Airline Mogul Forum

List of Online Players?

Lord Voldemort

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
on: January 03, 2011, 04:23:59 am
I decided to jump back into this game :)... I've been learning programming recently and somehow that reminded me of this I guess. Anyways, I don't know how hard this would be to implement, given my new found appreciation of the difficulty of making seemingly small/easy updates, but a list of online players in a given world would be nice to have, for business purposes to see who it would be best to send requests, etc.. to.

Anyways, looking forward to getting into AM again!
PS - I also liked that there's mini-forum on each world! Cool stuff!

CHR

• Brokers
  • Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 07:05:34 am
Yeah, that could definitely be useful. Another use would be to avoid editing routes in competition with someone who's online.

Lord Voldemort

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 10:12:08 pm
Gotta love Mr. MUST HAVE 100% Loadfactor...  ^-^

Virgin Serbia

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 07:10:40 am
Gotta love Mr. MUST HAVE 100% Loadfactor...  ^-^

:lol: :lol:
O0 Lotus Airlines of India (PW#2650) •

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 11:48:50 am
Where would we put such a list of players if there was one implemented?
Stephen Murphy
Airline Mogul Chief Developer

AirbusGuy350

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 12:11:38 pm
I think it should go in the rankings next to their id and just be like the gates red circle for not online green for online

Lord Voldemort

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 06:54:07 pm
I think it should go in the rankings next to their id and just be like the gates red circle for not online green for online

This is a good idea as well. I was thinking under the title, where it says:
Welcome Name, Your ID is Number
PM(x).... etc..
Other online players are: a, b, c....()

However this might clutter up the top, especially in public worlds.
This might be a reason for AirbusGuy350's idea, as even if it takes a bit longer find online players, it won't clutter any menus or anything.

CHR

• Brokers
  • Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 08:01:09 pm
I think it would be good to have it on the View Airline, like the Activity information, with "Online" or "Offline" in green and red respectively.
I also like the idea of the gates circle style indicator, but I'm not sure where to put it.
The rankings page seems the immediately most obvious spot to put it. It would have the benefit of showing everyone who is online fairly easily, and sorts them by value to allow you to locate an airline of a rough size and in a certain continent for potential deals. The problem with this would be that I imagine it might be a fair load on the server, especially when most people probably don't want to see the information when they look up rankings.
An alternative to the rankings page could be to potentially put a list of online airlines on the home page as text or to create a new page for the information (maybe under the Corporate tab - which only has two pages now).
I think the circles could potentially also be put on the Create Routes page, showing which of your competition are online while you are creating/editing routes. This could be useful, as one may not check to see if their competitors are online before editing routes.
Indeed, circles could be put next to airline names in various other spots - such as on View Aircraft when leasing (both as the owner and leaser), next to messages in the inbox and forum, maybe even next to airlines on the Aircraft Market (though that could be a bit over the top - maybe just when viewing the individual aircraft) or the broker listing on the market home page.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk