Airline Mogul Forum

European hub strategy / thoughts?

flyjoe72

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
on: October 28, 2009, 12:06:57 pm
I am going to expand with a new base in European the private world I am in and I would like some input on the possible choices.  Based on the competition at the major European airports, the two best options are Barcelona (30.2m pax) and Brussels (18.5m pax).  While BCN has the higher pax count, it's location means it will take more aircraft with longer flights to reach some of the larger destinations in Scandinavia, Eastern Europe, and the British Isles.

Is it worth setting up in BRU for the shorter flights or does it make sense in the long run to set up in BCN and tap into the higher pax counts.  BRU doesn't have any airline bases, while BCN has one with a small amount of flights, although I do not know their future growth plans.

Thanks.

CHR

• Brokers
  • Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 01:02:59 pm
You are probably better basing in Brussels. You will save a considerable amount of time on the aircraft being closer to the bulk of airports in Europe (you may even consider something a bit more to the East). In terms of ticket prices, you would generally make a little more in Barcelona, however I think the increased distance would probably offset any advantage there. As there is also less competition in Brussels, it sounds like a good place to base. You should remember that the medium-large airports (like Brussels) are often better than the really large ones because they have far less competition, yet are still large enough to make them have quite high ticket prices.

pseudoswede

• Airline Manager
  • Play to win, not imitate.
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 02:54:58 pm
Granted, we have zero clue about your operations.

Please read this.

Planet Express Airways
Member of the FT Alliance
ID: 3446

Opinions expressed in my posts are suggestions to achieve maximum airline value and top rankings.
If you do not wish for either, then feel free to ignore.

flyjoe72

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 10:26:01 pm
My apologies... first time I have posted one of these questions

Airline ID: 25083
World ID: 923
Current world year: 1993
Current bases: PHX (138 flights), DTW (187 flights)
DOC: € 21,865,843
Airline link: http://www.airlinemogul.com/airlinemogul/show_airline.php?id=25083&wid=923

I have enough available aircraft to launch about 60 flights initially and may pick up a couple of ATR-72s off the market to hit those under 1m pax airports.

Thanks,

pseudoswede

• Airline Manager
  • Play to win, not imitate.
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 01:14:16 am
It also depends on your goals for the game.

Want to be top 5? Set all of your bases in North America. And your DOC is way too low to be buying long-range planes.

Want to just have fun? Then choose whatever airport you think you'd most enjoy. I personally would start in BCN. If the incumbent airline starts to boss you around, and you don't want to fight, then move to BRU.

Planet Express Airways
Member of the FT Alliance
ID: 3446

Opinions expressed in my posts are suggestions to achieve maximum airline value and top rankings.
If you do not wish for either, then feel free to ignore.

flyjoe72

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 01:49:44 am
Thanks for your input.  I play AM to have fun.  If I get a top 5, cool, but if not, it's no biggie.  I'll definitely open up another base in the US after I get a foreign one.  I'll check out the BCN competition again and decide.   Appreciate it.

BINDU

• Airline Mogul Admins
  • Airline Operative
  • Airline Mogul Data Officer (Airports)
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 02:55:59 pm

BCN

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk