Airline Mogul Forum

Customer Perks

oddward

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
on: January 06, 2011, 06:10:05 pm
I have an idea that may be pointless but might have potential for improvement. Essentially it would be that an airline can receive perks from manufacturers that might give advantages on certain routes. Ideas i have are Launch customer (when you are the first person to purchase an aircraft) this could give you an increase in your company value as long as those aircraft are still in your fleet, Largest operator of X plane this could lead to incrased profitability on domestic routes i.e flights less than 250 nm.

1993matias

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Senior Manager
  • Play to have fun!
    • View Profile
    • Train pins and tie clips
Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 06:21:59 pm
Launch customer:
A big airline can buy one of those planes, and get the reward.

Largest operator:
Another advantage for big airlines, giving them the possibility to kill the small ones easier.

oddward

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 06:28:37 pm
it doesn't matter who can get them everyone will get a boost and it will only be on the one plane. and people are unlikely to go and buy up everyplane and use them as it is annoying for your fleet if you have one plane of every type with some making very little, it would also only last whilst the plane is in your fleet and only act on that one plane which for small airlines is useful

Mastafa

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 07:00:50 pm
What if the plane is expensive

Baby Airlines can't buy them  :o
Sincerely, Mastafa

Virgin Serbia

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 07:17:45 pm
I don't see the point. How often have any of us gone off the way to fly on aircraft number 1? How many of us would like to fly the 10 year old clapped out 777 prototype or 737-700 number 1, vs a brand new 777-300ER or 737-700 with the new sky interior and AVOD, flat-bed seats in first and slimline seats in economy?
O0 Lotus Airlines of India (PW#2650) •

CHR

• Brokers
  • Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 10:18:56 pm
I don't really see why a launch customer would have more valuable aircraft. Early aircraft often don't perform up to the same standards as later ones (weren't the early A380s overweight?), and I don't think any passengers would care about how many planes you have - in terms of larger fleet sizes.
Unfortunately, as others have suggested, most of the more realistic "perks" tend to benefit large airlines. For example, a manufacturer may give a discount for large orders, or more homogeneous fleets may have lower maintenance costs.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 10:25:36 pm by CHR »

Mastafa

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 10:56:02 pm
I don't really see why a launch customer would have more valuable aircraft. Early aircraft often don't perform up to the same standards as later ones (weren't the early A380s overweight?), and I don't think any passengers would care about how many planes you have - in terms of larger fleet sizes.
Unfortunately, as others have suggested, most of the more realistic "perks" tend to benefit large airlines. For example, a manufacturer may give a discount for large orders, or more homogeneous fleets may have lower maintenance costs.

I agree

Big airlines will get a billion Learjet's if it gives them the value profit :o
Sincerely, Mastafa

Virgin Serbia

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 02:11:32 pm
Early aircraft often don't perform up to the same standards as later ones (weren't the early A380s overweight?)

So far that only goes for the MD-11 (first year of production) and 787 (First 9 frames). I'm quite sure the early A380s were within weight, but Airbus has talked about the first few A350s coming out overweight as well. And the early 777, the 777-200A, with short range.

But it is also worth noting that these aircraft were sold at a reduced price.

dktc

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 05:03:38 pm
So far that only goes for the MD-11 (first year of production) and 787 (First 9 frames). I'm quite sure the early A380s were within weight, but Airbus has talked about the first few A350s coming out overweight as well. And the early 777, the 777-200A, with short range.

But it is also worth noting that these aircraft were sold at a reduced price.

Well... reduced price doesn't automatically translate into de facto discount.
In financial jargons, the reduced price is generally calculated with the same targetted ROI as the production airframes in order for the buyer to accept the "defective" aircraft. These aircrafts only yield a portion of the financial performance, and therefore is only worth that portion of the price. When you think of capital as a limited resource, you would find that the investment required to achieve a unit of return would be the same, and thus there is no discount.

But then back to the topic, passengers prefer new aircrafts to old "first aircraft of the model". They associate fleet age to safety and amenities. The first aircraft gimmick is only a marketing stunt that only work for huge jumbo jets or supersonic jets.
D Express (id 616) 8)
AM Membership Officer / Official Broker

Virgin Serbia

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 09:24:09 pm
But then back to the topic, passengers prefer new aircrafts to old "first aircraft of the model". They associate fleet age to safety and amenities. The first aircraft gimmick is only a marketing stunt that only work for huge jumbo jets or supersonic jets.

Agreed. Even the 747-8 or 787 won't get the same attention as the A380.

But the age might be valid. But the reward should only be small. It should be based on average fleet age.

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 10:36:42 pm
You could argue that the bonus you get of a first aircraft is increased maintenance costs, because there will still be faults not worked out in testing that will appear when first entered into commercial service. Later aircraft become more reliable as all the issues are worked out.
Stephen Murphy
Airline Mogul Chief Developer

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk