dropping €250+ off a route with only you and one other person, what are you trying to do here, help set a record as to how fast this game gets drove into a virtual gridlock like the past rounds.  If anything work with that person and drive the price as high as it can go :wink:
ast Real Flight...Taiwan 2006...July 30th Through August 19th...FWA-DFW-LAX-TPE.....TPE-LAX-ORD-FWA.

pseudoswede

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 03:56:16 am
Quote from: "Triple_7"

To add to the rants....people who pointlessly drop prices not by €10-€50, but more like €200-€300 a pop.  If you (Airline A) and only one competitor (Airline B) are on the route, using the same aircraft and same frequency, then why drop it so much...its stupidity  :x

I do it because I'm sick of people who drop their fares by €0.01 or €1. Grow a sack and drop the fare €5-20 every time. I've been fortunate to have "worked" with competitors who also understood that.

Planet Express Airways

pseudoswede

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 04:17:22 am

So do you all start whining when people do stupid things in real life or do you FTBSDO

Let's put it this way. You are playing tennis with a friend. You hit the ball over the net to him, he then whacks it as hard as he can over the fence. You hit another ball, same thing. Repeat until you've run out of tennis balls.

You aren't going to tell him to try to keep it in the court?

Planet Express Airways

air1

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 04:19:49 am

Let's put it this way. You are playing tennis with a friend. You hit the ball over the net to him, he then whacks it as hard as he can over the fence. You hit another ball, same thing. Repeat until you've run out of tennis balls.

Then you find someone else to play tennis with

pseudoswede

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 04:26:37 am

Then you find someone else to play tennis with

So you have no desire to make him a better tennis player?

Planet Express Airways

travismb99

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: March 04, 2008, 04:30:23 am
And in a lot of cases in this game, "FTBSDO" would mean picking up a whole hub and moving it.

Not exactly the easiest or most desirable outcome.

I'd like to think that most of the players here want to have fun and make profits. If I can help them understand part of the game, and in doing so make the game more enjoyable for both of us, why not do it?
acific Southwest Airlines - W10 - Catch our smile - ICAO:PS/#8304

air1

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 04:33:24 am

So you have no desire to make him a better tennis player?

I'm worried about myself and no one else

It's called capitalism.. go look it up

SeaBlue Pacific Air

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: March 04, 2008, 04:37:58 am
I like dropping my fares by €50 to €70 below the competition.  In doing so, I avoid the €1 price wars.

travismb99

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: March 04, 2008, 05:19:30 am
It's called capitalism.. go look it up

It's called a few billion bits of data stored on a hard drive and flashed across the Intertubes.

This is an Internet game which has as much to do with real-world capitalism as Das Kapital had to do with Stalinism.
acific Southwest Airlines - W10 - Catch our smile - ICAO:PS/#8304

Bobandirus

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: March 04, 2008, 06:58:45 am
Why drop routes by 300 ish euros though, as you have done? Like you said yourself, you can survive with 20 euros or so less, but 300???

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk