Airline Mogul Forum

Doing fine?

MileHighClub

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
on: March 08, 2011, 11:55:07 pm
I'm new to the game and trying to do my best in public world 1860 for a couple of days now.

DOC 295.983

Homebase is AUH and I'm having 17 routes to 17 destinations

My fleet contains

1 x Castel-Mauboussin CM.100   

1 x Douglas DC-3         

1 x Page HPR-1 Marathon   

In about 20 hours 1 x Saab-90 A-2 Scandia will be delivered and I will expand my destinations

Also in about 20 hours I should have the next 5 million € and I'm thinking about getting that plane

Vickers-Armstrongs Nene-Viking

That plane is so incredably fast, that I could do 19 different routes within 23 hours 58 minutes and I could fly to every city within the planes range in my area on one day. The Castel-Mauboussin CM.100 with approxematly same range and less speed and 9 less seats wouldn't be necessary anymore.

Now my questions:

1. is it a good idea to change the planes
2. What do I do with the Castel-M… sell it? put it on lease?

What makes me unsure about this is, that I wouldn't create more routes with the new plane. One my DC3 does and two of the Marathon would be done by the Vickers but I could only create 1.5 new routes with the DC3 and the Marathon. The question is. Is it worth spending 5.2 million on 1.5 new routes (plus the 6 new destinations the Vickers does)? Or is it better to leave it like it is getting another Saab or whatever and filling ub the short range destinations to get closer to 24 hours servicetime?

1993matias

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Senior Manager
  • Play to have fun!
    • View Profile
    • Train pins and tie clips
Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 07:45:34 am
Hmmm... That area is sparse with airports. Try getting bigger planes, so you get more money, so you can get bigger planes, and so on.

When replacing, sell old planes if you can't use them. The example you give with the Nene-Viking, you can sell the Castell-Maboussin. That way, you'll earn the money back, and have more money for bigger planes.

But prepare for a challenge, as AUH (Abu Dhabi) is a relative small airport.

I hope this helped :)

MileHighClub

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 12:17:01 pm
But prepare for a challenge, as AUH (Abu Dhabi) is a relative small airport.

I hope this helped :)

you mean it might be a good idea to leave AUH as it is and create a focus city for example in DBX and focus more on that one?

1993matias

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Senior Manager
  • Play to have fun!
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 01:01:14 pm
It could be, but if you like a challenge, you can stay. Do note that bigger airports have more competition.

What year is it?

Do you have a link to your airline?

MileHighClub

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 01:11:18 pm
There wouldn't be a lot of competition in DBX. Just 4 Airlines with a total of 7 flights

It's 1951

Airline Mogul - See my airline
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 03:20:57 pm by MileHighClub »

1993matias

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Senior Manager
  • Play to have fun!
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 02:57:21 pm
Use the link called 'forum code':

Otherwise, use premium gate search. It costs 60 tokens (or ten paid), and will be a great help. You will be able to search for airports a certain distance from you, sort the data, choose which continent to search on, and so on. This way, you'll be able to fly to all airports within range of your planes.

Also, make use of aircraft search to find the aircraft best suited for you. Maybe here a player in a 50's world could help you with choice of plane? As I remember it, the Comet is out; but it is expensive. Try the Canadian counterpart, Avro Canada C102 Jetliner. Also, the Nene is of the same size, but try to compare ranges and speed.

Try to read the wiki if you want to know more about the game (wiki)

Regarding opening a new base, you'll need four gates at that airport, and then you'll have to pay the price of a gate plus 60 times the price of a new gate. So for Dubai, it will cost you a total of 19,2 million €. You can also reset you airline, but then you will have to start over.

Do not hesitate if you have more questions :)

Hal

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 03:42:16 pm
Nah he can change his base for free. Close base, log off from the world, log in and game will ask to chose starting hub. Planes will stay with airline.
Central Europe Brokerage, official broker, ID15523.

MileHighClub

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 04:21:55 pm
Nah he can change his base for free. Close base, log off from the world, log in and game will ask to chose starting hub. Planes will stay with airline.

Do I keep the gates I already rented?

Hal

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 04:24:48 pm
yes rented gates will stay too.
Central Europe Brokerage, official broker, ID15523.

1993matias

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Senior Manager
  • Play to have fun!
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 06:08:36 pm
But he will loose the first base, although it's not a very good starting base. When you have the money for it, you can open up there again if you want to.

pseudoswede

• Airline Manager
  • Play to win, not imitate.
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 08:04:16 pm
It would seem that you are missing airports south and west of AUH that are closer than some of your current routes.

Planet Express Airways
Member of the FT Alliance
ID: 3446

Opinions expressed in my posts are suggestions to achieve maximum airline value and top rankings.
If you do not wish for either, then feel free to ignore.

MileHighClub

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 09:53:21 pm
It would seem that you are missing airports south and west of AUH that are closer than some of your current routes.

Yep, at the beginning I chose the wrong strategy and tried to fly to all the big citys in the region. With the next planes I will connect to all the little citys 500 nm and closer

What is more profitable. Having as much destinations as possible or having one bigger city, let's say 800 miles away, and 3 or 4 smaller destinations 300-500 miles away?

as next planes besides the Vickers-Armstrongs Nene-Viking I would go for Martin 4-0-4 and Airspeed AS 57 Ambassador until I can afford the above mentioned. Are they OK or would you suggest different planes?

1993matias

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Senior Manager
  • Play to have fun!
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 10:07:03 pm
It is more profitable to have three routes of 200-500nm than one of 1200 nm; e.g. the long one earns 60k, the small ones earn 30k. 30k times three is 90k, thus earning more money than the long route.

I personally like the 4-0-4, but I don't have the specs of it. Try to use aircraft search to find the best aircraft.

Beware that an airline with that low DOC would have to have a lot of micromanagement.

MileHighClub

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 02:01:36 am
Beware that an airline with that low DOC would have to have a lot of micromanagement.

Ehm yes. Within that micromanagement I come up with the next question. What would you guys prefer:

As I already bought that Nene-Viking plane I'm into a special situation. When I calculate service-time for new machines it usualy ends up with 30 or 40 NM short for the next longest route. Two possabilities now come to my mind.

1. just cancel the last route, lets say it's 400 NM long and combine those miles with the closest route with an almost 24 hour service. Let's say it would be a 900 NM route.

2. Just steal hauls from the Nene-Viking until I can get rid of it asap, because I can catch the longer routes later on with better fitting airplanes.

My feeling tells me alternative 2 might be the better one because I replace a small airplane with a larger one. But is this still true, when the old one makes 407mph and the new one 271? capacity is 24 for the Nene-Viking and 40 for the 4-0-4, but i can make 19 routes a day with the smaller plane and catch all destinations within its range in a 24 hour period

hmm…
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 02:06:57 am by MileHighClub »

1993matias

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Senior Manager
  • Play to have fun!
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 07:18:40 am
The 4-0-4 will earn more money. You could also replace some of your other aircraft which aren't so good as the 4-0-4.

But as I've said before, I'm currently not in a 50's world, so I can't help you with specific aircraft. But if anyone out there is in a 50's world, you are welcome to help :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk