• View Profile
    • Quamu
on: October 24, 2009, 04:23:36 pm
Airline ID: 18849
World ID: 958
Current world year: 1996
*Current bases:
 - My own: Osaka Kansai International.
 - Alliance's: Beijing Capital International, Hong Kong - Chek Lap Kok International, Ninoy Aquino International, Shanghai - Pudong, Tokyo Haneda International.
DOC: €1,051,629
-----------------------------------
* My alliance has more bases, but those are the only ones I use so far.

Every game month my DOC seems to drop - is this flucuation or just dropping? Will it go back up if I leave it alone? I can get the DOC back up into the millions by changing the ticket price in the edit route screen, but the next day when I login the DOC is back down to the 800K range. What do you do when you have 100s of routes and aircraft? You can't possiblly have time to edit each indivual route do you?
Olympus Airways: PW #1291
ID: 18849

pseudoswede

• Airline Manager
  • Play to win, not imitate.
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 06:17:46 pm
Welcome to AM.

Once you reach a certain level on the game (i.e., number of routes), you are left with some important decisions. Given your DOC fluctuates wildly, that means that you are flying lots of highly competitive routes. To help mitigate the fluctuations you can either (1) open new routes from KIX--ideally to places with little or no compeitition--or (2) open a new base and start routes from there--ideally at a nearby airport so you can reuse existing airports.

Although it's ideal to have 100% load factors, it is often more lucrative to simply open new routes than spending time (and marketing fees) editing existing routes. Plus, you often will lose money editing routes because you may not be able to recoup the marketing fees before you have to edit the route again.

I've seen you on another airline game. As you already have noticed, the game play is totally different. If you want to discuss further, feel free to PM me.

Planet Express Airways
Member of the FT Alliance
ID: 3446

Opinions expressed in my posts are suggestions to achieve maximum airline value and top rankings.
If you do not wish for either, then feel free to ignore.

Flybynight747

• Airline Operative
  • FLY 747s
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 06:56:42 pm
Although it's ideal to have 100% load factors, it is often more lucrative to simply open new routes than spending time (and marketing fees) editing existing routes. Plus, you often will lose money editing routes because you may not be able to recoup the marketing fees before you have to edit the route again.

This is absolutely right, especially in the crucial start of the game while you are trying to establish and then maintain a good DOC.

For example, my most profitable route, when competition arrives, can drop significantly depending on what my competitors use as an A/C, ticket price etc.

The 'EDIT ROUTE' facility (on this route) costs a whopping 1.4MILLION each time.

1.4M buys a LOT of new gates to operate to rather than trying to keep a 100% LF on 1 single route.

Again, you will learn all these things as you progress through the game, like pseudo, any advice, please feel free to PM me. If I can, I will help.

Enjoy the game and good luck in your World

Jay
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 06:58:38 pm by Flybynight747 »

Unknown98

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
    • Quamu
Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 01:37:18 am
Ok, so instead of editing routes, most of the time it is better just to open another route with less competition. Gotcha.
Olympus Airways: PW #1291
ID: 18849

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk