Airline Mogul Forum

The foreign focus cities...

nwadeltaboy

• Airline Senior Manager
  • AM's official Spammer. Check my post counts.
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: August 12, 2008, 07:09:40 pm
LOL Nitin :D

I must say I have to agree with Chavaquiah on this one.  If I were a big airline and I wanted to give up two really good domestic bases for one mediocre Foreign base, that is my decision.  Just remember that if they do that to  you, it is there loss. :)

And, erm, what exactly does that have to do with the new forum? -Mr.Orange
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 09:30:35 pm by MrOrange »

KaZoom-URD

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: August 12, 2008, 07:20:07 pm
Northwest (NWA) does, IIRC.

Northwest: US, Holland (AMS), Japan (NRT)

As i understand,all theyre inter European flights are operated on KLM-Metal?
Aswell as theyre Japanese couterpart are operated on JAL/ANA-metal?

Sorry, I don't quite get the point. Do you propose the addition of a focus city that's reserved for one airline only as far as creating a base is concerned? The last part of the above quote I do get, and that's essentially codesharing, as far as I can tell. Codesharing is on our to-do-list but without an ETA.
Not quite what i had in mind.
basicly what i ment was:
You Choose 1 City, at start. And can only fly out of that 1 city, you cannot create anymore Hùb`s/Bases/Focus-cities.
If/when you join an alliance you could use the Hub`s/Bases/Focus-cities of other airliners that are part of the alliance, and fly out of the alliance members Hub`s/Bases/Focus-cities.

As for your suggestion...
Would it be unfair to players who don't join alliances?
Not necessarily, one idea could be to let "single" players have 2 Hub`s/Bases/Focus-cities in theyre start region.
Or 2-3 Hub`s/Bases/Focus-cities in total everywhere they choose? (Unless capacity is full on airport,ofc.)
Then if they choose to join an alliance later on they have to choose which Hub`s/Bases/Focus-cities to say good-bye to aswell as any aircrat based in thoose Hub`s/Bases/Focus-cities. in order to avoid cheating regarding changing newer/better/ etc. aircraft over to the choosen alliance Hub/Base/Focus-city a back-log would refuse any aircraft thats been moved between airports the past? 6 months?
Would it create a whole lot of conflicts in between players?
No, not more than the usual short headed comments would do?
back to topic
World dominance would require teamwork. Only the best at teamwork should be ranked#1
Teamwork isnt easy, we all know that but it serves a common good to learn in a harmless game.
and you could allways play "solo"...

Small aircraft are in favor, generally because they carry less passengers and can therefore charge more on average. With high demand and low supply, prices always go up. Also, speed is actually a factor in loadfactor calculation, so virtual passengers will in fact prefer the faster aircraft.
But at present, i dont see much of an impact on the favourability of the faster option vs. slow/small option
The example i used was based on a MXP-LHR route, as i recall around LHR 60 mill - MXP 23 mill. passengers.
So i guess demand was high, and supply low :)
as i recall only small and slow aircraft were occupying the route untill i placed a 52 seater with a speed factor of 4
times the slowest aircraft. i seem to recall only around 250-300 passengers were handled a day on the route.
But as we dont have different classes onboard the aircraft, and aircraft data seems to be from the manufacturers maximum capacity of passengers, it seems to me a bit an uneven distribution of favourability? since all manufacturers operate with roughly the same spacing per passenger.

We know it's too easy, which is why we're going to be introducing a lot of features that will essentially slow down the game's economy. Order books, for instance, are one way of doing that, since now you won't be able to recieve a vast number of aircraft from one manufacturer at the same time, therefore limiting the speed with which aircraft will arrive in your fleet. We will also be working on more micro-management related features in order to give you guys more work and slow down the game.
3xCheers from me :)

What is it about the "artificial limits"? The world "reality" is an "artificially defined" stage of interaction / performance. The "economy" is technically meaningless. That said, whether the game mimics "reality" doesn't really matter, because the "reality" is built upon "artificial limits".

->> Hence, whether the limits regarding focus cities are artificial or not, should not make any difference, and your point is invalid.
Thank you for acreditting the expression to me, but theres no reason to do so
especially since i
1. didnt introduce it.
2. asked a question, as to what is percieved and understood as an above mentioned, but thanks to you its all very clear now. Youll make a fine philosopher or spin-doctor. :D

A 4x faster plane is likely to have 5~6 times more seats, and thus need 4~6 times as many pax to fill. If the player operating the faster plane is satisfied with flying just the amount of pas as the slower plane would have with 100% lf, the ticket price of the faster plane would have been higher, altough the lf would be somewhere about 17~20% only.
Sounds fair enough, but still think speed should be favoured more than size. and that this should be reflected more in the form of slower planes loosing more €, to maintain lf per passenger than at present.

pardon my poor english its my 5 Language! i hope i have claryfied my suggestions.

MrOrange

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: August 12, 2008, 09:39:51 pm
As i understand,all theyre inter European flights are operated on KLM-Metal?
Not all of them, IIRC.

Not quite what i had in mind.
basicly what i ment was:
You Choose 1 City, at start. And can only fly out of that 1 city, you cannot create anymore Hùb`s/Bases/Focus-cities.
If/when you join an alliance you could use the Hub`s/Bases/Focus-cities of other airliners that are part of the alliance, and fly out of the alliance members Hub`s/Bases/Focus-cities.
That one's definitely not gonna happen ever. No offense, but it just won't work. First, it will drive inter-alliance competition to a level you're not gonna like, second, it's plain unrealistic, even more than the current system, which has its flaws, but approaches realism as closely as it will ever get.

No, not more than the usual short headed comments would do?
Not trying to be a wise-ass, but please stop responding like that, it doesn't help.

But at present, i dont see much of an impact on the favourability of the faster option vs. slow/small option
That's what I was trying to make clear, you won't quickly notice it.

Chavaquiah

• Airline Supervisor
  • E outra vez conquistaremos a Distância
    • View Profile
    • SkyPact-Concept Alliance
Reply #18 on: August 13, 2008, 12:58:41 am
BTW, this is not a whining post. This is a post that is aiming at increasing the quality of the game. In case you did not notice it, i put forwards some suggestions.

Even though I meant no offense (at least not to you), my mention of whining posts was less than civil. I apologize.

Did you stop to consider that the very same rule allows an African airline to open a hub at LHR?

Uhm, yes i did. Problem is that you need cash, planes and available gates. For the airline at LHR, thats the worlds easiest task. That is much harder for an airline in Africa.

Ive been playing in rounds where it took me only the first game year to reach a fleet of 30 planes, based at a large airport. You cant do that in Africa.

I absolutely respect your opinion. That's not to say I agree with it. It is my view that these suggestions (keep big airlines out of Africa, obtain exclusivity rights to certain hubs or routes, create a charter market but keep big airlines out of it, impose a minimum fare of €100, etc. and so on ad nausea) would only detract from the simulation aspect while doing nothing to improve game play for most of the player base.

True, an airline operating in a big market has some advantages. In AM as in Real Life.

It's not like starting bases and continents are dealt at random. It's not like a few airlines start big while others start very poor. We each pick our starting conditions.

True, there are many ways to play the game/simulation and being the richest airline is not everyone's goal. Trying to build a viable airline in a difficult market is certainly challenging and, because of this, potentially more interesting for many players. But if you then go and take away the challenges and difficulties, what are you left with? An utterly boring sandbox?

On a final note, why don't we just wait for Private Worlds? If I understand correctly, those will allow anyone to setup a "world" with only African airports, or one with no "foreign" hubs...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk