Airline Mogul Forum

Why did you guy want to start in the 1950s?

jameswyhk

• Airline Supervisor
  • So inactive...
    • View Profile
on: November 14, 2007, 12:28:18 pm
Why did you guy want to start in the 1950s? I don't think starting in the 50s is a good idea because those props sucks. Props can't fly from Far East to Western Europe, they are too small and too slow. Who voted 1950s?

------

Jps

• Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 12:54:24 pm
Hell not me... i voted 1960.. but of course...the results were 38-20something..

ID: 5000 ~ Flying Beyond The Stars

jameswyhk

• Airline Supervisor
  • So inactive...
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 01:58:50 pm
Quote from: "Jps"

I know Orange was one of them. He said that props are *interesting*. :evil:

------

Jps

• Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 02:00:06 pm
they are "interesting"

nofrills

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 02:01:45 pm
L-1049 Super Constellation and R6Vs are hardly small planes.  1950s definitely has been fun for me, and informative.  I don't think I would've read as much about many aircraft in this era if it wasn't for AM and this round.

jameswyhk

• Airline Supervisor
  • So inactive...
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 02:27:27 pm
I don't like those props... :(

------

Jps

• Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: November 14, 2007, 02:34:03 pm
Learn to like them  :D

LOT 737-300

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: November 14, 2007, 02:42:33 pm
I like it, this is a evolutionary time in Aviation, plus you get to learn about many planes that you never thought even existed. The planes are not that bad in my opinion. Only thing is range, other than that, this round is great, it just takes time getting used to and having to think in 1950s terms rather than 2000s terms in what is a good plane.

bryandaja

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007, 04:10:19 pm
Quote from: "jameswyhk"
Why did you guy want to start in the 1950s? I don't think starting in the 50s is a good idea because those props sucks. Props can't fly from Far East to Western Europe, they are too small and too slow. Who voted 1950s?

I dig the fifties. I had no idea there were so many cool planes then.

Blue Sky Mine

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007, 05:36:01 pm

I voted for the '50s as well. I also thought that the props would be *interesting*. I must say I was wrong- as soon as the players realised that they were flying DC3s now instead of 737s, they wrecked the game with multiple freqs taking all the gates and making all routes low profit :cry:
EO Blue Sky Mine (XAI), ID 2041

Mein Maserati fährt 210,
Schwupp, die Polizei hat´s nicht geseh´n,
das macht Spaß!
Ich geb Gas, ich geb Gas

LOT 737-300

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 05:46:15 pm
Quote from: "Blue Sky Mine"

I voted for the '50s as well. I also thought that the props would be *interesting*. I must say I was wrong- as soon as the players realised that they were flying DC3s now instead of 737s, they wrecked the game with multiple freqs taking all the gates and making all routes low profit :cry:

I think part of that is also related to the fact that most airlines converted very recently from the "blue and white" game, where maxing out your plane's frequency will make you the most profit on a route, where here, you'll feel the best effects from 1x or 2x freqs. Like I mentioned earlier, people should be thinking more in terms of 50s numbers than modern numbers. We'll see the great jet engined equalizer (707-020, not expecting more than 120 seats, but still) come in soon though. Part of it is also market location. Larger cities will often be the choices of New folks to the game. So they will often do such put many freqs on one city rather than spreading it out evenly.

Pacific

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: November 14, 2007, 06:04:23 pm
I personally found the 50s to be a refreshing change from the modern era.  In my opinion, AM should alternate from "Modern" and "Old" for change.  The next round could be done in the 80s instead of the 60s.

The current "over-saturation" won't change whatever the era.  Except people are now doing it with R6Vs instead of 777-300ERs.  Cut-throat competition is part of the game and reality, and it's one's choice whether to stay or quit.  I picked the latter due to piling University work.

ALFC

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: November 14, 2007, 06:08:13 pm
Quote from: "LOT 737-300"

I think part of that is also related to the fact that most airlines converted very recently from the "blue and white" game, where maxing out your plane's frequency will make you the most profit on a route, where here, you'll feel the best effects from 1x or 2x freqs.

its a growth issue, here people are soon going to put multiple planes with max frequency on single routes.

We'll see the great jet engined equalizer (707-020, not expecting more than 120 seats, but still) come in soon though.

how will that affect anything? i fail to figure how jets will change anything, apart from increasing capacity for routes that are now 2x0.5 restricted, that is if they will be given more than 4000nm range, which i doubt.

Larger cities will often be the choices of New folks to the game. So they will often do such put many freqs on one city rather than spreading it out evenly.

which is exactly what everyone in these cities is doing anyway, with the difference of being able to afford it
LFC - Melmac Spacelines

AirHanoverInternational

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: November 14, 2007, 06:24:11 pm
Quote from: "ALFC"

Larger cities will often be the choices of New folks to the game. So they will often do such put many freqs on one city rather than spreading it out evenly.

which is exactly what everyone in these cities is doing anyway, with the difference of being able to afford it

Seems you are right. I just looked around the ranks above mine. Those that have their bases at major airports that have just around 60 gates. I have 164 gates! I pay around 23M EUR a month for gate rentals. But the routes to the smaller airports have almost no competition which avoids adjusting the prices for a higher load factor. All my routes to major airports have to be adjusted at least three or four times a real day.

DOP:
Hannover Hamburg 3k EUR
Hannover Dusseldorf 4k EUR
Hannover Amsterdam 9K EUR
Heraklion Mashhad 8k EUR
Madeira Fuerteventura 4k EUR

You may look up the destinations and their passenger volume to see how low these profits are  :cry:
an (AirHanoverInternational ID:5980)

NewYinzer

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: November 14, 2007, 11:02:47 pm
This is a great decade for aviation! Small, elegant props flying across the world taking days to link Tokyo and Seattle! Unless you count the 200+ PAX flying bananas (Which I like):

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk