Airline Mogul Forum

x1 747 or x2 DC-8's

Air2000

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #45 on: January 26, 2008, 11:23:50 pm
Ive got a nasty feeling this is going to happen with my new L1011 which is due 2moro

it is scheduled to fly:

MAN-ATL (.5)
MAN-ORD(.5)

I got 2 more DC8's on order, one is to replace my DC-7A, the other is to be based at MAN to serve the rest of my north american routes. If the L1011 does have poor operating performance, Ill sell or lease the beast out, and but more DC8's.
img]http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/dippidydanny/iberia2_h1.jpg[/img]
Iberia
You can find us in Round 3!
Bases: Palma (PMI) Malaga (APG) Madrid (MAD)

EXTspotter

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #46 on: January 26, 2008, 11:47:56 pm
Honestly, as someone who had Uber-hubs before, large aircraft for longhaul are a waste of time and money.

The biggest aircraft which are viable on longhaul are in the 250-300 seat range. More than this is overkill. During the last stint from 1979-1995, I had 10 742s in total in my fleet of over 4000 aircraft. In my longhaul fleet, I had about 500 733ERs and 735ERs for routes from western Europe - eastern North America and Africa and eastern Europe - Africa, Middle East and India , which were supported by 20 752s and 150 A320s. I also had over 200 763ERs for pretty much the rest of the world. To repeat 747s are a waste of money. DC8s, DC10s and L1011s are really the largest planes you should buy in any real numbers.
ho said aviation sites were sexist?

Air2000

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #47 on: January 27, 2008, 03:30:21 pm
Quote from: "Air2000"
Ive got a nasty feeling this is going to happen with my new L1011 which is due 2moro

it is scheduled to fly:

MAN-ATL (.5)
MAN-ORD(.5)

I got 2 more DC8's on order, one is to replace my DC-7A, the other is to be based at MAN to serve the rest of my north american routes. If the L1011 does have poor operating performance, Ill sell or lease the beast out, and but more DC8's.

well moment of truth is here. L1011 for ME(this is my opinion on the performance not fact before u forum ganets start to attack me).... has slightly overkilled MAN-ATL and MAN-ORD on .5 frequencies but is making a nice £500.000 proffit per day.... but i doubt ill be purchasing the L1011 again, ill stick with my growing fleet of DC8's
img]http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/dippidydanny/iberia2_h1.jpg[/img]
Iberia
You can find us in Round 3!
Bases: Palma (PMI) Malaga (APG) Madrid (MAD)

eeikel

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #48 on: January 30, 2008, 08:31:01 pm
This is something i dont understand in this game,
if i buy a canadair with 32 seats it makes half the DOP as a 747 wich costs more then 10times as much.  :roll:
This how the big ones get so big quick just fill all local routes with fokkers and the DOP flies up.

I hope the programmers find a solution to chang the logic and tackle this problem.

LOT 737-300

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #49 on: January 30, 2008, 08:45:27 pm
Quote from: "eeikel"
This is something i dont understand in this game,
if i buy a canadair with 32 seats it makes half the DOP as a 747 wich costs more then 10times as much.  :roll:
This how the big ones get so big quick just fill all local routes with fokkers and the DOP flies up.

I hope the programmers find a solution to chang the logic and tackle this problem.

Actually, it makes a lot of sense, supply and demand, since you are flying a larger aircraft, you will have to charge less to fill it up, plus, factor in fuel burn, turn time, other such costs, it will affect things a bit. But one thing I think that can make a 747 (and most widebodies actually) to be more feasable to operate is to eventually integrate cargo into the game, which I recall is in the plans, but not until reliable cargo data can be found for most if not all of the airports.

eeikel

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #50 on: January 31, 2008, 01:34:47 pm
On low demand routes and short routes it does make sense but on long routes like flying from europe to south america with no competetors between airports with more then 10mil passengers you can not fly a 747 profitable your even going to loose alot of money on those long routes.

CP Air

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #51 on: January 31, 2008, 07:08:48 pm
I would recommend against it.  After receiving my first 742(with another on its way... unfortunately) it isn't that great of an aircraft.  The range is the only reason im keeping it, because there are a few planned routes from my hubs that only it can fly.  If you want capacity i would recommend DC-10 or DC-8 and if you want range the best I'd have to say is definitely the Il-62

zkvac

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
    • granturismoworld.piczo.com
Reply #52 on: February 01, 2008, 03:27:14 am
How many does a 747Sp seat? They'll probably be my longhaul aircraft of choice.
Public World #2119 - VincentAir (Australasia)

LOT 737-300

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #53 on: February 01, 2008, 04:41:39 am
Quote from: "eeikel"
On low demand routes and short routes it does make sense but on long routes like flying from europe to south america with no competetors between airports with more then 10mil passengers you can not fly a 747 profitable your even going to loose alot of money on those long routes.

I don't know, I hear the thing has trouble operating between mega-airports (more than 30 mil) as it is already. Really, the 747 had the same effect on many airlines in the 1970s. The high engergy costs and high operating costs made it inpractical in most airlines fleets, especially in the US. As I said before, if cargo was implemented, this would be a whole lot more profitable of a plane than it is now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk