Airline Mogul Forum

Spotting at your local airport?

Hampo · 22 · 4222

gizgiz

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: January 03, 2008, 07:49:02 am
It's nearly impossible to spot in HK. You'd either get arrested for parking on an access road, or for stepping over the faint, paint-weary red line which states what is HK and what is "international airspace".

BUT...

I know Scenic Hill's a great place to spot. I've never been up there, but many a.net photos are from Scenic Hill.
[20:28] <Jps> your still a w****r with your new sig
[20:36] <gizgiz> you know what? this channel is hopeless
[20:36] *** gizgiz was kicked from #AirlineMogul by Jps [Just get lost.]

CornField

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: January 03, 2008, 10:50:31 pm
Quote from: "sla31"
I was run off at Kansas City International Airport.  :cry: they told me if I didn't leave I would be arrested.

I got some decent pics from one of the parking garages(sorry I don't remember which ones) and over by the rental car return lots out in the boonies......

Your  Favorite Hometown Airline

nwadeltaboy

• Airline Senior Manager
  • AM's official Spammer. Check my post counts.
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: January 05, 2008, 04:07:53 am
here at MSP we get dumped with NWA DC-9's.  my house is right in the path of the new 17-35 runway. :D

CornField

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: January 05, 2008, 12:40:23 pm
Quote from: "nwaboy"
here at MSP we get dumped with NWA DC-9's.  my house is right in the path of the new 17-35 runway. :D

Some of us don't think that's all bad..... :wink:

Your  Favorite Hometown Airline

Pacific

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: January 05, 2008, 01:38:58 pm
Quote from: "gizgiz"
It's nearly impossible to spot in HK. You'd either get arrested for parking on an access road, or for stepping over the faint, paint-weary red line which states what is HK and what is "international airspace".

BUT...

I know Scenic Hill's a great place to spot. I've never been up there, but many a.net photos are from Scenic Hill.

Bollocks.

For everything you need about Hong Kong Spotting:
http://www.hkplanes.com/newguide/

It's a dumb idea to drive a car because of the lack of parking in most locations.  However, every spot is accecible by good, frequent public transport (except Sha Lo Wan).

Hong Kong Police in general are a polite and competant bunch.  Some officers even approach the spotters and engage in conversation about aircraft!

The only time I was "stopped" was when I was spotting with 2 other guys one day when we got surrounded by 5 vans and 14 officers, some with machine guns! :shock:   However, they checked our IDs and we left our addresses since we knew we weren't doing anything wrong and were standing on the other side of the road regarding airport fences.  We later knew why this happened because a US Air Force Boeing 757 took off some time after the cops were gone, and we were allowed to continue spotting.  Handled in a very polite and professional manner - go Hong Kong Police!

Some weeks later, my friends were in the terminal for a lunch break and ran into the nice polite cop who did most of the talking.  It was all friendly and they exchanged greetings with each other.

As for aircraft, lots of A32x from China Eastern and Dragonair.  Plenty of widebodies as well, especially A330s with Cathay being the largest operator in the world.  Good number of 747s including the 747-100 which makes a ruckus!  You can spot pretty much every type of widebody without too much waiting in Hong Kong.

zkvac

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
    • granturismoworld.piczo.com
Reply #20 on: January 05, 2008, 10:36:22 pm
Wellington NZWN is great because of the hills surrounding the airport. These photos aren't mine because I have a crap camera :D Pretty boring traffic, mainly Air New Zealand 1900D's/Q300's/ATR72-500's/737-300's but we have Qantas with 733/734's and now Pacific Blue with 737-800's. Also Wellington is NZ's capital so we get a few government aircraft. We had a Polish Tu-154 not long ago, that was incredible.

EDIT: How do i get photos to show in this post?

Tu-154:

Others:

Wow, I haven't seen this pic before but my dad flew 731's for Ansett..

It's supposed to be the San Francisco of the South Pacific or something..
Public World #2119 - VincentAir (Australasia)

DarthRobby

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: January 05, 2008, 10:39:52 pm
I go spotting at Austin, but the "official" viewing area is very far away from the runway, and while it is unobstructed, that runway is for "general Aviation" so one day i saw a learjet, a small learjet looking plane, and a 737 from continental only because the other runway was being used

the only other place to spot without a 7million mm lens is a graveyard

under the runway
as in___________________________________
```````````````````````````````````````\
````````````````````````````````````````\
`````````````````````````````````````````\
````````````````````````````````````````` \______graveyard__________
img]http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj103/suncountrynwa/undeadair.jpg[/img]
Undead Air

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk