Airline Mogul Forum

PW1757 (Holiday Flight): FULL, Upcoming World Now Available

wishfulanthony

• Airline Operative
  • Owner of Volcano Airways
    • View Profile
    • My personal blog
Reply #15 on: October 20, 2010, 06:50:48 pm
[irish] hmmm... United is a good airline name, but, will it conflict with the recent guideline regarding naming airlines? (cf. Use of real world airline and alliance names article published by AM staff) Maybe you can use the name, but you can expand it to conform to guidelines. Also would you like to name your main base and your desired hub/s as a start? I'll be updating the airline list soon to indicate how many players are willing to join in.

[Neovic] yup, it will be 1996 upwards, so you can join in! I might do a start year of 1997 or 1999 (the same as my current world). Also, would you like to name your airline, your main base, and your desired base/s so that I can add you to the list?

[AirbusGuy350] of course you can join in as a broker! In my current world, there's a broker in which Stephen, the broker, and I negotiated with, and I approved it because it would enhance aircraft sales in the world. You're more than welcome to do so, and I will just notify Stephen via email.
Proud owner of

ID: 30954 · Owned Private Worlds 1596, 1757, 1936, and 2180 · Sojourner Dream · Need help on AM? Read my guides here

Mastafa

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: October 20, 2010, 09:30:48 pm
Can you limit 3 airlines per base?
Sincerely, Mastafa

irish

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: October 21, 2010, 02:12:11 am
ok then nvm with that name, ill just use kiwi air lines based out of atl

wishfulanthony

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
    • My personal blog
Reply #18 on: October 21, 2010, 07:20:16 am
[mastafa] Three airlines per base? I haven't considered that before... what's the good and not-so-good about limiting bases to three airlines? And will it adversely affect competition from other airlines serving them?

[irish] Good call! It's Kiwi Airlines out of ATL then. I'll update the list then... Any other bases you want to fly out of aside from ATL?
Proud owner of

ID: 30954 · Owned Private Worlds 1596, 1757, 1936, and 2180 · Sojourner Dream · Need help on AM? Read my guides here

pseudoswede

• Airline Manager
  • Play to win, not imitate.
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: October 21, 2010, 01:50:02 pm
what's the good and not-so-good about limiting bases to three airlines? And will it adversely affect competition from other airlines serving them?

It just makes the game less competitive and more boring. Honestly, that can be said for any private world--regardless of base restrictions.

Planet Express Airways
Member of the FT Alliance
ID: 3446

Opinions expressed in my posts are suggestions to achieve maximum airline value and top rankings.
If you do not wish for either, then feel free to ignore.

Flybynight747

• Airline Operative
  • FLY 747s
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: October 21, 2010, 04:07:47 pm
what's the good and not-so-good about limiting bases to three airlines? And will it adversely affect competition from other airlines serving them?

It just makes the game less competitive and more boring. Honestly, that can be said for any private world--regardless of base restrictions.

I'd have to agree, apart from start up and getting your airline up in the rankings, half the fun of the game comes from competition amongst rival airlines.

Limiting airlines to perhaps 3 (or indeed any number) at a hub renders the game meaningless, tedious and boring.

The whole cut n thrust is (within FAIR game rules) undercutting, starting and remaining ahead of your competitors.

Member airlines can enjoy a 'love in' within their respective alliances surely?

After that, it's free market rules. I mean this within understanding fair play and enjoying a friendly 'World'.
I neither condone, enjoy, or endorse some game play where operators set $1 routes or dump capacity, HOWEVER, that's the game, learn, find new tricks and beat them using skill and forward planning.

Sorry to interject , just my pennies worth.

Happy Flying.

wishfulanthony

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
    • My personal blog
Reply #21 on: October 21, 2010, 08:46:49 pm
[pseudoswede, FlybyNight] now I understand what's going on. So I'd keep all bases open and allow any airline to fly out of any base...

I'll keep everything open then. Thanks for your opinion!
Proud owner of

Mastafa

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: October 21, 2010, 09:58:39 pm
VA, how many tokens do you have?

and how many do you need to create the world?

Just curiosity ;)
Sincerely, Mastafa

Flybynight747

• Airline Operative
  • FLY 747s
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: October 21, 2010, 11:24:21 pm
[pseudoswede, FlybyNight] now I understand what's going on. So I'd keep all bases open and allow any airline to fly out of any base...

I'll keep everything open then. Thanks for your opinion!

It's your 'World' and obviously you are able to set, plan and enforce any rules you wish. That's the beauty of creating your own 'World'.

I was merely trying to suggest that as you are planning a long World game, it is better to have less restrictive rules for the game to really unfold and keep member airlines interested.

There are many games available that players lose interest in very quickly.

For example, I joined a game today that supposedly had 100 players in a 20 year game. I'm in that game and there is only 11 active players. Gotta tell you, no fun there, it's a dead World with no one building an Airline or even ordering A/C.
A complete waste of 30 tokens.
I want an active and diverse World where I face real challenges to build my network.

Hope this helps.

Happy flying.

wishfulanthony

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
    • My personal blog
Reply #24 on: October 22, 2010, 04:31:12 am
[pseudoswede] Well then, it may be time for me to simplify the rules even further for my upcoming world. Would you help me form ideas on how to make an upcoming world active and diverse? Like start small as how I did with my current world and build up from there?

My current world started with 20 initial slots, then due to demand, I then increased it to 25, and now, on its final form, it has 30 slots... less than half of it, though are currently active, even though 28 slots out of the 30 have been taken (cf. Private World 1596). I was thinking of lessening hub restrictions from 8 in the proposal to 15 hubs max, while I increase the aircraft and gates offer to entice more players. What would be a good balance of competition and incentive to make a competitive and active world, in your opinion?
Proud owner of

pseudoswede

• Airline Manager
  • Play to win, not imitate.
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: October 22, 2010, 06:14:00 am
Unfortunately, private worlds will never garner the interest of a lot of people--mainly because the great majority of the players rarely visit the forums. I think even public worlds have a difficult time keeping people active after 5 game years.

One problem is that people who are randomly looking for a game will gravitate towards public worlds because they are run by AM admins and not a private person. Second, private worlds are risky in a sense because you don't know if the world owner will kick you out for any reason; in addition, they are even less likely to join if the world is past January 1.

The only chance for your world to be successful is if you can market the game to a brand new group of players. That might mean spamming other boards, which may be frowned upon (in turn, Stephen probably wouldn't approve, either).

A long time ago, AM used to be one world, 10 game years in length, and unlimited players (about 2000-2200). I haven't had as much fun since then. Nonetheless, having played 5 of the 7 competitors, I still consider AM the most playable of the airline simulators.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 06:21:07 am by pseudoswede »

Planet Express Airways
Member of the FT Alliance
ID: 3446

Opinions expressed in my posts are suggestions to achieve maximum airline value and top rankings.
If you do not wish for either, then feel free to ignore.

Mastafa

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: October 22, 2010, 09:41:14 pm
[pseudoswede] Well then, it may be time for me to simplify the rules even further for my upcoming world. Would you help me form ideas on how to make an upcoming world active and diverse? Like start small as how I did with my current world and build up from there?

My current world started with 20 initial slots, then due to demand, I then increased it to 25, and now, on its final form, it has 30 slots... less than half of it, though are currently active, even though 28 slots out of the 30 have been taken (cf. Private World 1596). I was thinking of lessening hub restrictions from 8 in the proposal to 15 hubs max, while I increase the aircraft and gates offer to entice more players. What would be a good balance of competition and incentive to make a competitive and active world, in your opinion?

bbuuttt I want 10 hubs!!!

I dont care about the gates, or the number of jets I get. The restrictions for me are AT LEAST 10 demostic hubs, nevertheless of foreign hubs
Sincerely, Mastafa

wishfulanthony

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
    • My personal blog
Reply #27 on: October 23, 2010, 04:32:55 am
[pseudoswede] Well, it's a matter of balance and keeping players' interest then... I really would like to discover what would really make a successful private world in the first place, and yes, I've seen public worlds having a difficult time keeping people active after 5 game years. And yes, I've kept my eyes open to new sets of players; I don't want to restrict myself to old-timers, but, I just want to see continuity in the private worlds I create. I mean, I would be happy to start my private world again with just 20 players (instead of 30) and see how far I can go with it. But, I won't go to the point of spamming other boards just for the sake of inviting more people to join in; I just keep this message board updated frequently for newcomers and returning players.

I've also noted that many of the players rarely visit the forums... which is why I see the "Be Active" message on the Game News board that encourages members to contribute to the forums. But, anyhow, I just do my best to keep myself active despite being just a private member who continually maintains a successful private world. I might even place a suggestion of somehow integrating the forums with the AM main site so that more people can contribute, rather than separating the two?

[mastafa] Well, what I meant is that I'll lessen the restrictions from 8 domestic to 15 domestic hubs, allowing you to expand your operations even further, then you will get to choose up to 5 international (outside your base continent) hubs to make it more exciting, thus you'll have 20 hubs along with your base.
Proud owner of

Mastafa

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: October 23, 2010, 05:05:23 pm
Thanks VA!!!! You are the best!
Sincerely, Mastafa

HugoL

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #29 on: October 25, 2010, 06:00:57 pm
Hello. I would love to join the world if its still some spots left. I would like du reserve the Dubai International Airport (DXB) Possible?

Cheers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk