Airline Mogul Forum

Longest range plane?

Nipoel123

• Airline Operative
  • Commercial Pilot To Be
    • View Profile
on: January 29, 2011, 01:45:34 pm
one question:
What's the plane with the longest range? I'm not talking about a specific time period, just the whole game.

Virgin Serbia

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 03:10:14 pm
A340-500 with false Airbus data/propaganda or the Boeing 777-200LR with correct data.
O0 Lotus Airlines of India (PW#2650) •

pseudoswede

• Airline Manager
  • Play to win, not imitate.
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 03:51:03 am
I think some of the Scarebus VIP and Boeing BBJ models have longer ranges.

Planet Express Airways
Member of the FT Alliance
ID: 3446

Opinions expressed in my posts are suggestions to achieve maximum airline value and top rankings.
If you do not wish for either, then feel free to ignore.

jayceon

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 06:36:57 pm

True. As far as I know the 772LR VIP has the longest range; 12333nm. But it can only carry 100 passengers.

Virgin Serbia

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 06:47:36 pm

True. As far as I know the 772LR VIP has the longest range; 12.333 nm. But it can only carry 100 passengers.

Lol, earth has a circumference of 21.602 nm. The 777-200LR BBJ therefore has 1532 nm of redundant range, not taking into account of wind which isn't a factor in-game.

CHR

• Brokers
  • Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 10:53:22 pm
Not applicable in AM, but one needs the spare fuel so they can divert if necessary, and potentially to take alternate routings to avoid certain countries and the like - which may be of concern if you're that rich.

Nipoel123

• Airline Operative
  • Commercial Pilot To Be
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 10:14:16 am
Thanks for the replies! I'm going to go with the A340-500 first then, (because it's out earlier), and later replace them with the 772 LR.

Virgin Serbia

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 03:10:58 pm
Not applicable in AM, but one needs the spare fuel so they can divert if necessary, and potentially to take alternate routings to avoid certain countries and the like - which may be of concern if you're that rich.

Hardly. Why would you not fly over a particular country just because you are wealthy? Even the most corrupt countries won't  force you to land, unless they want to risk all commercial flights to that country shut down. 

CHR

• Brokers
  • Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 12:12:59 am
There are plenty of no fly or undesirable to fly countries (historically and currently). Googling it, this result came up.
Loads of airlines avoid North Korea, the USSR had an awfully big large amount of no fly zone for Western airlines and some African/Middle East countries don't allow some Western countries. There was the case of the Korean Airlines plane being shot down by the USSR (admittedly not forced to land). I imagine if you could avoid some of those places, you probably would. If commercial airliners make detours around certain countries, why wouldn't important people - who may well have annoyed whatever crazy regime is in place (if not just by their nationality, by their actions).

Virgin Serbia

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 01:46:19 pm
There are plenty of no fly or undesirable to fly countries (historically and currently). Googling it, this result came up.
Loads of airlines avoid North Korea, the USSR had an awfully big large amount of no fly zone for Western airlines and some African/Middle East countries don't allow some Western countries. There was the case of the Korean Airlines plane being shot down by the USSR (admittedly not forced to land). I imagine if you could avoid some of those places, you probably would. If commercial airliners make detours around certain countries, why wouldn't important people - who may well have annoyed whatever crazy regime is in place (if not just by their nationality, by their actions).

The USSR disappeared 20 years ago ;) And the 777-200LR is only 6 years old ;)

The only country not allowing fly-overs today is North Korea, a rather small country. There are no-fly zones even in the US, but they are no biggies. And the only mid-eastern countries that have banned flights is Israel and Iran, who don't allow Iranian and Israeli planes over.

Remember, most African countries, no matter what regime is in place, have flights to and from Europe or South Africa. Force down a business jet, and you will just scare away all those airlines. And for an African country, those flights are very important lifelines. 

So unless your aircraft is registered in Israel... ;)

CHR

• Brokers
  • Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: February 05, 2011, 03:49:40 am
The link does claim that US airlines can't operate in some African countries - so if you've a US registered plane... But my point was more that if you have sufficient money to waste it on getting a 777 - as a private jet - you might indulge yourself and waste some more avoiding anywhere remotely dangerous.
And crackpot dictators tend not to care too much about scaring/annoying anyone, just look at somewhere like Zimbabwe.

Virgin Serbia

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: February 05, 2011, 09:42:10 am
The link does claim that US airlines can't operate in some African countries - so if you've a US registered plane... But my point was more that if you have sufficient money to waste it on getting a 777 - as a private jet - you might indulge yourself and waste some more avoiding anywhere remotely dangerous.

Lets be a little critical of the source. It's a forum ;) They post no links whatsoever to verify their claims.

They mention Sudan as a country that doesn't allow overflights. I happen to have flown over Sudan many times. It's a big vast expanse of nothing/sand.

And crackpot dictators tend not to care too much about scaring/annoying anyone, just look at somewhere like Zimbabwe.
http://abesha.wordpress.com/2008/01/31/top-12-africas-worst-dictators/

Mugabe only scares/annoys his own population. And even then, there are many farmers still in the country. Western media paint a very grim picture of Zimbabwe and other african dictatorships, which is often not true. (I know that from white friends i have in Zimbabwe)

The fact is, dictatorships are often barred from trading with the EU, and sometimes the US. Overflights earn money, and are therefore easy ways of earning hard needed cash for the dictator/military/country.
The costs vary alot, in the US it is almost free. France is quite expensive. A big country like Sudan probably charges quite a bit more.
Cuba supposedly made many of it's import orders through money earned by overflights of US based airlines. The fees are paid in hard cash at the Cuban embassy in Mexico.

CHR

• Brokers
  • Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: February 05, 2011, 01:42:30 pm
While it is a forum I was looking at, I don't see why it's any less reliable that this one. Indeed, the fact that it is a fairly large forum devoted to aviation (and specifically commercial aviation), would suggest that, were fabrications brought up, they would probably be pointed out and shot down in flames pretty quickly by other members. The claim they make about Sudan is not that fly overs are forbidden, but that no US airlines fly there (and the implication inferred from this is that the Sudanese government is probably not willing to give regulatory approval to said US airlines). They point out that airlines from non-US countries regularly fly there, by posting a link (admittedly to a blog) in the second post on Sudan.

In terms of Zimbabwe being anything other than a complete basket case... well... I guess I'll just have to believe almost every commentator in the Western world on this one. But to look at two fairly reputable sources, the CIA World Factbook points out that "the government's land reform program, characterized by chaos and violence, has badly damaged the commercial farming sector" and later that the Zimbabwean dollar's official exchange rate went from 162 per US$ in 2006, to 30,000 per US$ in 2007 (with a realistic unofficial figure of 800,000 per US$) - which, by my calculations, is 493,800% inflation. Meanwhile, the BBC country profile describes how "the forced seizure of almost all white-owned commercial farms, with the stated aim of benefiting landless black Zimbabweans, led to sharp falls in production and precipitated the collapse of the agriculture-based economy". The considerable international sanctions against Zimbabwe would suggest that he is annoying more than just his own people.

Anyhow, I digress, while it is certainly true that fly overs are a source of good money (as that forum suggests RE North Korea), to many of these dictatorships, the hatred of the West, or more often certain countries (like the US or UK) for various reasons (such as a belief that they are trying to impose imperialistic policies on them) leads them to be quite willing to ostracise those specific countries, even if it means they lose a little money. The fact that these dictatorships often have huge sanctions imposed on them by foreign powers would suggest that acquiring foreign currency is probably not their primary goal - but rather, their goal is satisfying the strange whims of their dictator - even if that means turning away a few British or American planes.

But in the end, even if the worst parts of Africa are perfectly safe, successful states, the perception in the west, as pointed out, is that they are dangerous, which would make it quite plausible that rich 777 owners would divert around them - regardless of whether the fears motivating them were true or not.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 01:48:30 pm by CHR »

pseudoswede

• Airline Manager
  • Play to win, not imitate.
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: February 05, 2011, 02:48:42 pm
Indeed, the fact that it is a fairly large forum devoted to aviation (and specifically commercial aviation)

FlyerTalk is a forum for frequent fliers--i.e., airliners.net for adults.

Planet Express Airways
Member of the FT Alliance
ID: 3446

Opinions expressed in my posts are suggestions to achieve maximum airline value and top rankings.
If you do not wish for either, then feel free to ignore.

Virgin Serbia

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: February 05, 2011, 04:51:20 pm
The fact that these dictatorships often have huge sanctions imposed on them by foreign powers would suggest that acquiring foreign currency is probably not their primary goal - but rather, their goal is satisfying the strange whims of their dictator - even if that means turning away a few British or American planes.

And how do you satisfy a dictator? Large TVs, computers, large German cars, clothes, electricity in the palace and possibly a private jet or two. And how do you ensure that the dictator stays in power? You equip the army/militia with weapons. No African countries produce these goods, they need to import them. Russia is sure as hell not going to take payment for a shipment of T-72s and AK-47s in Zimbabwe dollars. Same goes for BMW, Audi and Samsung. Local currencies in Africa have no value. $ and € are therefore very important. And sanctions don't prevent these goods from reaching the dictatorships. If anything, a middleman in the UAE or Ukraine will be selling them for the above mentioned western currencies.

The claim they make about Sudan is not that fly overs are forbidden, but that no US airlines fly there (and the implication inferred from this is that the Sudanese government is probably not willing to give regulatory approval to said US airlines).

Which has nothing to do with a ban on US airlines. I have yet to see a US airline in Tanzania, a far more properous country. That doesn't mean they aren't allowed in. Besides, you said previously:
Quote from: CHR
the link does claim that US airlines can't operate in some African countries - so if you've a US registered plane...

I suggest you read your link again.

Besides that, aviation forums such as Flyertalk and Airliners.net are some of the largest collections of BS on the internet, and fabrications are (sadly) not shot down in flames.
Example: Check a.net for threads about the troubles with SAS. Any airliners.net member will tell you it is because of the old fuel guzzling MD-80s, and the lack of fleet commonality. The real reason: High staff costs. SAS could just as well be operating DC-8s and Caravelles, and they would still have larger problems in the form of overpaid staff.
There are plenty of examples.
Edit: Check this thread. Not only does the poster show the wrong plane, but he also presumes that Serbia is going to buy it, based on a mere visit. http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/military/read.main/131130/
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 04:53:49 pm by Virgin Serbia »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk