Airline Mogul Forum

[GIMP] Tutorial on liveries

Commercial Air Services

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: October 08, 2012, 01:09:47 pm
Hey CAS, where did you find a DC-3 template? i have scoured the internet and cant find one!

Meko, here is the one I used. Only I flipped it to face the other way, retracted the landing gear, erased the text labels and did some editing on the lines printed along the fuselage to make them appear less bold and prominent. I also added a few details such as the engine exhausts etc.

I also struggled at first to find any vintage templates but then Matias gave me the following advice in an earlier post. He recommended searching the aircraft name/designation followed by either drawing, line drawing, three way drawing or template (For example: "DC-3 drawing" or "DC-3 line drawing"). More often than not I found more than enough templates of various sorts for most aircraft. I also had some luck when using the word sketch together with the aircraft name (For example: "DC-3 sketch"). You see... the thing with all the ones I found are that they are not the Jetabout type templates that are designed with livery design in mind and nearly all of them require some editing to make them perfect in my opinion. Although I'm particularly pedantic so it might not matter to others really.

But I must add that for some aircraft you can search your holy, best, but off and you wont find anything decent! Like the Convair 340/440 series. Actually... I am currently in the process of tracing my own CV440 template off a photograph taken directly from the side. Now that... is a very, very annoying and terribly tedious job!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 01:17:45 pm by Commercial Air Services »

SATA

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: December 16, 2012, 12:08:31 am
I don't know if I'm missing something but how to get a layer from background without the whole image turning white and the template disappearing?

Cheers, Kriss.

Provost32

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: January 30, 2013, 12:38:30 am
This is a great tutorial.

I almost have it down.

I have on question though, I am playing with the shading.

I can get the shading on the white part of the aircraft no problem.

But, it is not shading the lettering I put on. I covers it over completely, like the white to gray transition is a solid colour.

How do I get it over the lettering as well?
Provost32
CEO
SunFire Airways

1993matias

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Senior Manager
  • Play to have fun!
    • View Profile
    • Train pins and tie clips
Reply #18 on: January 30, 2013, 07:34:09 am
Make it as the 2nd topmost layer, just below the fuselage. When you are confident with the result, make the layer transparent. Now the shading will cover everything except the aircraft itself

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk