Airline Mogul Forum

What the heck with the 0.5 flights ?!

Dutch Airways

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
on: December 01, 2007, 01:23:11 pm
Can somebody give me some information what is that about the 0.5 flight. I know it stands for how much the flight is scheduled each day and in intercontinental routes I can accept that there is no other way to schedule 0.5. But I am getting a little bit tiered, all players who use this tactic and swallow up an entire gate just for a 0.5 flight!

Shoudn't the system 'reward' you when you schedule a flight more often, so the lack of gates (really pissing me off) would be reduced.

Even though; take a look at this; As far as I am concerned a flight that takes of, also need to return. But somehow the return flight doesn't effect your cost and it is just taken for granded! Can somebody please explain if I am wrong :P ?

dktc

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 01:26:49 pm
-sigh-

First, please post in the relevant forum. Not every posts are suggestions, you know? :wink:

The 0.5 are one way flights. Simply an aircraft go from AAA-BBB one day, from BBB-AAA the next.
D Express (id 616) 8)
AM Membership Officer / Official Broker

Dutch Airways

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 01:36:10 pm
And I still don't like people scheduling 0.5 flights  :roll:... for just one gate.

(the suggestion was the reward system :P)

dktc

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 01:42:54 pm
Quote from: "Dutch Airways"
And I still don't like people scheduling 0.5 flights  :roll:... for just one gate.

(the suggestion was the reward system :P)

"Don't like" is objective :wink:
I don't like a lot of players, which does not give me the right to delete them all, unless they violate some rules :P .

Currently, you are being rewarded for flying 1 over 0.5, technically speaking. However, it is a reality that the more seats you provide, with demand unchanged, quantity would increase and price would decrease. Simple economic model, which we can't disregard.
D Express (id 616) 8)
AM Membership Officer / Official Broker

Fox Airways

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 06:02:11 am
sometimes the plane can only be there as far as scheduling goes for a .5, i have several and thats because of longer flights earlier in the day, rather than leaving it idle for a day i'll find a route that can support it. Makes a little cash for me, it does take a slot up at the hub, which can be an issue on some of my routes, but anyway...

LOT 737-300

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 07:36:14 am
I'm not too bothered with .5s in their own sense. Like if you make a small loop of .5s or a "line" of .5s (such as a RTW network), or if they make it so, then a 2 .5s per plane (unless they can pull off something else.)

I think the problem is when someone makes a network of .5s, like 1 DC-3 would be operating 10 .5s to different cities within a short distance from one base. I mean, now .5s can't do much on those shorter routes, depending on where you are of course. It does get annoying when someone attains a R6V or a SUD and just plunks a bunch of of them on that type of network that I just described. But many have grown tired of it, and something will be done about it in the future to make the game better for that.

pocketbookbrando

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 07:50:10 pm
"I don't like a lot of players, which does not give me the right to delete them all, unless they violate some rules Razz . "

Finally an honest moderator.  

[Edit: Daniel Doorgakant - Watch your mouth]

To the point though, it seems like how you use your gates is a big part of the strategy.  They are a big monthly cost after all and not using them wisely means that you will be at a disadvantage overall.  If you hate people using .5's and you think it is wasteful, then their business is being wasteful and it is to your competitive advantage...or so I would think.

Pacific

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 08:03:45 pm
Except the opportunity cost of flying 1x rather than 0.5x outweighs the extra cost in gates.

iranair777

• Brokers
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007, 09:33:29 pm
If the admin and me had a pound for whenever someone comes up with something to do with 0.5 flights, we'll be richer than roman ambrovich

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk