Airline Mogul Forum

Cyprus

TheKevinShow

• Airline Operative
  • Please refrain from using ethnic slurs.
    • View Profile
on: February 21, 2012, 07:12:16 am
Wikipedia says it's included in the traditional definition of the Middle East, and since it is southeast of Istanbul, which is in the Middle East in the game, shouldn't the island be in the Middle East?

Tornado GR4A

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 07:31:38 am
I can see what you mean. However, Cyprus is still part of Europe. Before the 70s, Cyprus was owned completely by Greece. But in the 70s, Turkey invaded and captured the northern side of Cyprus so now it's politically split in two as Turkey have been allowed to keep their half. In terms of Geographic location, Cyprus is very near the Middle East so I can see where you are comig from. But where would you class the Falklands as being part of which country? and which country is Gibalter in?
Politically: I'd say that Cyprus is Europe as it is still technically owned by Greece
Geographically: I would say that Gibralter is situated in the Middle Eastern side of the Med. So it could be classed as Middle Eastern.

1993matias

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Senior Manager
  • Play to have fun!
    • View Profile
    • Train pins and tie clips
Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 11:00:06 am
Politically: I'd say that Cyprus is Europe as it is still technically owned by Greece
Cyprus is a sovereign state:
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/148573/Cyprus

Therefore it's bonds towards Greece aren't bigger than the bonds towards Turkey and the Middle East.

Tornado GR4A

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 08:23:50 pm
The state of Cyprus is part of the EU, so I would say that politically, they are Europe. They've also adopted the Euro which shows that they're tied in with Europe. Depending on how you classify what continent a country is in, I'd say Cyprus is definately Europe.

TheKevinShow

• Airline Operative
  • Please refrain from using ethnic slurs.
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 02:59:05 am
The state of Cyprus is part of the EU, so I would say that politically, they are Europe. They've also adopted the Euro which shows that they're tied in with Europe. Depending on how you classify what continent a country is in, I'd say Cyprus is definately Europe.
That's not that solid of an argument considering that Turkey is in negotiations to become a full member of the EU.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk