Airline Mogul Forum

Not making money - maintenance costs?

skumfrik

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
on: April 02, 2009, 07:55:14 pm
I am for the first time playing AM not making money! :P Is it the maintenance costs or is my routes just not enough profitable?

I have 20 737-200 Adv.'s and 4 MD-81, the maintenance costs are about 70 mill euros, and my fleet is old, approximately 10 yrs. I wonder how the scale of maintenace costs rise when the plane is ageing? Does anyone know about how much will I save in maintenance cost when replacing my fleet with new planes?
Thanks

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 07:58:50 pm
If the average age of your fleet is 10 years you are definitely going to get crippled with maintenance. Its time to start replacing them!
Stephen Murphy
Airline Mogul Chief Developer

sla31

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 08:01:42 pm
Yeah get some new shinny jets!  ;)
Bryce Rea

skumfrik

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 08:38:57 pm
Thanks, I will. How a significant decrease in maintenace cost can I expect? :P

XeniaAirways

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 12:35:00 am
Here's what I'm noticing with my Fokkers and Tupolevs in 1968... I currently operate a fleet of Fokker F27-200s, Fokker F27-400s, Tupolev Tu-104As, Tupolev Tu-114s, and Tupolev Tu-124s (replacing Fokker aircraft).

I have just begun to replace my F27-200s, F27-400s, and Tu-104As and I have noticed that after 1.5 years of service, the appraised value of my aircraft is roughly 80% of the price of a new aircraft.  Go figure.

From what I've heard as well, it seems like Airline Mogul may also factor in commonality into the game -- my costs have been relatively low compared to some of my rivals in my private world... at one point, with my Fokkers and Tupolev Tu-104As and with double the airplanes of my rival CominAir, my maintenance was half of his.  His aircraft weren't too old (average age was 0.7 years), but he operated Helio H600B Stallions, a variety of Antonovs, Ilyushins, and Pilatus PC-6/350 aircraft.  It appears that the commonality killed him.  Since you operate both McDonnell Douglas and Boeing aircraft, there is virtually no commonality, despite Boeing having acquired McDonnell Douglas...

@Stephen: In the game, 10 years for an aircraft = old, but in real life, 10 years is pretty good... in fact, if the average fleet age is around 10 years, at least among the U.S. carriers, that's great.  Just take a look at American Airlines' average fleet age... ;-)
Xenia Air Holdings Ltd.

Current worlds:
None.

Past worlds:
Xenia Airways - W9 and W10
Zenith Airlines - PW133
AsiaExpress - PW465
silversky - PW705

ID#14564.

pseudoswede

• Airline Manager
  • Play to win, not imitate.
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 05:20:19 am
I have just begun to replace my F27-200s, F27-400s, and Tu-104As and I have noticed that after 1.5 years of service, the appraised value of my aircraft is roughly 80% of the price of a new aircraft.  Go figure.

FYI... planes depreciate in a straight-line fashion. 1/240th of its value every game month.

Planet Express Airways
Member of the FT Alliance
ID: 3446

Opinions expressed in my posts are suggestions to achieve maximum airline value and top rankings.
If you do not wish for either, then feel free to ignore.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk