Airline Mogul Forum

So I don't think I am going about this the right way...

s2cmpugh

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
on: September 05, 2007, 04:11:44 am
Hey Everyone!  I just started playing this game today and am already addicted.  However, I am now over $5 million in the hole!!!  What did I do wrong??  Does anyone have any tips or suggestions?  I thought I was doing good and had it down, but when my gate rental and airplane leases it, I am severely in the red!!  Help!!

Thanks,
Cris P.

d1-3508

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 04:19:55 am
Ok.
Simply put, you had too many gates, and too many lease-in's, which when combined with a low DOP & a month change will cause a negative cash amount.
It should be all fine in a couple of RL hours.
EO of Pacfic Blue, ID 302.
Senior Editor of AMM (Airline Mogul Magazine)
2nd Most Southerly Member in the game.
No longer an admin.

Air Elbonia

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 04:20:16 am
Month end expenses are likely the cause, if you have a positive DOP that is.

on the 1st of every game month (the time of day fluctuates a bit now and then) maintenance, gate rental, lease revenue and expense, etc. all happen.  If you're 5m in the hole cashwise, you may be just a little gate heavy (which in most cases just means a few hours of waiting for positive cash again) or you may have some oversized leases.  Finance should help you figure out in general where you're high/low.

Don't forget, leases you pick up from the used market will charge that rate monthly, it's not a one-time payment.  (not to insult you, just a common misconception).
Air Elbonia, First in Time Travel since 2073!  (AEB ID in Game: 333)

s2cmpugh

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 04:26:32 am
So it sounds like I just bought gates, then only used them maybe 10% of the time, when I should have used them more?  I just cancelled all my leases, closed most of my routes, and the only plane I have now is the one they give you when you start.  Is there a way I can get a reset?  Does anyone have any tips I could use?  I would prefer to not keep failing...

Is there a way to see how effeciently I am using my airplanes?  Is it good to have a higher frequency or not?

pTr

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 04:37:07 am
Theres really no tips to the game.. its all about patience! You start out small, and you spend time looking for the most profitable routes, and slowly(I mean really slowly), you grow to become a major airline. Since this round has already started for a couple of months already, its unlikely you will catch up with the leading airlines. So this is my suggestion, stick to the game, try different things out, and prepare for next round(according to D Express, in 28 real life days)
img]http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff56/ptrshih/shanghaiyt3.gif[/img]

Shanghai Airlines ID:655

d1-3508

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 04:41:05 am
-thwack-
Don't try to call me DEX. :lol:
No longer an admin.

s2cmpugh

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 04:44:42 am
Quote from: "pTr"
Theres really no tips to the game.. its all about patience! You start out small, and you spend time looking for the most profitable routes, and slowly(I mean really slowly), you grow to become a major airline. Since this round has already started for a couple of months already, its unlikely you will catch up with the leading airlines. So this is my suggestion, stick to the game, try different things out, and prepare for next round(according to D Express, in 28 real life days)

How do I go about finding profitable routes?  Since I have negative cash right now, I can't even lease planes or anything....

d1-3508

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007, 04:47:11 am
Ahhh, but you can do something.
You are still able to rent gates & create routes.
No longer an admin.

Air Elbonia

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: September 05, 2007, 04:47:59 am
Usually.  low competition routes tend to be decently profitable, but depending on who you're competiting with and what route it all varies.

Basic trend to keep an eye for: Higher populations tend to mean higher profits, higher competition almost always means lower profits, and of course, the trick is finding a place where you can pull off a good balance of the two (relatively high pop, relatively low competition) and periodically accept Loadfactors in the 80s rather then spur on price wars to the teens.

s2cmpugh

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: September 05, 2007, 04:53:50 am
but should I maximize my frequency or look for more routes?  For example, since I only have one plane, I have a frequency of 10 from RIC to Raleigh and am making about $75k, and then I have a frequency of 1.5 from RIC to Chicago Midway or about $70k.  So what should I do????

d1-3508

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: September 05, 2007, 05:04:10 am
Maximizing frequencies usually equal lower profit per aircraft.
No longer an admin.

s2cmpugh

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: September 05, 2007, 05:09:50 am
So it sounds like making the frequency 1 or 2 will yield better profits?

d1-3508

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: September 05, 2007, 05:12:04 am
Yes, if you create more routes.
No longer an admin.

s2cmpugh

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: September 05, 2007, 05:16:21 am
Quote from: "d1-3508"
Yes, if you create more routes.

Thanks for your help!  But, how do I find profitable routes?  The only way I know of is to just pick a city that is somewhat large, look to see if anyone else flies there from my city, and see what the market guess is (ie: average, good, etc.).  That costs money though, so is there another way?

Air Elbonia

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: September 05, 2007, 05:21:47 am
the market research tool is handy, if you know some airports around where you're based.  Shows competition, distance without having to rent gates.

For this age at least, you likely want lowish frequencies (say 1-3 freq) so the plane can serve more places, then rather high frequency flights. next age will have a correction to the overly flat rate of return on routes (i.e. ticket rev from 1 freq vs 10 freq).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk