Airline Mogul Forum

EuroAirport Basel-Mulhouse-Freiburg is NOT in Switzerland.

steventommyobama

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Hey,
You have it listed in Switzerland but it's definitely within the French borders and controlled by France. 
It should be changed.

Thunderstruck

• Airline Operative
  • What goes up must come down
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 05:41:36 pm
Hello,

Although this airport is administered by both the Swiss and French authorities simultaneously and has direct access to the customs of each of these countries, it is actually located on French soil, at the extreme South of the Alsace region. For example even the car parking space on the Swiss side is actually situated in France...  

Therefore, I also think it should be moved into France, as it always perplexed me why the game has it in Switzerland ?

Virgin Serbia

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 06:46:14 am
My take on this:

While it is located in France, it is the airport of a major Swiss city. It makes searching for airports a lot more easy if you can look it up under the country of the city it is closest related to.

The airport is also called the EuroAirport BASEL-Mulhouse-Freiburg, with Basel first, meaning that people would look it up under Switzerland first.
If Malmö Sturup airport was called Copenhagen Sturup, everybody would search for it in Denmark instead of Sweden.

O0 Lotus Airlines of India (PW#2650) •

Thunderstruck

• Airline Operative
  • What goes up must come down
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 05:47:12 pm
Hey Virgin,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes I follow your logic; yet it seems to me that truth and hard facts must prevail over some people's lack of knowledge. If it's in France, it's in France - trust in the smart minds of the players, they'll figure it out.

About Basel being the most populous, this is not exactly correct. Here are recent population figures for the three cities:

Basel 166,000 pax
Mulhouse 110,000 pax
Freiburg has 222,000 pax

So according to that logic, the airport should be placed in Germany!

As a final example (and this is what made me return to this thread/debate) i copy here below an article from the BBC today relating a tragic incident in the control tower of the Euroairport, and which reveals once again under which juridic responsibility the airport falls under (France!)

Link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13212343

27 April 2011 Last updated at 13:57 GMT

France: Mulhouse airport traffic controller killed
File photo of EuroAirport near Basel, Switzerland and Mulhouse, France  Legend: Air traffic at the airport was not affected by the killing, officials said

An air traffic controller has been found stabbed to death at the EuroAirport outside Mulhouse, France, near the Swiss and German borders.

Police say the 34-year-old was found in a pool of blood in an office in the control tower that is accessible only with an identity badge.

Prosecutors have opened a murder investigation, French reports say.

The victim, a married father of one who has not been named, was a senior controller at the airport.

He was found shortly after 0800 (0600 GMT) by an employee of the airport.

Police sources said he had been stabbed in the throat, lung and chest, AFP news agency reports.

No suspects have been arrested and the murder weapon was not found at the scene.

Air traffic at the airport, which serves Basel, Switzerland, Mulhouse, France and Freiburg, Germany, was not affected, an airport spokesperson said.

Hence, I'll maintain my position which wont change anything though: this airport would most accurately be placed in France.

Virgin Serbia

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 06:02:35 pm
The 2 largest airlines at that airport are Easyjet Switzerland with 24/28 flights and Swiss International with 10/11. Air France operates the grand total of 3 flights. Lufthansa and affiliates operate 4. It certainly looks more Swiss than French to me.

Basel is Swiss, and thats the city that the airport was built to serve. Furthermore it has a Swiss customs area. It is located 6 km northwest of Basel, but 22 km southeast of Mulhouse.   
O0 Lotus Airlines of India (PW#2650) •

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk