• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
on: August 16, 2007, 11:53:26 am
No Gates for Atlanta.....

Pod1967

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 12:47:23 pm
That's what happens with the world busiest airport. Everyone wants to fly there.
img]http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/michaelchow810/am/cfc.jpg[/img]

juancho

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 01:19:47 pm
Is that a bug? :lol:
img]http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/1385/bannerko2.jpg[/img]

silencer22

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 01:25:31 pm
same problem in asia... est. ard 30 airports having no gates...

does anyone know if e system release gates periodically??
ilencer Airlines (ID:1168)

Pod1967

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 01:29:24 pm
Nope its not a bug. Just too many competitors.
And nope the system doesn;t release gates periodically. Gates are based on the same amount of gates in the real world.
However, if someone attempts to hog the gates and doesn;t utilise them, they are tagged for return, which means that if they are still not used by the nxt month (game time) they are returned automatically.
Although people are playing dirty to get around this by creating short routes and pumping alot of aircraft on those routes in order to fill the slots.

dktc

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 01:36:15 pm
Quote from: "Pod1967"
Nope its not a bug. Just too many competitors.
And nope the system doesn;t release gates periodically. Gates are based on the same amount of gates in the real world.
However, if someone attempts to hog the gates and doesn;t utilise them, they are tagged for return, which means that if they are still not used by the nxt month (game time) they are returned automatically.
Although people are playing dirty to get around this by creating short routes and pumping alot of aircraft on those routes in order to fill the slots.

repeating this.... gates are NOT based on the amount of gates in real world. Number of gates are based on the rent, which is based on the pax traffic.

The system does return/release hogged but not ultilized gate, but it doesn't add more new gates. (which Pod1967 has it correctly)

As for playing dirty or not... how do you define whether it is hogging or that the players just want to fly short routes (like someone who bragged here in the forum about one flight between two very near destination every several minutes :roll: ). All we can say is that it is a legitimate move in the game (although it could be looked down upon by some players.)
D Express (id 616) 8)
AM Membership Officer / Official Broker

Pod1967

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 02:14:02 pm
Quote from: "dktc"
As for playing dirty or not... how do you define whether it is hogging or that the players just want to fly short routes (like someone who bragged here in the forum about one flight between two very near destination every several minutes :roll: ). All we can say is that it is a legitimate move in the game (although it could be looked down upon by some players.)

I define playing dirty as having about 80 flights per day on a route which would take you 30mins to drive in a car. I tend to think of the game as in real world terms. You wouldn;t have that amount of flights for short routes as passengers would need to arrive at the airport 2 hours prior to the flight, board the aircraft, fly there which would most probably take 5 times the time by travelling other means. However that's just my view. You said yourself its a legitimate move. I was annoyed when I seen it happen at Rome, however after snapping up some gates I had to do it to secure 6 spare gates (which are now fully utilised).

I was sure I seen a post from Stephen saying that if someone could prove there were more gates in real world he would add more gates, thats what made me think that the number of gates was related to the gates in real life. Obviously I was wrong.

juancho

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 02:21:30 pm
That tactic is gate hogging and it is dirty any way you cut it.
img]http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/1385/bannerko2.jpg[/img]

dktc

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 02:40:50 pm
Quote from: "juancho"
That tactic is gate hogging and it is dirty any way you cut it.

hmm... theoretically, there is nothing as dirty; or there is nothing that is clean. Anything you make a profit out of means you abuse someone (either buy less than it is worth, or sell more than it is worth). You can say that all businessmen are dirty (and I don't mean personal hygiene :P ).

Personally, I can't disagree with you but until we can figure out a way to prevent these occurences, without hindering / causing much inconveniences to the normal game play, it remains legitimate, which means it could be used as a "tactic".
D Express (id 616) 8)
AM Membership Officer / Official Broker

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk