Airline Mogul Forum

Unrealistic routes

fly757s

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
on: June 28, 2011, 06:12:14 am
Hi everyone.
I am sure that I am not the only one to notice this but, it seems like the biggest airlines only have one frequency in each market. I wish there was a way to code multiple frequencies= more traffic. Yeah this is a game, but its annoying when I see 10 airlines with one flight a day in a market when in reality those would be the ones to fail first.... Comments, suggestions?

DRW

Hal

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 07:37:57 am
That is simple economy, more supply than demand = lower revenue/lower profit.  In this game is more competition than in real life and airline must look at it. If you will be making multifreq routes and will be competing with big airlines they will be using big planes and price will go drasticaly down and you will be not making mostly any profit and your airline will be going to bankrupt.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 08:57:26 am by Hal »
Central Europe Brokerage, official broker, ID15523.

LOT 737-300

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 03:32:56 am
That is simple economy, more supply than demand = lower revenue/lower profit.  In this game is more competition than in real life and airline must look at it. If you will be making multifreq routes and will be competing with big airlines they will be using big planes and price will go drasticaly down and you will be not making mostly any profit and your airline will be going to bankrupt.
Not to mention, those same airlines not only have larger planes most of the time, but also more of them to place on the same route, and could even afford to lose some money on a few routes, just to sweep out the competition. The game used to have a problem (fixed years ago, but I was playing my first rounds at the time) where people would have all of their routes to .5s. It caused quite some controversy early on, but was fixed in the end to where each aircraft could only have 2 .5 frequencies only. 

I do have a feeling though, that having the code making an "optimal" amount of frequencies to max out the demand may cause another Pandora's box of sorts to open up. There was an other very similar game that worked a lot like that (and many older players of this game were very likely players of that game too). When I last played, a typical 10 year round went like this: year 1 and 2 were productive for everyone, people were getting their first Airbi and Boeings. By year 3, the larger guys would really start to build up, by year 4, the top 5 or so had basically taken over most of the routes, and no one could afford to make a decent profit. Admittedly, Airline Mogul forces the Hub and Spoke system more, where this one was a bit more free, and didn't require Hub/Focus City to be one point of the route, thus allowing such domination to take place. Of course, to add, that game also had a different profit function too. In that game, a full plane was not as profitable as a plane with like 2/3s of the seats left. Of course, all the insane problems with that game is what lead to this game being created.

AirbusL1011

• Airline Operative
  • Back after a year-long break!
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 08:00:52 am
Yikes- i think that game is messed up. Airline Empi**s perhaps?

Cipher53

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 08:52:14 pm
That is simple economy, more supply than demand = lower revenue/lower profit.  In this game is more competition than in real life and airline must look at it. If you will be making multifreq routes and will be competing with big airlines they will be using big planes and price will go drasticaly down and you will be not making mostly any profit and your airline will be going to bankrupt.

Yes, economics works that way, but I don't think it fits in the context of some parts of this game.. airlines typically run more than one flight to an airport a day (Especially if it's an international airport)...

Sure, airlines typically don't pack 100% on every flight that they run, but they very typically manage a high loadfactor all things considered. That's what I think fly757s is trying to get at, the general game strategy is to run 1 freq routes everywhere while normal business strategy in real life would be to run as many flights as you could to an airport to balance the costs of renting out the gate at the airport..

I've nothing against the game engine myself (As it runs a lot better than another that I've played), but I do see the point.. :P

LOT 737-300

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 09:07:08 pm

Yes, economics works that way, but I don't think it fits in the context of some parts of this game.. airlines typically run more than one flight to an airport a day (Especially if it's an international airport)...

Sure, airlines typically don't pack 100% on every flight that they run, but they very typically manage a high loadfactor all things considered. That's what I think fly757s is trying to get at, the general game strategy is to run 1 freq routes everywhere while normal business strategy in real life would be to run as many flights as you could to an airport to balance the costs of renting out the gate at the airport..

I've nothing against the game engine myself (As it runs a lot better than another that I've played), but I do see the point.. :P
That wouldn't make sense either, as not every airport needs more than 1 flight a day. I'm sure an American Airport, like Memphis (which I hear has been on the decline passenger side IRL) would have many flights classified as "1 freq." To be honest, more than 1 flight a day would make a lot of sense out of very larger airports though (though to be honest, I have found myself doing more multi-freq flying in the form of multi-plane flying on a route, mostly to balance out the effect caused by a smaller competitor that just started leasing a lot of 120 seaters recently and flying almost exclusively 2x on all the routes. I suppose that is a large reason also why some airlines operate multi routes too, to attract travelers to more choices. It did on the other hand increase my Operating profit a bit, granted, it possibly came with the added cost of maintenance, but it is a technique I had used before back in Public World 9 when I had a similar competitor in Budapest. I think within a Game year or two, he got sick of seeing more aircraft on routes he randomly plopped a Caravelle or a Boeing 737-200 on and packed up shop there.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 09:10:52 pm by LOT 737-300 »

Cipher53

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 10:04:44 pm
Wasn't really making a suggestion, but for reference, the airport where I live is actually in the game, and it only has 120k passengers ingame.. we get flights three times a day from American Eagle..

I kinda have to think that the game engine makes multi-frequency 'realistic' routes something that doesn't appeal to everybody, since you kinda want to grow.. best way to do that is spam 1 freq routes everywhere..

blue25

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 10:05:34 pm
Here, we call it the "blue" game ;)
Alto Airlines [ID: 2167]

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: July 02, 2011, 10:11:33 pm

Most of the competition is blue so you could be referring to any of them with that. ;)
Stephen Murphy
Airline Mogul Chief Developer

LOT 737-300

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: July 02, 2011, 10:52:25 pm
Wasn't really making a suggestion, but for reference, the airport where I live is actually in the game, and it only has 120k passengers ingame.. we get flights three times a day from American Eagle..

I kinda have to think that the game engine makes multi-frequency 'realistic' routes something that doesn't appeal to everybody, since you kinda want to grow.. best way to do that is spam 1 freq routes everywhere..
I guess spamming is too harsh of a word, if I should say. Spamming would have worked better in the old form, when an airline could have as many .5s around as possible. There are quite a few airlines that likely just send a single 737 sized aircraft, and nothing more!

I should find the thread from a few years back about .5s. It made got real nasty if I remember.

http://stephenm.org/smfforum/index.php?topic=2414.0

Maybe some adjustment for very large cities would be good, personally, I would be up for it! I'm just wondering though, if there is anything of a Hub effect programmed into the game yet. That alone would be a great help there, then would make multifreqs logical!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 10:58:22 pm by LOT 737-300 »

blue25

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: July 03, 2011, 01:36:47 am

Most of the competition is blue so you could be referring to any of them with that. ;)
Competition? Aren't we the only game in town? :lol:
Alto Airlines [ID: 2167]

Virgin Serbia

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: July 03, 2011, 08:44:33 am

I know of 2 similar games, although only 1 (Let's call it X) is a serious contender. Airline Mogul and X have almost nothing in common, and are very different with plenty of advantages over AM, but with plenty of disadvantages as well. That pretty much puts the two games on equal footing.

The other game is that facebook thing, which is a laughable attempt at creating an airline game...

I will refrain from talking any more about the competition, as it is against the rules.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 08:47:47 am by Virgin Serbia »
O0 Lotus Airlines of India (PW#2650) •

AirbusL1011

• Airline Operative
  • Back after a year-long break!
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: July 10, 2011, 12:06:06 pm

I know of 2 similar games, although only 1 (Let's call it X) is a serious contender. Airline Mogul and X have almost nothing in common, and are very different with plenty of advantages over AM, but with plenty of disadvantages as well. That pretty much puts the two games on equal footing.

The other game is that facebook thing, which is a laughable attempt at creating an airline game...

I will refrain from talking any more about the competition, as it is against the rules.
i know that facebook game- the only thing you need a 'hub' for is a achievement, and the dassauult mercure is the most profitable-*puts on wierd yoda voice* stuffed up it is.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 12:56:51 pm by AirbusL1011 »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk