Airline Mogul Forum

Concerning €1 Routes

nwadeltaboy

• Airline Senior Manager
  • AM's official Spammer. Check my post counts.
    • View Profile
Reply #60 on: January 15, 2008, 01:02:10 pm
Define stupid. :|

pocketbookbrando

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #61 on: January 15, 2008, 01:09:03 pm
Oh that was you.  What I meant by stupid is that you can be a terrible player in the game and you still won't go bankrupt.  On many routes, you can have a price of $5 per route and you still make a few bucks.  It's essentially pretty much impossible to lose in the game because of your play.  That's why it is quasi-competitive.  It's not a matter of if you can make money or not, but more a matter of how much more money you can make.  I'm sure most airline execs wish they were in an industry like this.  Their industry is hardly quasi-competitive.  It's quite cut throat.

Pacific

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #62 on: January 15, 2008, 01:12:49 pm
At €5 per route, gate expenses will kill ya. 8)  Although I do indeed agree the break-even price is too low in AM.

nwadeltaboy

• Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #63 on: January 15, 2008, 01:13:09 pm
Quote from: "pocketbookbrando"
Oh that was you.  What I meant by stupid is that you can be a terrible player in the game and you still won't go bankrupt.  On many routes, you can have a price of $5 per route and you still make a few bucks.  It's essentially pretty much impossible to lose in the game because of your play.  That's why it is quasi-competitive.  It's not a matter of if you can make money or not, but more a matter of how much more money you can make.  I'm sure most airline execs wish they were in an industry like this.  Their industry is hardly quasi-competitive.  It's quite cut throat.

welcome to the world of business my friend. :P

all this complaining, most of which is just whining that other players have better business tactics then them. :roll:

waerth

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #64 on: January 15, 2008, 03:26:38 pm
Quote from: "nwaboy"

ill still be playing, btw, no matter what people like those two do.

Like Pacific said, this is a competitive game.  If you don't like competitiveness, LEAVE!!

Welcome to the airline industry.  :D

I am sorry but that is a very bad attitude. I like competitiveness, I do not like people ruining a game. Ruining a game because you can has nothing to do with competitiveness. It is more like bullying.

And if this game resembles the aircraft industry ....... it doesn't come close. All this game is about is about who can create routes fastest and who can plonk planes on them fastest.

But I will take your advice and leave. I will be selling all of my planes shortly, keep a watch on the aircraft market.

Waerth

waerth

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #65 on: January 15, 2008, 03:38:18 pm

welcome to the world of business my friend. :P

all this complaining, most of which is just whining that other players have better business tactics then them. :roll:

Which world of business? I own a business in the real world. And believe me if you only needed the skillset of whomever hits the keyboard fastest I would be very very rich. What business tactics are involved here? The only thing that is involved here are who can set their prices lowest. Where is the tactics in that?

I roleplayed. Deciding not to do what was best for my airline in a number of cases to stay true to the way I play. And I still became 12th in Asia and 78th in the world at my peak. Shows you not really need a strategy.

I actually like this game. I feel Stephen and Air Elbonia and the other programmers do great work. I will keep on providing data to them and I will provide suggestions. But I have had it with people making remarks like: "if you don't like it leave it" That shows a lot of attitude and that way the game will empty. I have quit. I am scraping my fleet right now. I might come back in a next round when there might be changes that have made the game competitive.

Waerth

Pacific

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #66 on: January 15, 2008, 03:50:11 pm
Nooooo, all these n00bs and idiots coming and ruining routes with 737s.  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  Omg, seat dumpers, price crashers you guys s*ck and have no lives. :cry:  :cry:  :cry: Why put a 737 on a route where the price is already €200, making it €150? :cry:  :cry:  :cry: You're destroying the game, you're ruining it for others like me!!! :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

/end sarcasm.

waerth

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #67 on: January 15, 2008, 03:54:24 pm
Quote from: "Pacific"
Nooooo, all these n00bs and idiots coming and ruining routes with 737s.  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  Omg, seat dumpers, price crashers you guys s*ck and have no lives. :cry:  :cry:  :cry: Why put a 737 on a route where the price is already €200, making it €150? :cry:  :cry:  :cry: You're destroying the game, you're ruining it for others like me!!! :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

/end sarcasm.

Well I was wiping the floor with them, all of my competitors, noob or not. But this attitude that you guys have will ruin this game. If you cannot take one grain of criticism and must ridicule people constantly .... you will chase away good willing people.

Waerth

Pacific

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #68 on: January 15, 2008, 03:57:41 pm
My little whine was directed at people in general who whine about my invasion of bases.  Takes about an hour to eat 25 gates, seriously.  MMOGs on the whole are competitive games and you simply can't take away that element.

waerth

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #69 on: January 15, 2008, 04:40:20 pm
There are different kinds of competitive. You just invest a lot of time and drop prices. That is no competition in my eyes.

A competition is where people's intelligence and wits are challenged.

This game has everything set up to become a truly great game. But the way it is at this moment and the attitude by people to chase away people with points of criticism by calling them whiners ......... pleazzzzeeeeeeeeee.

Waerth

nwadeltaboy

• Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #70 on: January 15, 2008, 09:34:49 pm
I dont call it whining on the first post, but I do after the tenth (especially after 9 were locked) :roll:

here's an idea for all of you: use their tactics against them.  Lower your fares to $1 on the same routes they do.  You might suffer a bit, but don't forget that they will suffer too, and according to AEB, part of the script says that newer airlines on a route seem to get better business :wink:

trust the script.  if you do it right, you victims of the $1 routes will prevail over your competitors and you could stay in the game. :D

Triple_7

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #71 on: January 15, 2008, 09:48:36 pm
Get my 2 cents in I suppose :roll:

Last round I ended up quiting simply because there seemed to be no point to it after awhile...to many routes to keep control of and not enough time in the day.  As with this round its going the same way...all you do is add routes and start the daily price drops to keep up.  Only reason I like this round better is because its with aircraft I actually know something about.

As already mentioned probably more then once this game is just a matter of who has the lowest price...not really competitive.  Seems like those who fly to the top in the beginning stay there and the rest grow at their own slower rate.  I've been trying to grow but after the first 3 days into this round I slipped to the 24-26th range of ranking in Asia and have stayed there since regardless of how many new routes I open or how much my DOP grows...everyone around me is growing at about the same speed.  Theres no competition...seems like at some point you hit a spot in the ranks and hang there.  It gets quite boring just editing routes every day.  €1 can mean the difference between a 25% load and a 100% load.  Theres no in between.  Once you get several hundred routes going who really has time to keep up editing to keep a profit.  It would be a 24 hour job...I've set a price to a 100% load and not 2 seconds later that same route was back to 30% because of €1 :x

It drives some people away the way its set up.  There really needs to be some improvements.  Needs to have something like airline reputation, passenger to hub ratio....say you start out at a small 600K passenger airport as a base and make it your main hub, if you have 200 different destinations served then the passengers handled would climb due to connecting flights from that hub.  With this implemented its possible to limit the number of airlines that can base themselves at an airport.  Right now its unlimited till the gates run out...50 airlines could base themselves at say LHR.  Real life this could never happen.  Bring in options to grow an airport...implement cargo, build a cargo terminal, etc....not only buy gates but runway slots as well....so build new runway options.  

Theres a ton of things that could make this game more realistic and put some fun into it for a change.  Why waist time editing 100 routes because someone dropped the price a couple bucks....then repeat an hour later...this whole time not really gaining anything.  At least airline reputation would have a lot of impact on things.  Relying on your own setup with aircraft configurations, build a private terminal for your airline, alliance connections....all builds into your reputation letting you set your prices to that level but yet have to compete with the other airlines.  Better reputation the more passengers you get and the more profit you make....bad reputation, have fun going bankrupt.  

Its just little things that could be worked in eventually or at least make a world like that.  Many people I knew left last round and never returned...if the game had more of a REAL competitive factor to it people might just hang around and enjoy....not continuously b*tch and moan because of the current over saturated mess its in now.  When the only factor is the ticket price thats just gets boring...also...people at the biggest airports can set the highest prices at the start of a route...in most real cases it costs more to start a trip at a small airport then a large one, not as many connection options and generally small aircraft limiting available seats.

Theres more to that idea but I just got called into work so have to cut it here :cry:
ast Real Flight...Taiwan 2006...July 30th Through August 19th...FWA-DFW-LAX-TPE.....TPE-LAX-ORD-FWA.

nwadeltaboy

• Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #72 on: January 16, 2008, 12:34:08 am
*slaps self in face*

no no no Waerth, dont be offended, i was talking about the others who consistently argued with me! e.g.  pocketbookbrando  Stay! :(

bad_kelpie

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #73 on: January 16, 2008, 02:43:06 am
Quote from: "waerth"

ill still be playing, btw, no matter what people like those two do.

Like Pacific said, this is a competitive game.  If you don't like competitiveness, LEAVE!!

Welcome to the airline industry.  :D

I am sorry but that is a very bad attitude. I like competitiveness, I do not like people ruining a game. Ruining a game because you can has nothing to do with competitiveness. It is more like bullying.

And if this game resembles the aircraft industry ....... it doesn't come close. All this game is about is about who can create routes fastest and who can plonk planes on them fastest.

But I will take your advice and leave. I will be selling all of my planes shortly, keep a watch on the aircraft market.

Waerth

I think the most healthy thing you could do for the game is perhaps slide the planes into some bully's markets, peg the fare at 1Euro, and then leave (Ill be right behind you).  Perhaps this will bring some glimmer to them of the realities.

As for the rest who say whiners/complainers do not know the airline industry....Ive been in it for 20 Years.

blue25

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #74 on: January 16, 2008, 03:04:18 am
Define stupid. :|

Your mom :lol:
Alto Airlines [ID: 2167]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk