Airline Mogul Forum

W3 - How do you make money with A300 on a competetive route?

Cheung Airlines

• Brokers
  • Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #30 on: June 03, 2008, 12:24:30 pm
In fact, I wanna ask 1 question.
Why would a larger aircraft ended up in VERY low price that it is non-profitable compared to smaller a/cs?
It should be more expensive or similiar price compared to smaller planes.
If it is the way how the real world's passengers would choose, why most of those large airlines are operating 747s or even A380s which will be definetly less profit making than a 777 or 737 in AM.
The turning time should be varied, too.
On short routes, refueling or empting toilets rarely happen on short routes in real worlds.
I wonder how the staffs calculate those turning times.

My ID: |||||||||  - ||||||||||||||||
             A M ID:  1  02 5   2    (0)

nwadeltaboy

• Airline Senior Manager
  • AM's official Spammer. Check my post counts.
    • View Profile
Reply #31 on: June 03, 2008, 06:40:44 pm
The only reason why one would buy an A300 is for those routes with lots of competition :P

CHR

• Brokers
  • Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #32 on: June 04, 2008, 12:00:34 pm
If a route has lots of competition, it is probably not worth flying it. I find that (based in LHR) almost always, the smaller routes are more profitable than the bigger ones anyway. You would be better off buying 2-3 smaller planes (than A300) and 3-4 times as many small routes. You would make heaps more money.
The big problem with the A300, is that big routes have too much competition for them to be worth flying and small routes are too small to fly them without ruining the route and making less money than you would otherwise (I will note that I infact have 7 A300s, mainly operating on the aforementioned unprofitable routes from LHR and FRA, making less money than the smaller planes I have (about 200k each daily), so I am probably not exactly following my own advice...).

Cheung Airlines

• Brokers
  • Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #33 on: June 04, 2008, 12:06:01 pm
Quote from: "CHR"
If a route has lots of competition, it is probably not worth flying it. I find that (based in LHR) almost always, the smaller routes are more profitable than the bigger ones anyway. You would be better off buying 2-3 smaller planes (than A300) and 3-4 times as many small routes. You would make heaps more money.
The big problem with the A300, is that big routes have too much competition for them to be worth flying and small routes are too small to fly them without ruining the route and making less money than you would otherwise (I will note that I infact have 7 A300s, mainly operating on the aforementioned unprofitable routes from LHR and FRA, making less money than the smaller planes I have (about 200k each daily), so I am probably not exactly following my own advice...).

You are not the only one who find out larger planes are less money-making than smaller planes.....
I have operated about 8 747 and 20 DC-8/10s before and their DOP are devastating.... :cry:

Thats the reason why I asked the question above

My ID: |||||||||  - ||||||||||||||||
             A M ID:  1  02 5   2    (0)

nwadeltaboy

• Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #34 on: June 04, 2008, 10:53:12 pm
There are a few routes where I have my DC-8-63 on a very short route.  Most notable is the 21 nm Detroit-Windsor run, with me flying my DC-8-63 and another very large airline flying his A300 :lol:

The only reason I myself buy A300's is to be able to compete with those guys who buy them. :D

Chavaquiah

• Airline Supervisor
  • E outra vez conquistaremos a Distância
    • View Profile
    • SkyPact-Concept Alliance
Reply #35 on: June 04, 2008, 11:04:35 pm
Quote from: "nwadeltaboy"
The only reason I myself buy A300's is to be able to compete with those guys who buy them. :D

It's an arms race! :twisted:

nwadeltaboy

• Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #36 on: June 04, 2008, 11:22:55 pm
Quote from: "mg35pt"

741 SR! :twisted:

Skyfox

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #37 on: June 05, 2008, 02:34:58 am

hehe, They are route destroying nuclear missles.

yourefired

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #38 on: June 05, 2008, 06:53:46 am
Quote from: "Skyfox"

hehe, They are route destroying nuclear missles.

Not always. They are warranted in certain cases....i.e. JFK-LAX. I personally like the A300-600, but I'd like a little more range....another 800 miles range and it would be perfect. Overall, an excellent mid-range aircraft.

For the record, I have 31 of these nuclear missiles and intend to order more.

Air Canada, LLC (Private W224)

boilermaker

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #39 on: June 15, 2008, 10:14:43 pm
Quote from: "Cheung Airlines"
In fact, I wanna ask 1 question.
Why would a larger aircraft ended up in VERY low price that it is non-profitable compared to smaller a/cs?
It should be more expensive or similiar price compared to smaller planes.
If it is the way how the real world's passengers would choose, why most of those large airlines are operating 747s or even A380s which will be definetly less profit making than a 777 or 737 in AM.
The turning time should be varied, too.
On short routes, refueling or empting toilets rarely happen on short routes in real worlds.
I wonder how the staffs calculate those turning times.

There are several factors: fuel used (larger ac will burn more fuel due to weight), crew (more crew members in a larger ac), maintenance, etc. A larger ac may have more seats, but you are just adding capacity. More seats (or anything else) means lower prices. Simple economics.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk