• View Profile
Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 01:27:45 pm
If i was u, ill choose Eva Air than China Airlines from experience

EXTspotter

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 02:40:58 pm
You forgot a few. This is from wikipedia:

Since 1970, the airline has averaged 3.21 fatal events per million flights [6], while the worldwide average is under 2.0 [7].

On 1970 August 12, Flight 206, a NAMC YS-11, struck a ridge while landing at Taipei, killing 14 people. This was the first fatal incident the airline had.

On 1971 November 20, Flight 825, a Caravelle airplane, blew up after a bomb in it exploded, causing the deaths of 25 people over the Penghu Islands.

On 1982 August 16, A Boeing 747 of China Airlines encountered severe turbulence. Of 292 passengers, two passengers died [8].

On 1983 August 21, Philippine Senator Benigno Aquino, Jr. while disembarking Flight 811 a normal flight from Taipei to Manila, was assassinated by several aviation security men on the tarmac of the Manila International Airport.

On 1985 February 19, Flight 006, a Boeing 747SP, went out of control, recovered, and made an emergency landing at San Francisco.

On 1986 February 16, Flight 2265, a Boeing 737, crashed in Makung, Penghu, with 13 killed.

On 1989 October 26, a China Airlines Boeing 737-209 crashed shortly after takeoff from Hualein, Taiwan. All 54 passengers and crew aboard were killed.

On 1991 December 29, Flight 358, a Boeing 747 freighter, hit a hillside at Wanli, Taiwan after separation of Nos.3 & 4 engines, killing five people.

On 1993 November 4, Flight 605, a brand new Boeing 747-400, overran the Kai Tak Airport runway 13 while landing during a typhoon. It touched down more than 2/3 down the runway and was unable to stop before the runway ran out, ending up in the water. All 396 people on board were safely evacuated.

On 1994 April 26, Flight 140, an Airbus A300 of the airline crashed at Nagoya, Japan, and 264 people died. This accident happened during landing.

On 1998 February 16, Flight 676, an Airbus A300, crashed during landing in Taipei, killing all 196 aboard and 9 on the ground, including the head of Taiwan Central Bank chief Hsu Yuan-Dong.

On 1999 August 22, Flight 642, a McDonnell Douglas MD-11, crashed while landing at Hong Kong airport during a typhoon. Three people were killed.

In 2002, Flight 11, an Airbus A340, departed Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport, Anchorage, Alaska at night from taxiway Kilo instead of runway 32. The 3 cockpit crew members, 12 cabin crew members, and 237 passengers, were not injured. The airplane was not damaged.

On 2002 May 25, Flight 611, a Boeing 747-200, broke up in midflight on the way to Hong Kong International Airport in Hong Kong from Chiang Kai-shek International Airport in Taiwan. All of the passengers (206 people) and crew (19 people) on board died.

On 2006 July 19, Flight 1682 traveling from Ho Chi Minh City to Taipei, had to make an emergency landing at Kaohsiung International Airport after a Vietnamese-American couple, who were reportedly drunk, attacked flight attendants. The husband broke the inner windowpane in the plane's cabin with his elbow. The noise caused a commotion on the plane, and two Taiwanese attendants who were fluent in Vietnamese tried to calm him down. However, he took a swing at one of the attendants. A male flight attendant was summoned to restrain the heavily built man, while the pilots asked for permission to make an emergency landing, claiming that the plane had been hijacked. The plane landed successfully without incident, and continued to Taipei.

On 2007 June 27, China Airlines Flight AE845 bound from Kaoshiung to Hong Kong experienced a 'flameout' in both engines. The plane landed safely after avionics restarted the engines automatically. Neither the captain in command nor the crew were fully aware of the flameout [9].

2007 August 20, China Airlines Flight 120, a Boeing 737-800 inbound from Taipei caught fire shortly after landing at Naha Airport in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. After stopping on the tarmac, the engine started smoking and burning, and later exploded causing the plane to catch fire.[10] A statement from the airline confirmed that all passengers and crew members were safely evacuated, and a ground engineer knocked off his feet by the blast was unhurt.[11] The cause of the explosion has been attributed to a fuel leak caused by a bolt from the right wing slat puncturing the fuel tank.[12]

On October 5, 2007, a Boeing 737-800 overran a runway at Saga Airport, Japan. The aircraft, registered B-16805, had a 77 cm crack on the fuselage and was undergoing repairs. The airplane returned to Saga Airport due to speed indicator problems and due to impending bad weather in Taipei due to a typhoon. No passengers were on the flight. [13]

On December 8, 2007, a door on Flight 008 to Los Angeles suddenly snapped open while climbing through 1000 feet, prompting a return to Taipei. The matter was not reported on until December 20, 2007. [14] An investigation of the matter found that the door was not closed properly by catering staff.

The saftey record beggars belief. I am even suprised that their rights to fly have not been revoked or the EU haven't banned them, like many other airlines. Surely 11 Hull-loss incidents in the lifetime of a smallish airline is too many. If compared to the largest airline by fleet in the world, AA, if AA planes were lost in incidents as often as CA's, over the same period, there would have been 107 hull losses by AA alone. In turth, there has only been 8 on AA over the same time period, of the 11 CA crashes, one was due to a bomb/hijack, of AA's 8, it accounted for 3.

Alex
ho said aviation sites were sexist?

Seattle

• Airline Senior Manager
  • Hello! Send me a PM!
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 03:28:28 pm
thats a bit scarrey.... They've never had problems in Seattle though..... (probably becuase they use the catering staff from SEattle, who shut doors properly :P )

Its also kinda funny how Eva has never had a crash, let alone and "incident"..... I guess China Airlines is unlucky or they have really poorly trained staff.
British Pan Airways (BPA)

Serving London Heathrow to You and the Rest of the World!

Fly with our lie-flat beds in first and business class on all longhaul planes!

~BPA, Relax, Enjoy, Fly.

iranair777

• Brokers
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 03:35:47 pm
what communism does  :roll:

jackie chan wannabes are in the videos :P

I'm not scared of the airline, just scared of the jackie chans :lol:

pck

• Airline Supervisor
  • Apportez-moi partout!
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 03:41:28 pm
Quote from: "iranair777"

JC is in People's Republic of China, not *Taiwan, Province of China*. China Airline's is *Taiwan's leading carrier*

*Edited by dktc: we have to politically correct*

jameswyhk

• Airline Supervisor
  • So inactive...
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 04:05:47 pm
Quote from: "iranair777"

*Taiwan is not under complete control of the communist party*

I am extremely angry of what you are talking about. *Taiwan, Province of China attempts to* go for Three People's Principal. We *claim we* have democracy while in Red China people 'enjoy' the *so-called* dictatorship of CCP. We elect our *leader* while Red China doesn't. (*PRC does as well... just not all citizens get the chance to... but then, they don't have fist fights in their legislative council, unlike Taiwan :roll: *) Our *former* national anthem was elected the best national anthem in 1936 Olympic Games. Our *provincal* flag is elegant while the flag of Red China is ugly! (*Both are not pretty in my opinion... but flags seldom are anyway~*) I am going ape now!

*edited by dktc: we have to politcially correct... and that flag is waaaaaaay to large, and thus deleted*

------

pck

• Airline Supervisor
  • Apportez-moi partout!
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 04:10:10 pm
I agree too. I'm nationalist chinese not communists (all the nationalists moved to Taiwan, Malaysia, Singapore, etc...), and taiwan is the real China.

*Quote deleted by dktc: I am too lazy to make the changes twice*
*Comment by dktc: Taiwan is a part of China... and China town in San Franciso is the real China :lol: *

Seattle

• Airline Senior Manager
  • Hello! Send me a PM!
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 04:11:18 pm
confused.... Taiwain = china?

china = not china :?

~BPA, Relax, Enjoy, Fly.

pck

• Airline Supervisor
  • Apportez-moi partout!
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: February 23, 2008, 04:12:49 pm
Current China = Communists
Dynasty China = Nationalists (their now all over the world)

jameswyhk

• Airline Supervisor
  • So inactive...
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: February 23, 2008, 04:15:14 pm
Quote from: "Seattle"
confused.... Taiwain = china?

china = not china :?

*There's only one China in the world, and that's the People's Republic of China!*

*edited by dktc: I have had enough of this bullsh!t of trying to split China up and overthrow the ruling party. This is not about your personal opinion, or mine. The ruling has been made in the international community.*

------

Seattle

• Airline Senior Manager
  • Hello! Send me a PM!
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: February 23, 2008, 04:17:11 pm
??????????

So is "taiwan" part of the Republic of China?

What is the "People's Republic of China"? :?

*There is no such thing as Republic of China. That regime is no longer recognized.*

~BPA, Relax, Enjoy, Fly.

pck

• Airline Supervisor
  • Apportez-moi partout!
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: February 23, 2008, 04:18:31 pm
??????????

THe current Communist CHina, the china u noe (Shanghai, Beijing, etc...)

but the international chinese are mainly nationalist chinese (like me :D )

EDIT: PRC is the current "China"
No, Taiwan is *a province of PRC*, PRC is current China

*edited by dktc: so called nationlist = people who want to see China being split up and seperate into more countries, just because they think democracy is the only way to live and communist is evil.*

jameswyhk

• Airline Supervisor
  • So inactive...
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: February 23, 2008, 04:21:22 pm
Quote from: "pck"
??????????

THe current Communist CHina, the china u noe (Shanghai, Beijing, etc...)

but the international chinese are mainly nationalist chinese (like me :D )

I am considered as a rightist by my classmates.

*edited by dktc: and you are considered as being on the "Getting ban" list by me*

------

pck

• Airline Supervisor
  • Apportez-moi partout!
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: February 23, 2008, 04:23:40 pm
???

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk