• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
on: May 03, 2009, 05:39:51 pm
Aircraft ID: 18894
Type: multi-city trip bug
Airline Details: Ivy League Airways - ID 22903 [W506]
Description:

I was trying to open the following multi-city route:

Newark - Chicago O'Hare - Beijing Capital International - Shanghai Pudong - Mumbai
2.08 + 12.82 + 2.02 + 6.54 = 23.46

The numerics shown above are the single-trip times obtained from the AM 'Research Route' function, based on the Boeing B707-320B aircraft. The alliance I'm in has bases at Beijing and Shanghai.

While AM does not permit more than two 0.5 freq flights on the same aircraft out of the same airport, I presume that more than two 0.5 freq flights on the same aircraft but out of different airports should technically be allowed (such as in the above example, which is obviously a logical route setting). But after I worked all my way from Newark to Shanghai, I was unable to continue my trip to Mumbai for unknown reasons (the aircraft 18894 was simply not available for the remaining leg). However, when I tested and added a 0.5 freq leg Newark-Boston, it worked. This seems very strange. Can someone please look into the problem and fix it asap?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 05:44:04 pm by kcclieou »
W506 - Ivy League Airways - Your Choice for Academic Travel
W737 - Delta Air Lines - One Great Airline, Together in Style
W1162 - Southwest Airlines - A Symbol of Freedom
W1481 - United Airlines - It's Time to Fly

Cheung Airlines

• Brokers
  • Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 07:48:49 am
Have you counted the 707's turn time?

The 707's turn time should be 0.76 hour per stop.
so, by the time it reaches Shanghai, the time remained should be:

2.08 + 12.82 + 2.02+ 3(0.76) = 19.2, which is not enough for the remaining trip to Mumbai

My ID: |||||||||  - ||||||||||||||||
             A M ID:  1  02 5   2    (0)

kcclieou

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 06:12:40 pm
Have you counted the 707's turn time?

The 707's turn time should be 0.76 hour per stop.
so, by the time it reaches Shanghai, the time remained should be:

2.08 + 12.82 + 2.02+ 3(0.76) = 19.2, which is not enough for the remaining trip to Mumbai

I counted the turn time already (as you see, the block time on AM's 'Research Route' function takes into account the turn time)

jghastings

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 10:20:54 pm
Has another alliance partner already used up the maximum number of Alliance Flights out of Shanghai?
ID: 8330

Air Elbonia

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 04:53:29 am
Started to dig into it tonight... it's almost midnight unfortunately I must complete this tomorrow evening Eastern time.

block time does include turn time. mathwise you appear to be correct. bugwise looking.
Air Elbonia, First in Time Travel since 2073!  (AEB ID in Game: 333)

kcclieou

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 06:59:05 am
Started to dig into it tonight... it's almost midnight unfortunately I must complete this tomorrow evening Eastern time.

block time does include turn time. mathwise you appear to be correct. bugwise looking.

Thank you very much.

FYI, I have rerouted aircraft #18894 on PEK - ORD - GRU (for I cannot stand having the aircraft half-idle not earning as much as it should). Thus the multi-city bug issue is not that urgent right now; but since I am also planning a couple of other multi-city routes (which have since been halted), I'm interested to see how everything goes.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 07:06:11 am by kcclieou »

AeroConando

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 09:16:10 am
Same problem in PW 577.... only (2) 0.5 freqs are allowed per aircraft even when routing through multiple hubs.  This happens IF the available hours left amounts only to 0.5.  If there are enough hours left to constitute at least 1.0, then the aircraft is made available for 0.5 freq (but with a "^" mark).

Example... Two aircraft have the following routings (with LAX and SFO as hubs):
- LAX-SAN 0.5
- LAX-SFO 1.0
- SFO-PDX 0.5
- plus other routes

I'd like to create a route SFO-SLC, so I should still be able to make one more 0.5 segment.  Let's assume SFO-SLC takes 1.4 hours... Aircraft A with 2 hours left will NOT show as available, but Aircraft B with 4 hours will be made available, with a 0.5 listed.

(As a result, in my game I have a lot of long-distance planes with 6+ hours left, because I can't utilize them on short domestic routes).

I hope that made sense.

EDIT: Fixed my example.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 05:59:38 am by AeroConando »

jghastings

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 05:31:13 pm
Same problem in PW 577.... only (2) 0.5 freqs are allowed per aircraft even when routing through multiple hubs.  This happens IF the available hours left amounts only to 0.5.  If there are enough hours left to constitute at least 1.0, then the aircraft is made available for 0.5 freq (but with a "^" mark).

Example... Two aircraft have the following routings (with LAX and SFO as hubs):
- LAX-SAN 0.5
- LAX-SFO 0.5
- SFO-PDX 0.5
- plus other routes

I'd like to create a route SFO-SLC, so I should still be able to make one more 0.5 segment.  Let's assume SFO-SLC takes 1.4 hours... Aircraft A with 2 hours left will NOT show as available, but Aircraft B with 4 hours will be made available, with a 0.5 listed.

(As a result, in my game I have a lot of long-distance planes with 6+ hours left, because I can't utilize them on short domestic routes).

I hope that made sense.

The problem is, you already have that plane doing two 0.5s out of SFO - one to PDX and one to LAX (it doesn't matter than you launched it from LAX, it is still a 0.5 in/out of SFO).  It's a logic thing: the plane starts in SAN, flies to LAX, then flies to SFO, then to PDX...it now needs to go somewhere from there - it cannot just teleport back to SFO to launch another route.

If neither LAX or SAN are bases of yours then your best bet is probably to launch a short-sector 1-frequency out of LAX or SFO, or have it do either LAX-SAN or SFO-PDX as a 1-frequency to get better utilisation.

AeroConando

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 06:01:25 am

The problem is, you already have that plane doing two 0.5s out of SFO - one to PDX and one to LAX (it doesn't matter than you launched it from LAX, it is still a 0.5 in/out of SFO).  It's a logic thing: the plane starts in SAN, flies to LAX, then flies to SFO, then to PDX...it now needs to go somewhere from there - it cannot just teleport back to SFO to launch another route.

If neither LAX or SAN are bases of yours then your best bet is probably to launch a short-sector 1-frequency out of LAX or SFO, or have it do either LAX-SAN or SFO-PDX as a 1-frequency to get better utilisation.

Thanks, I actually had my hypothetical example incorrect... I've edited to reflect a 1.0 freq LAX-SFO, so I still have to 0.5 freqs on that one aircraft.  I still won't be able to place a 3rd 0.5 freq (and the 2nd 0.5 from SFO) unless there's enough hours left for a complete 1.0.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 06:28:45 am by AeroConando »

pseudoswede

• Airline Manager
  • Play to win, not imitate.
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 06:45:52 am
Thanks, I actually had my hypothetical example incorrect... I've edited to reflect a 1.0 freq LAX-SFO, so I still have to 0.5 freqs on that one aircraft.  I still won't be able to place a 3rd 0.5 freq (and the 2nd 0.5 from SFO) unless there's enough hours left for a complete 1.0.

That still defies logic.

Basically, you have to follow the plane over the course of the day. It starts in SAN and flies to LAX. Then it goes from LAX to SFO. If you only have a 0.5 flight from SFO to PDX, how can it get back to SFO to complete SFO-LAX? The same goes if it starts in PDX.

Here is one example that would work, assuming SAN, LAX, and SFO are bases...

OXR-SAN-TIJ-SAN-LAX-SNA-LAX-SFO-SMF-SFO-PDX

In this example, you have three 1.0 flights and four 0.5 flights.

You can actually do SAN-LAX-SFO-PDX as 0.5 segments, however, you need enough hours at LAX or SFO to do one 1-freq flight. Why not do SFO-SMF-SFO? LAS? SJC? The only place you could add another 0.5 segment is from PDX or SAN.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 06:52:25 am by pseudoswede »

Planet Express Airways
Member of the FT Alliance
ID: 3446

Opinions expressed in my posts are suggestions to achieve maximum airline value and top rankings.
If you do not wish for either, then feel free to ignore.

AeroConando

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: May 16, 2009, 06:06:01 am
Dammit... alright, forget my example.  Here's a real life one:

On a 767-200ER (GE CF6-80C2B7F), it's flying:
- HND-KUL, 0.5
- HND-LAX, 0.5

... and it has ~3 hours left (and a 460 speed rating, 1.16 turn).  So presumably I should be able to fly LAX-SAN with a 0.5 freq, even with the turn.  But I just tried to create that route and the aircraft doesn't show.

(FYI - This is in PW 577, aircraft no. 122)

jghastings

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 09:24:56 am
Dammit... alright, forget my example.  Here's a real life one:

On a 767-200ER (GE CF6-80C2B7F), it's flying:
- HND-KUL, 0.5
- HND-LAX, 0.5

... and it has ~3 hours left (and a 460 speed rating, 1.16 turn).  So presumably I should be able to fly LAX-SAN with a 0.5 freq, even with the turn.  But I just tried to create that route and the aircraft doesn't show.

(FYI - This is in PW 577, aircraft no. 122)
Yep, sounds like a bug.  Might be similar to the one that's affecting me all the time, where I don't get offered aircraft for 0.5 routes even when they've got more than enough hours left and the route will not defy the rules of the game (or logic) etc.  I normally encounter this problem when I've got a plane doing a 0.5 and a 1.0 already, and the only solution I have found is to shut down the 1.0, open the new 0.5 and then re-open the 1.0.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk