Airline Mogul Forum

Egyptian airports located in Middle East and Africa

Virgin Serbia

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
on: January 06, 2011, 03:39:11 pm
Hey!

I've noticed that quite a few Egyptian airports located on the African side of Suez are listed under the Middle East. Many Sinai airports are also listed as being under the Middle East. Maybe you should check them through.
O0 Lotus Airlines of India (PW#2650) •

Mattokun

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 11:53:10 pm
Although I agree with you in thinking that Egypt is part of the African continent, I must also admit that, according to G8 (as in the multi-national peace organization), Egypt is part of the Middle East.
(and I know that nobody likes it when Wikipedia is used as a source, but I do believe this is the best source for this specific topic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Greater_Middle_East_(orthographic_projection).svg)

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 09:15:01 am
AM uses a mix of geo-political locations of countries, but we also use our discretion in order to balance continents. Thats why we moved Turkey from Europe to the Middle East. Some Egyptian airports are located in Africa to give that a boost in terms of the numbers of bigger airports. Thats the primary motivation for where airports are located, they really are AM defined regions rather than strict realistic continents.
Stephen Murphy
Airline Mogul Chief Developer

Virgin Serbia

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 03:53:19 pm
Yes, but my point is that many of the Egyptian airports listed under the Middle East are actually located in Africa, and some of the airports located on Sinai are listed as being in Africa.
O0 Lotus Airlines of India (PW#2650) •

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk