Airline Mogul Forum

Point to point?

Bobandirus

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
on: January 11, 2008, 07:37:25 am
New to the forums, and game, so don't flame me if this is a silly mistake

Is there anyway to do point to point routes? Because I cant research any, and dont wanna have to buy a new plane so I can plan a route.

Any help?

Air Elbonia

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 07:47:02 am
s'alright, welcome to AirlineMogul.

AirlineMogul restricts route origins to focus cities [no point to point flights] at the moment, and this is unlikely to change in the presently forseeable future.  At the onset you pick a city for your first base to be at, this is where all your routes can originate from or fly to [depending on which leg it's on].  A plane can connect through cities ONLY SO LONG AS one of the cities in the pair is a focus city.  [so. for example: you can fly FC1->Airport A with one plane, and if you have a second focus city you can create with that same plane a route from FC2->Airport A, as the two routes connect through Airport A and each route has at least one focus city.]

A player by themself is allowed only 6 focus cities on their home continent/region [so, for example, if you started in our North America (US/Can), you can only create focus cities in North America].  A player needs 4 gates at a target airport on their home continent to create a focus city, and a focus city costs 50x[airport's monthly rate] to create.

A player can also, however, join an alliance.  Some alliances allow shared use of their members focus cities.  Please note these numbers are shared alliance wide [so 20 routes means 20 routes for the whole alliance who isn't based at that airport themselves].  The catch is you [by joining] automatically share your focus cities for whatever number the alliance defined level is, which can be [as some players may tell you from personal experience] quite detrimental or can be [as others can tell you] quite useful.  To use an alliance members focus city you need free cap room in the route cap and a gate at the airport.

Feel free to pepper me with further questions if you like.  I hope my answer helped.
Air Elbonia, First in Time Travel since 2073!  (AEB ID in Game: 333)

Bobandirus

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 11:42:15 am
Ok, fair enough. It would be good if that could be implamented, because they can be lucrative.
What sort of money should you be either loosing or makeing in the first few days? Because I am looseing money  :(  gone into negative :oops:
Should i request re-set or is this normall? I picked low usage routs (exeter to dundee, and exeter to lorient) because i gessed there would be no compatition. Was this a good move :P? Or just stupid?

iranair777

• Brokers
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 11:46:23 am
depends on aircraft capacity, But flying routes with the least competition can give you quite a good income, but depends on the loadfactor and gate costs. Whats your DOP?

Bobandirus

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 11:49:59 am
248 euros. What is a DOP

nwadeltaboy

• Airline Senior Manager
  • AM's official Spammer. Check my post counts.
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 12:02:06 pm
whatever money you make in one day, eg from tickets, food and drink, etc. :wink:

dktc

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 12:06:16 pm
Reading the manual would help. You have to help us help you, and we help you help us help you by making resources like the manual and old forum threads available to you.
D Express (id 616) 8)
AM Membership Officer / Official Broker

AirHanoverInternational

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 12:46:29 pm
Quote from: "Bobandirus"
248 euros. What is a DOP

In the right upper corner you will find the line:
DOP: €10,000,000 <- or whatever your DOP is

To see if you are really running into the negative go to your "Finance" screen and look for your "Projected Totals". If this value is negative you will probably bancrupt soon :roll:
an (AirHanoverInternational ID:5980)

Air Elbonia

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 09:45:03 pm
Quote from: "Bobandirus"
248 euros. What is a DOP

Daily revenues [tickets/food and drink] minus daily expenses [staff, fuel, fees/food drink].  Monthly expenses/revenues [leases, gate rental] are not figured into this number.  For every 50,000 worth of gate you rent, you probably want to have a minimum DOP of about 2,100 [as we operate on a 24 hour day. so 2,000 + 1/24th of 2000 is the daily breakdown for each gate].  As mentioned before, the finance section has some good projections and "actual" numbers to help you figure out if you're actually making or losing money.  This only shows on a month to month basis the present month's data.

Point-to-point can be lucrative in the real world, however having played a few games that offer point to point service it can be frustrating as well.  I've had experiences [elsewhere] where a player from halfway around the "world" randomly dumped a large aircraft on my most lucrative routes simply because they could.  I like the Focus City and Alliance method, combined with the regional openskies, because it offers a lot of flexibility for players without encurring too much frustration of some airline from the other side the world trashing all your routes.

Bobandirus

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 10:29:19 pm
Well thats alright then,
just re-set, DOP currently 11K, gates costing 100K, is that good? or will that go down?

FYI this is one plane going 1 route

Also, fair enough about the point to point, i can see now why it aint gona be moddled in.

Air Elbonia

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 10:56:44 pm
gates @ 100k; dop of 11k, it looks like the gates are paid off within 10 game-days, leaving the rest of the month's dop as profit... probably pretty good. how steady your dop is can be based on competition and how aggressive you/they are in keeping 100% lf.

Bobandirus

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008, 11:05:39 pm
Im happy happy happy

... Im makeing money!  :D  8)  :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk