Are 747-400s profitable?  

No
Yes
Dont know

boeing

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: October 20, 2010, 04:52:16 pm
In my first world i operated several 744s one that was 6 years old and within a game year i was bankrupt.

Mastafa

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: October 20, 2010, 09:28:32 pm
In my first world i operated several 744s one that was 6 years old and within a game year i was bankrupt.

Scrapping them...

Poor 1,200,000,000

Is it OK if I buy lockheeds?

Current year is 1989
Sincerely, Mastafa

TheKevinShow

• Airline Operative
  • Please refrain from using ethnic slurs.
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: October 21, 2010, 02:07:56 am
Yeah, I use 767-200ERs for all of my long-range flights, since they fit under the 200M value limit and are just under the 300 pax limit for profitability.

Flybynight747

• Airline Operative
  • FLY 747s
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: October 21, 2010, 03:51:52 pm
Yeah, I use 767-200ERs for all of my long-range flights, since they fit under the 200M value limit and are just under the 300 pax limit for profitability.

Absolutely correct here.

I have tried and tested all the long haul A/C available in AM, even the A380.

If you are determined to add long haul then 'TheKevinShow' advice is spot on and my own experience.

You can fiddle with the engine suppliers and extend range where needed to just 1 or 2 specific A/C if you want to boost range beyond that of a standard 777.

It comes in under the all important (but which many players forget) 200M price tag and carries less than 300 punters.

As a bit of an anorak, I keep details of previous game play and especially long haul profitable A/C on certain routes.
Without exception, once taking into account maintenance, lead in delivery times ( 150M is a lot to spend then wait 72HRs for delivery, when a you could buy many far more profitable S/H A/C and have them in your hanger in half the time making money) the B767 has been my best find for launching and reaching new L/H destinations.

I have a few other tricks up my sleeve, but I'm keeping those to myself.

Happy flying.

Mastafa

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: October 21, 2010, 09:56:37 pm

Absolutely correct here.

I have tried and tested all the long haul A/C available in AM, even the A380.

If you are determined to add long haul then 'TheKevinShow' advice is spot on and my own experience.

You can fiddle with the engine suppliers and extend range where needed to just 1 or 2 specific A/C if you want to boost range beyond that of a standard 777.

It comes in under the all important (but which many players forget) 200M price tag and carries less than 300 punters.

As a bit of an anorak, I keep details of previous game play and especially long haul profitable A/C on certain routes.
Without exception, once taking into account maintenance, lead in delivery times ( 150M is a lot to spend then wait 72HRs for delivery, when a you could buy many far more profitable S/H A/C and have them in your hanger in half the time making money) the B767 has been my best find for launching and reaching new L/H destinations.

I have a few other tricks up my sleeve, but I'm keeping those to myself.

Happy flying.

Thanks! I will go for 762 ERs. (Can you gimme some of your tricks via PM? ;) Pleeeezzzzzzzzzzz)
Sincerely, Mastafa

boeing

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: October 22, 2010, 06:41:02 pm
I myself have tested A380s and they are anything but profitable i currently run a very successful airline with several aircraft out on lease but I strongly advise against anything that costs over 200,000. 747-200s are grand for 4 years but other than that Do Not Use Them you will go bankrupt.       

Mastafa

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: October 22, 2010, 09:38:10 pm
I myself have tested A380s and they are anything but profitable i currently run a very successful airline with several aircraft out on lease but I strongly advise against anything that costs over 200,000. 747-200s are grand for 4 years but other than that Do Not Use Them you will go bankrupt.       

Wrong...

I operated 2 380s (with 3 on order) in a PW! All were 2 yrs old! I never went bankrupt!!! (Although I never operated them from YYZ) :P
Sincerely, Mastafa

Flybynight747

• Airline Operative
  • FLY 747s
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: October 22, 2010, 10:14:24 pm

Wrong...

I operated 2 380s (with 3 on order) in a PW! All were 2 yrs old! I never went bankrupt!!! (Although I never operated them from YYZ) :P

I operated an A380 between HND and ATL with NO competition on the route and made less than operating other A/C with Long haul capabilities.
I did scrap both my A380s before serious maintenance fees kicked in but it was a very poor performer.
If that big bird can't make money between the biggest airports in the game, then frankly, there is no hope for it.

Apart from a very short lived cache of being the only airline to operate the A380, once my competitors launched the same service on smaller jets, the joke was definitely on me.

But that's what the game is all about, try, learn, discover and keep what works.

Mastafa

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: October 22, 2010, 11:00:35 pm
Yeah.

BTW: I just kept the 380 for decorating purposes :P
Sincerely, Mastafa

jayceon

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: November 09, 2010, 06:53:39 pm
Don't even buy long haul planes at all. That's even better ;) You'll never make as much money as you do with A319/A320's and the maintenance costs will kill you once those big birds are getting older :P Plus, they cost around 4 times as much as an A319-class plane costs. I only fly domestic (<2000nm) with small planes like the A319 and I'm growing faster than anyone else 9 out of 10 times. You should give it a try :)

Virgin Serbia

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: November 09, 2010, 06:59:53 pm
Don't even buy long haul planes at all. That's even better ;) You'll never make as much money as you do with A319/A320's and the maintenance costs will kill you once those big birds are getting older :P Plus, they cost around 4 times as much as an A319-class plane costs. I only fly domestic (<2000nm) with small planes like the A319 and I'm growing faster than anyone else 9 out of 10 times. You should give it a try :)

Thats not true. As long as you follow the sensible rules for longhaulers (cost less than 200 million, less than 300 pax) they can be very profitable if used correctly. They are not as profitable as the short haul planes, but they are still profitable.
O0 Lotus Airlines of India (PW#2650) •

jayceon

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: November 09, 2010, 08:28:48 pm

Thats not true. As long as you follow the sensible rules for longhaulers (cost less than 200 million, less than 300 pax) they can be very profitable if used correctly. They are not as profitable as the short haul planes, but they are still profitable.

True, but I never said long haul planes aren't profitable ;) They're just not as profitable as short haul planes :)

Flybynight747

• Airline Operative
  • FLY 747s
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: November 09, 2010, 08:31:54 pm
That's very true, but some players (myself included) do like to add and pepper their networks with some L/H routes.

It's a game after all, I ensure my S/H network can easily absorb the extra costs and my DOC is high before ordering any L/H aircraft.

I'm a bit of a 'map' player, in that I also like to see my network grow and enjoy seeing my new destinations on the map.

As I said, we can all be serious players, but it's also meant to be a game and a bit of fun.

jayceon

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: November 09, 2010, 08:52:16 pm
That's very true, but some players (myself included) do like to add and pepper their networks with some L/H routes.

It's a game after all, I ensure my S/H network can easily absorb the extra costs and my DOC is high before ordering any L/H aircraft.

I'm a bit of a 'map' player, in that I also like to see my network grow and enjoy seeing my new destinations on the map.

As I said, we can all be serious players, but it's also meant to be a game and a bit of fun.

Yep, nothing wrong with that. And I have to say, LH routes do look sweet on the route map. My maps are mostly kinda boring with a large red dot :) It's all about strategy differences.

TheKevinShow

• Airline Operative
  • Please refrain from using ethnic slurs.
    • View Profile
Reply #29 on: November 09, 2010, 11:35:41 pm
The 767-200ERs work really well, but I really wish that the maintenance formulae would be fixed so I could use some 747s or 777s, since the 767-200ER is unavailable after 2004.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk