Airline Mogul Forum

Unusual airports.

d1-3508

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
on: April 25, 2007, 09:31:47 am
I have a couple of unusual airports. (now, this is only an idea. It can or cannot be added as people wish)

Stephen, did you say the prices are based on PAX as opposed to Runway Length? Well what about adding the Antarctic airports? (they would need special versions of the aircraft, maybe a B737-300MAER?)

Yes, I know it's a bit strange, but it's just a thought. The reason behind this is that Australian Antarctic Territory (AAT) have leased a A319CJ to fly Hobart-Mawson-Casey-Davis-Hobart. (Proof: http://www.aad.gov.au/default.asp?casid=29604 ).

Therefore, I present to you, the following stations:

Name: Mawson Station (Australian Antarctic Territory)
IATA: (none)
Coor: 67°36'09" S, 62°52'25" E
Pax: 90 (estimated, in winter it's 32)
Cargo: ? (N/A, might be around the 10 ton mark.)

Name: Davis Station (Australian Antarctic Territory)
Coor: 68°34'35" S, 77°58'02" E
Pax: 140 (estimated, in winter it's 70)
Cargo: ? (N/A, might be around the 10 ton mark.)

Name: Mirny Station (Russian)
Coor: 66°33'00" S, 93°01'00" E
Pax: 169
Cargo: ? (N/A, might be around the 10-15 ton mark.)

Note: There will be more added in a later post.
EO of Pacfic Blue, ID 302.
Senior Editor of AMM (Airline Mogul Magazine)
2nd Most Southerly Member in the game.
No longer an admin.

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 11:42:05 am
Should we add in the Antarctic as a continent then?
Stephen Murphy
Airline Mogul Chief Developer

tomauer

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
    • Philippine Airlines Virtual
Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 12:02:28 pm
Intresting idea, Another note, The special version's of aircraft (like you suggested, 737-300MAER) could vary, as in Alaska Airlines, they use/used special versions of the 732, suited for the weather in those harsh region's, It would be intresting to choose what special features for the aircraft.. like ski's adv braking.. etc

I would like to think that if we open up the antarctic for service, that it will be limited, as i can forsee someone placing their 744 fuelstop at one of those airport's, highly unrealistic.. I think i have suggested this before, but what about some restriction, "landing rights" will help, and the Antarctic isn't a passenger destination is it, (apart from the few rich, brave tourist's) it's mostly researchers and scientist's.. so what can i say, a nice suggestion but a really hard one to work around, I suppose it IS possible to base an airline in Antarctica, although.. actually, Antarctica is protected, you would get greenpeace jumping from cessna's to stop you...

hmmm, a hard one if you want to keep it realistic.. IMO.

cheers. nice suggestion.. would be nice to see it worked, would be even better if you could only fly charter flights to those suggested airports... this would stop it, and im not sure, but there are no sheduled service's allowed yet?

meh, lets see others opinons...

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 12:22:05 pm
I did add an airport in Greenland with 0 pax so that one person could fly from Ireland to East Coast US with a Fokker 27, any routes to the Antarctic apart from very large airports would be loss making and I'd say you'd have the same proportion of people setting up there as you would people visiting it, like you said tomauer!
Stephen Murphy

Air Elbonia

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 04:32:31 pm
why on earth do you have Greenland in Europe anyways...
Air Elbonia, First in Time Travel since 2073!  (AEB ID in Game: 333)

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 05:26:39 pm
Quote from: "Air Elbonia"
why on earth do you have Greenland in Europe anyways...

It is probably the same reason, to reach the Americas with an F27! :)
Stephen Murphy

d1-3508

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 12:07:43 am
Quote from: "tomauer"
Intresting idea, Another note, The special version's of aircraft (like you suggested, 737-300MAER) could vary, as in Alaska Airlines, they use/used special versions of the 732, suited for the weather in those harsh region's, It would be intresting to choose what special features for the aircraft.. like ski's adv braking.. etc.

The 737-200MAER (M=Combi, A=Antarctic, ER=Extended Range) would most likely be limited to certain airlines, (airlines that base their operations south of the equator.) and would feature Skis, Anti-freeze, etc... Possibly also being used in the Artic region.
Stephen, is it possible to add a notes section to the aircraft? (a box where you enter the notes, such as fictious model, skis, etc...?)

I would like to think that if we open up the antarctic for service, that it will be limited, as i can forsee someone placing their 744 fuelstop at one of those airport's, highly unrealistic.. I think i have suggested this before, but what about some restriction, "landing rights" will help, and the Antarctic isn't a passenger destination is it, (apart from the few rich, brave tourist's) it's mostly researchers and scientist's.. so what can i say, a nice suggestion but a really hard one to work around, I suppose it IS possible to base an airline in Antarctica, although.. actually, Antarctica is protected, you would get greenpeace jumping from cessna's to stop you...

Yes, it would be limited to 50 gates, as well as the fact that it will NOT be possible to base an airline in antartica. (if anyone does, their airline will be deleted.) Now, because of that webpage that I posted, that gives FACTUAL evidence that it is possible.

hmmm, a hard one if you want to keep it realistic.. IMO.

Two blocks above.

cheers. nice suggestion.. would be nice to see it worked, would be even better if you could only fly charter flights to those suggested airports... this would stop it, and im not sure, but there are no sheduled service's allowed yet?

No, the C-130's to and from Invercargill (uncertain) are scheduled at once monthly. The A319CJ will be the same from Hobart.

Quote from: "StephenM"

I think so, but we'll see at the moment.
No longer an admin.

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 01:13:52 am
Quote from: "d1-3508"

I think so, but we'll see at the moment.

We are good to go I think.
Stephen Murphy

d1-3508

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 01:52:22 am
Mirny & Davis added as a trial, Airports coded under AN#, AT# & AR# (#=Number 0-9 in order of when they were added.)
No longer an admin.

d1-3508

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007, 04:28:31 am
Stephen, Could you please fix the script for the Edit gates (Antartic's not there)
No longer an admin.

d1-3508

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: April 26, 2007, 07:06:48 am
(Third post in a row in this topic today).

Now, I am planning to add a Boeing 737-300MAER to the game, but it will be limited. (I will be in control with who gets what, as well as the fact that there will only be 100 frames made.)

Right, we have some photos to look at.
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/426860/M/ is a Alaskan Airlines 737-290C/Adv.
http://www1.airpics.com/showimg.php?imgid=5845 is a Busy Bee (Norway) 737-200.

Both of those are good examples of what the 737-300MAER would look like (just a bit longer). There may also be a Bombardier CRJ-440MAER in the planning, of which there will only be 20 frames constructed.

Also to be added are most other sations, including Amundsen-Scott, Vostok and McMurdo
No longer an admin.

tomauer

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
    • Philippine Airlines Virtual
Reply #11 on: April 26, 2007, 07:47:23 am
Ahh, Is it just me but those antarctic airports are found in Asia's page..

wrong location guys!  :lol:

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: April 26, 2007, 08:16:30 am

Now, I am planning to add a Boeing 737-300MAER to the game, but it will be limited. (I will be in control with who gets what, as well as the fact that there will only be 100 frames made.)

One way to do that is set the date of service entry a year or 2 ahead and use the admin panel to deliver a few test subjects.
Stephen Murphy

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: April 26, 2007, 08:22:20 am
Stephen, Could you please fix the script for the Edit gates (Antartic's not there)

Done.
Stephen Murphy

d1-3508

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: April 26, 2007, 10:33:42 am

One way to do that is set the date of service entry a year or 2 ahead and use the admin panel to deliver a few test subjects.

Most likely I'll set it to 2020 or something like that. (Way out of the game's scope)
No longer an admin.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk