Airline Mogul Forum

Price slashing...Is there really a point to it or...

Tomb

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #45 on: November 20, 2007, 11:36:49 am
thats sounding dangerously like real world econmics, steady on now old chap, this agrument also sound a like the de-regulation arguement.

now you know why the big boys sqauwked when the lo-cost airlines came along and spoilt thier fun

andylawrence

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #46 on: November 20, 2007, 12:39:40 pm
Now maybe its just me, but ive found on 3 occasions now, that once a route drops to 1€ and stays there for a bit, some airlines start to fall off.  Then I start arbitrarily raising the price up to 10 or 20€ and usually the other airlines follow.  Im going to keep doing this and see if we can get the prices on those routes back up to where we can all make some cash.  Just a matter of everybody working at it together, so far it seems to be working.
img]http://www.airlinemogul.com/airlinelogos/panambs.png[/img]
Airline ID 140

LOT 737-300

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #47 on: November 20, 2007, 01:06:09 pm
Quote from: "andylawrence"
Now maybe its just me, but ive found on 3 occasions now, that once a route drops to 1€ and stays there for a bit, some airlines start to fall off.  Then I start arbitrarily raising the price up to 10 or 20€ and usually the other airlines follow.  Im going to keep doing this and see if we can get the prices on those routes back up to where we can all make some cash.  Just a matter of everybody working at it together, so far it seems to be working.

It's like I said a few times in the past, it's all part of the route's life cycle, starts out big, then as more airlines come along, prices fall, then it goes to the closest level to 0. After that, a few airlines will drop out and prices can rise, even if that one airline is still at 1 Euro. I once had a route where 2 other airlines were on a route, one of them dropped to 20 Euro and the other airline and I could still charge some 260 Euro for it. After the other airline noticed it failed, he rose his prices and then we rose ours back to a higher level.

Sakamoto Airlines

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #48 on: November 21, 2007, 01:31:57 am
I find it ridiculous that some of the huge top ten airlines monolopize the game to no extent. There is one particular airline that, because he had enough money, decides to go out and run a Super Connie at maximum frequency at $1 for every flight. Meaning he has 1 Super Connie er flight at $1. He loses money sure,but he has enough to afford it. He is screwing around with everybody because he has all this money, something has to be done ASAP. We need tougher restrictions on how cheap we can go.
img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/megaxonic/sakamoto.jpg[/img]
Sakamoto Asiaways: The Flight Of The Rising Sun

Vamerica

• Airline Senior Manager
  • Welcome Aboard Virgin America
    • View Profile
Reply #49 on: November 21, 2007, 01:34:23 am
Air New Zealand(real life) did dollar fares for a period of time. It was a promotion.

andylawrence

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #50 on: November 21, 2007, 01:35:20 am
Quote from: "Sakamoto Airlines"
I find it ridiculous that some of the huge top ten airlines monolopize the game to no extent. There is one particular airline that, because he had enough money, decides to go out and run a Super Connie at maximum frequency at $1 for every flight. Meaning he has 1 Super Connie er flight at $1. He loses money sure,but he has enough to afford it. He is screwing around with everybody because he has all this money, something has to be done ASAP. We need tougher restrictions on how cheap we can go.

While I agree something needs done, restrictions on how cheap we can go isnt the answer.  Now the fact that a top ten airline did what you described is a bit extreme and probably needs looked at.  Its not a violation of the rules, but it does violate the spirit of the game.
Airline ID 140

pseudoswede

• Airline Manager
  • Play to win, not imitate.
    • View Profile
Reply #51 on: November 21, 2007, 02:16:05 am
decides to go out and run a Super Connie at maximum frequency at $1 for every flight.

55 out of 475 routes (quick count of anything above 4 frequencies) does not come close to "every flight". That means there are 380, and hundreds not even flown, routes that you can take advantage of. If said-airline were to do this on EVERY route, his DOP would plummet, and he doesn't want to do that. No airline would survive if they did nothing but €1 flights (even RyanAir knows that).

Planet Express Airways
Member of the FT Alliance
ID: 3446

Opinions expressed in my posts are suggestions to achieve maximum airline value and top rankings.
If you do not wish for either, then feel free to ignore.

andylawrence

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #52 on: November 21, 2007, 03:06:32 am
Quote from: "pseudoswede"
decides to go out and run a Super Connie at maximum frequency at $1 for every flight.

55 out of 475 routes (quick count of anything above 4 frequencies) does not come close to "every flight".

I should have researched before i commented.  In that case, I apologize;  the spirit of the game was not violated.
Airline ID 140

Dora

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #53 on: November 21, 2007, 02:57:32 pm
If the 'top-ten' airline includes JAL, I am eager to say something on it.
JAL has been small airline before. So I can understand what small airline think.
The situation is, in every base and focus cities of JAL, when JAL put 1 frequency on a route, some small airlines started to put 3 to 4 frequencies. And they lowered price 50 to 200 euro each time. In competiton with large and small airlines at the same time, what should 'top-ten' airline do? I think it is not appropriate to leave the market because of mercy, which should be violating the 'spirit' of the game for sure.
The world is overcorwded and everyone is not happy with it. Then we should leave the admins to solve the problem.
Doraemon Airlines (id 849)

rodendack

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #54 on: November 22, 2007, 12:06:23 am
I insist, I like overcrowding and it´s effects, the game is getting faster, prices are getting lower, there´s no gates

lot´s of points to be creative and research unpredictable routes with no competition, believe me, you can do it

it is not overcrowded on underdog airport A to underdog terminal B, that means that the game is healthy

go ahead if you wanna burden fighting on a degaulle - heathrow route, that doesn´t me that the game is on the wrong course

I believe that multiworlds will kill all that and that next round will be a much slower, less tactical and more "click anything anywhere to get more money" kind of game, I could be wrong, I´ll be right if you see me leave the game during the multiworlds
ordillera Airlines, your gate to the South Pacific

ID2322...

Excuse me for my poor english :)

Air Elbonia

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #55 on: November 22, 2007, 12:13:13 am
Quote from: "rodendack"
I insist, I like overcrowding and it´s effects, the game is getting faster, prices are getting lower, there´s no gates

lot´s of points to be creative and research unpredictable routes with no competition, believe me, you can do it

it is not overcrowded on underdog airport A to underdog terminal B, that means that the game is healthy

go ahead if you wanna burden fighting on a degaulle - heathrow route, that doesn´t me that the game is on the wrong course

I believe that multiworlds will kill all that and that next round will be a much slower, less tactical and more "click anything anywhere to get more money" kind of game, I could be wrong, I´ll be right if you see me leave the game during the multiworlds

at present there's about 1800 airlines in this "world", the default for an "standard" world will be about 1500. no new worlds will automatically be generated if there's still a public world out there under 66% full and under 50% complete (in game-time).  We'll try and keep competition strong in the worlds. have no fear.
Air Elbonia, First in Time Travel since 2073!  (AEB ID in Game: 333)

blastpast

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #56 on: November 22, 2007, 01:07:59 am
Quote from: "Vamerica"
Air New Zealand(real life) did dollar fares for a period of time. It was a promotion.

but once again, you just said it. "a period of time" and "promotion". these airlines putting 10 freq at 1 euro when everyone else is in the hundreds or even thousands and leaving it there is just rediculous. and because it will never show up on their low loadfactor list, they dont see it, and probobly never change it.

Vamerica

• Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #57 on: November 22, 2007, 01:23:25 am
Maybe it's a 10 year promotion. :lol:

Triple_7

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #58 on: November 23, 2007, 02:05:34 am
Surprised this is still going...

It really comes down to overcrowding and a few people who do run things down on purpose whether someone wants to admit it or not.  RSW-FLL route currently is done for.  To even get any load at all the only thing to charge is €1.  Only reason I still run that route is because its not loosing profit (but only gaining €256 for it) but it uses up the hours on an aircraft.  Unfortunately what is found on a lot of routes is people who truly can not justify their price or frequencies.  Theres a route (forgot which one) that the cheapest fare was €900.  Some loon came in and between 4 aircraft was making over 50 frequencies all costing €1.  That route was done in as there was no profit to be found anymore.  Theres no way he was even making any profit off it as it was a longer flight.  This is no longer "Competition" its just downright stupidity.  Doing this doesn't always drive the competition away either, theres a lot of people who barely check in at all or are just simply dead accounts.  Its not someone trying to compete anymore, if they had the option of €.01 price they would use it.  Theres no route that is worth flying 50 frequencies or even 10.  Those aircraft could make twice as much flying 2-3 frequencies to different destinations.  

As for the player limit on the new worlds...I wouldn't even go as high as 1500.  Maybe 750 at the most per world.  Theres simply not enough profitable airports to support 1500 people in one world essentially putting us back right where we are now.  I would even go as far as making a special world where 0.5's are banned and have a cap on frequencies..say 4...and also have a setup with a "fair fare law."  Wouldn't get the main crowd in it but it would be a challenging world for those of us who really want to play fairly realistic.
ast Real Flight...Taiwan 2006...July 30th Through August 19th...FWA-DFW-LAX-TPE.....TPE-LAX-ORD-FWA.

Vamerica

• Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #59 on: November 23, 2007, 02:28:14 am
I have to close my domestic routes between the Islands from honolulu because even if I put a dollar on them it would still be 0%.  :x

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk