Airline Mogul Forum

Some newbie questions about the "famous" .5 rule

johanfrc

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
on: November 22, 2007, 10:02:53 pm
Well. I'm not that into the .5 rule so I have a question about it. I hope it's okay with you. I have tried to search but not found an answer to it.

What does .5 means? Does it mean that the plane is making a single trip (from A to B, but no return) or I'm I wrong?

To make the game even more realistic a rule could be made that a plane must only make 1 X.5 flight.

Let me give an example.

Let's say I have an L-1049 flying 3 routes. 2 in Europe and then 0,5 to the USA.

A Monday flying its European routes and then it's flying to USA. It stays in USA during the night and then in the morning it's flying back to Europe. When it has arrived in Europe on Tuesday, it's flying its 2 European routes again spending the night in it's base. Then On Wedensday it's starting the same flights as it did on Monday.

Could the game get something like this when it's restartted in 1960?

Seattle

• Airline Senior Manager
  • Hello! Send me a PM!
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 10:11:19 pm
to do that, I think the game would actual schuedling, otherwise I cant see this working.
British Pan Airways (BPA)

Serving London Heathrow to You and the Rest of the World!

Fly with our lie-flat beds in first and business class on all longhaul planes!

~BPA, Relax, Enjoy, Fly.

Blue Sky Mine

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 10:14:29 pm
No, in reality and ingame the plane could do up to two 0.5 frequencies. If you see anyone doing more than these this guy is a cheater, plz report him to staff/at/airlinemogul./dotcom

EDIT by AEB:  In game the rule of 2 .5's is per city pair (say MSP-ORD), regardless of plane or other factors.  This includes 1.5, 2.5 3.5...x.5's.  In game at the moment more then 2 .5's per airplane is valid, as long no more then 2 of them go between the same cities.  See following post for how and why this is being worked on to be improved next age.
EO Blue Sky Mine (XAI), ID 2041

Mein Maserati fährt 210,
Schwupp, die Polizei hat´s nicht geseh´n,
das macht Spaß!
Ich geb Gas, ich geb Gas

Air Elbonia

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 10:43:43 pm
Next age an improved rule will be put into the code which will cap .5's relatively.  it will not be perfect, however it will be significantly better then it is at the moment.  Essentially, if the game sees 2 one-ways at either city for the airplane, it will prevent you from doing a third one-way flight. from that airport for that airplane.  It won't be perfect (an airplane may still wind up with illogical one-way flights), but it will be significantly better then present. No, i cannot implement this change mid-age, as too many routes exist at the moment which would be in violation of this rule (it'd cause huge problems, headaches, and annoyances for players).

The problem at the moment is without actual schedules i'm having a hard time coming up with the proper logic to determine if something can otherwise be a one-way flight or a round trip flight only, and frankly putting together a realistic scheduling system is just one big project too many for the short term.  I'm still hoping i can figure out a way without a drastic rewrite of how routes are handled in the game, but until then i'll do the best i can to curb one-way flights to semi-realistic levels.  No. a cap of 2 one-ways per plane is not always logical or accurate. (A-B one-way, B-C round trip, C-D one-way is an illogical route pattern for one-way flights.  A-B one-way, B-C one-way, C-D one-way is a perfectly valid logical chain of one-way flights which contains 3 one-ways.)
Air Elbonia, First in Time Travel since 2073!  (AEB ID in Game: 333)

Jps

• Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: November 23, 2007, 09:17:58 am
There's a new invention in AM. It's called Teleporting. When you do a 0.5 route to let's say LIS-DUB. After the route.. the plane gets "teleported" back to your hub (LIS) to start another route.

:lol:

ID: 5000 ~ Flying Beyond The Stars

Daemonfly

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: November 23, 2007, 10:47:08 am
Any significant changes (like a "waypoints" system, for lack of better description), would probably take a good amount of coding to implement, on top of everything else they have to do. :(

I always thought 0.5s should be the end of that plane's routes for the day (since we can't "chain" yet - see below).

I'd also like to see routes being continued(only) from non-base airports. Ex:
base->AP1->AP2->AP3->base.
or:
base1 -> non-base Airport -> Base2

The route would have to start at a base, can't start from a non-base airport, like current rules. These would all be 0.5 routes to each point along the path, but the planes routes for the day would always end at the last base or airport at the end of the chain. If the chain ended at the same or another base, then it can continue on another chain. If the chain ended up at a non-base airport, then that whole chain would be considered a 0.5 "route" and would continue reverse back down the chain to the base on the next day.

AirHanoverInternational

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: November 23, 2007, 11:42:29 am
Maybe a kind of a "real" scheduling on a daily or weekly basis would be something useful. But I am sure this would take a long time to code. Just an example of how it could look like(times and numbers are fictional):

(all times GMT):
B727 N345DL 149 seats
Monday
DepA ArrA DepT Arr T Fare Cost Profit
KATL KMGM 15:00 16:00 200 4,000 25,800
KMGM KMLU 16:30 17:30 100 3,600 11,300
KMLU KPNS 18:00 19:00 100 3,600 11,300
KPNS KATL 19:30 20:00 200 4,000 25,800
Tuesday

While KATL is a base the routes should start and end here. The income of those routes may be divided by the amount of legs. In this case it would be 74,200/4legs= 18,550. Keeping in mind there are additional cost for gate rentals it would be expensive if a route has too many legs. Creating a second route with the same destinations should drop the price in a significant way.

Those that are familiar with AI in FS9 may understand that kind of flightplanning :wink:

I need to think of this a little bit more as it may seem too complicate now. :roll:
an (AirHanoverInternational ID:5980)

Air Elbonia

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: November 23, 2007, 07:55:03 pm
Quote from: "Daemonfly"
base1 -> non-base Airport -> Base2

quick point. this form is already possible.  however, it only works in-game as "Base1->nonbase1" and "Base2->nonbase1".  Technically it goes base1->nonbase1->base2.

longer connection chains then that between bases is not possible however.
Air Elbonia, First in Time Travel since 2073!  (AEB ID in Game: 333)

johanfrc

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: November 23, 2007, 10:35:19 pm
Quote from: "AirHanoverInternational"
Those that are familiar with AI in FS9 may understand that kind of flightplanning :wink:

Offtopic: I must say I do. I'm member of the EvolveAI Flightplanning Group.

Ontopic: Thanks. I must say that cleared a lot of things for me. I'm looking forward to 1960's and the new things that are going to be included.

AirHanoverInternational

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: November 24, 2007, 02:22:53 pm
Quote from: "johanfrc"
Quote from: "AirHanoverInternational"

Offtopic: I must say I do. I'm member of the EvolveAI Flightplanning Group.

Ontopic: Thanks. I must say that cleared a lot of things for me. I'm looking forward to 1960's and the new things that are going to be included.

As you use the same name as on the EVAI page I know who you are :wink:
an (AirHanoverInternational ID:5980)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk