Airline Mogul Forum

Alliance Etiquette - Any Game

TheLastBaron

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
    • The Last Baron
on: May 21, 2012, 10:11:30 pm
Here's the sitch, what do you think about it?

My airline is relatively new in a relatively new public world. It has a fleet of about 20 small prop planes of max 56 pax. Growth is good and the fleet will be replaced as growth continues... normal business cycle.

I joined an alliance, and in doing so became the only airline in that alliance to offer a non-U.S.-based hub. One of the other alliance members is a behemoth with more than 150 aircraft, all jets, all very large of course (how this is possible in such a short time after opening of the game is always a mystery to me but so be it...). Shortly after I joined the alliance, this behemoth loaded up my hub with his mega jets and proceeded to promptly undercut all of my fares on nearly every one of my routes, wreaking havoc on well, more than 80% of them and dealing me a really bad setback which forced me to bail out of the alliance pronto.

In past games, all players in every alliance I have been in have always followed the same sense of etiquette - you do not undercut anyone in your own alliance.  If you do, it is an exception and you at least have the courtesy to notify that player. Obviously, this has meant that deploying a large jet on a route I am running with a Dash-6 is not a wise thing to do, as - without undercutting me by more than 50% farewise - the jet would be very empty at the rates I have to charge.

My big competitor in same alliance was not troubled by any sense of decorum or etiquette and responded to my calling him on his unfriendly behavior that "that's called competition" and basically "tough luck."

Who agrees and who disagrees? Should joining an alliance just give everyone the right to rape a competitor blind with no consequences? Startlingly, those airlines joining real alliances in the real world are allowed to compete on price, but withing very strict, carefully defined ranges and parameters as the sense of an alliance is commonly deemed communal cooperation - us vs. them, the them being those outside the alliance, not those in it...

pseudoswede

• Airline Manager
  • Play to win, not imitate.
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 12:21:10 am
Is this a public alliance? If so, anything goes.

Since you aren't the owner of the alliance, you have to abide by the rules of alliance. If there aren't any, then, again, anything goes.

Planet Express Airways
Member of the FT Alliance
ID: 3446

Opinions expressed in my posts are suggestions to achieve maximum airline value and top rankings.
If you do not wish for either, then feel free to ignore.

TheLastBaron

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
    • The Last Baron
Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 03:21:09 pm
Well, once again reality is not reflected... there is, then, other than gaining access to another player's base and raping it blind, no real reason to join a public alliance. I'll just found my own private alliance then, where players will be assured that this kind of unfair undercutting cannot take place and thus a more harmonious outlook prevails.

pseudoswede

• Airline Manager
  • Play to win, not imitate.
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 08:34:01 pm
I had no idea there were such things as public alliances in real life...

Planet Express Airways
Member of the FT Alliance
ID: 3446

Opinions expressed in my posts are suggestions to achieve maximum airline value and top rankings.
If you do not wish for either, then feel free to ignore.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk